• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"What If" Scenario fanfics

matt0044

Reaction score
Sometimes you look back on your life and wonder what would've happened if things had gone differently at a certain significant event of your life. You wonder if would've affected your life from then on in a very minor way or in a very major way?

But this isn't about our lousy lives. Rather it's about fanfiction stories that are based on one question: "What if things went differently in an episode of my favorite TV show or a moment in my favorite movie?" It's exactly what the question implies.

Me? I've been thinking of a "What If" scenario fic myself where I take the Pokemon: Diamond & Pearl episode "A Grand Fight For Winning" and change the ending where in Dawn defeats Zoey in the final round of the Sinnoh Grand Festival rather than the original ending where it's the other way around. I try to stay true to the writing style of the Diamond & Pearl episodes while taking some liberties (such as the TRio's rhyming speech being changed to regular speech). I'd say more but I'd rather save it for the actual fic.

So what do you think about my "What If" scenario fic and "What If" scenario fics in general?

I wouldn't mind giving them a read
I would personally go for a more important "what if"
As i don't see Dawn winning changing anything all that much

That's a very Marvel Comics approach to writing fanfiction and I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm planning a What if? fic myself, though trying to answer the question What if Ash had lost to Paul in the quarterfinals of the Sinnoh League?

It's a good concept, though if I can be blunt, the premise doesn't sound exactly promising because you're starting your fic with the main character accomplishing her goal of becoming a Top Coordinator. She'll already have "vanquished" all obstacles in her path, so where would the struggle be? Where would the hardships be? Why should I care about this character now that she's accomplished her goal? Try finding an answer to these question first before writing your fic.

Hope that helps!

I've considered the idea myself, with "What if Ash was a complete (bad word) to everyone and his Pokémon?" and I came up with him hitting Misty, enslaving Brock, abusing Pikachu, and releasing Butterfree because he thinks it is too weak. (He also forces Charmander to evolve, and Charmeleon/Charizard don't disobey him, but become wimpy Pokémon).

However, if you do go with Dawn winning, it wouldn't be as much a fanfic as it is a one shot, because I don't think you can fit her win in more than one maybe two chapters (if you are planning on just using one episode), so I would suggest trying to find a loophole and creating a series of events that lead to her win, maybe even explore Zoey and point out some things she is very insecure of that lead to her downfall.

However, if you do go with Dawn winning, it wouldn't be as much a fanfic as it is a one shot, because I don't think you can fit her win in more than one maybe two chapters (if you are planning on just using one episode), so I would suggest trying to find a loophole and creating a series of events that lead to her win, maybe even explore Zoey and point out some things she is very insecure of that lead to her downfall.

That's the thing: It's a one shot. Well, actually a two shot as there are two chapters.

@Hellion: It's just a way to show that not much would change if Dawn had won the Sinnoh GF.

I say go for it if you want to. My advice is to prepare the story before writing, and determining how the win will be executed. Also focus on Dawn and Zoey, not just the event, and explore what they feel during various scenes.

I say go for it if you want to. My advice is to prepare the story before writing, and determining how the win will be executed. Also focus on Dawn and Zoey, not just the event, and explore what they feel during various scenes.

Good idea. My plan for Dawn's win would be that Gallade's Electro Psycho Cut doesn't stop Piplup and Togekiss's Peck/Sky Attack combo and gets hit, resulting in it fainting and Zoey's remaining points being completely deducted with 2 seconds to spare. I'm not sure about this however.

Another "What If" scenario fic I'm making is both a retelling of Robotech after The Macross Saga and a fanmake of The Lion King and Megazone 23. If you want the details, feel free to ask but it's a long story.

@Hellion: It's just a way to show that not much would change if Dawn had won the Sinnoh GF.

Then I ask, what's the point of writing the story in the first place? What if? stories (or more exactly the genre of uchronia) only work if there is a change, if there is something drastically different that takes place from the historical/canon timeline. Otherwise, if that event had no impact on the character and therefore, has no meaning.

But I also agree with Kyuu, focus on the characters and their feelings.

Then I ask, what's the point of writing the story in the first place? What if? stories (or more exactly the genre of uchronia) only work if there is a change, if there is something drastically different that takes place from the historical/canon timeline. Otherwise, if that event had no impact on the character and therefore, has no meaning.

I kinda changed my mind just now and I decided to expand on my idea. I might show Ursula admitting to Dawn that she's a good coordinator (while also bragging about herself).

I might even show Zoey's return to Snowpoint City.

I don't think the story has to change any canon to become good.

In my opinion, if someone writes a fanfic just detailing the events of Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs, they could make it work and change the way it is viewed by using the same events, Pokémon, characters, sequence, but telling them from a different point of view, they could also give the characters their own reasons and feelings. In the end you might end up with the same conclusion, but everything would have been seen from a different point of view and the "bad characters" might even end up being the one you're rooting for (assuming you were rooting for the rangers when playing the game) and vice versa.

After all, it just depends on the writer's style of writing, and how he conveys the story over to the reader.

Most "what ifs" I've read were sorta like a "fake" part of a longer story; sorta like April Fools chapters. I don't actually see many full fics based around "what if" situations, though they tend to be pretty fun to read.

Be sure not to confuse what ifs with mere canon changes; only in the former is the entire story based around the particular change.

I don't think the story has to change any canon to become good.

In my opinion, if someone writes a fanfic just detailing the events of Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs, they could make it work and change the way it is viewed by using the same events, Pokémon, characters, sequence, but telling them from a different point of view, they could also give the characters their own reasons and feelings. In the end you might end up with the same conclusion, but everything would have been seen from a different point of view and the "bad characters" might even end up being the one you're rooting for (assuming you were rooting for the rangers when playing the game) and vice versa.

After all, it just depends on the writer's style of writing, and how he conveys the story over to the reader.

And that is just what I was going for.

'What if' stories, when done well of course, are usually a very good read. And to some of the above posters, why wouldn't For Want Of A Nail fics be successful? Just look at Starkan's Team 8 on FF.net for example.

Besides, they are fun to write as well. One small change can lead to big changes in the future. Plus, the current fic I'm writing is a 'what if' fic.

If you are going to do a "What if?" fic, don't make it a one-shot. Those sorts of things only work best when they go on for a while afterwards and have more of a storyline, rayher than "Dawn wins. She gets the trophy. Ash congratulates her. So does Brock"

I can't see it getting any further than a celebratory party.

Now, if you want to do a better "What if?" fic, say,

"What if Ash woke up on time on his tenth birthday?"

Anybody who's a fan of the anime will know what I mean.

....I don't think you quite understand.

If Red had failed to take down Team Rocket, there's a possibility they might have taken over the entire Kanto region. From there, who knows where they might have gone. Silver never would have gotten abandoned and would never have become Ethan/Kris/Lyra's rival. Hell, if Team Rocket took Kanto, what's to stop them from taking Johto, too? Ethan/Kris/Lyra could well have been prevented from becoming (a) trainer(s) at all. Most notably, Red would have been regarded as just another rookie who thought he was champ material and never made it anywhere.

The Silph Co. invasion is a major timeline checkpoint. It's clear to me that if it had succeeded, the Generation I/II canon would be vastly different.

^
truly lol'd at that one.

Here's one before we begin to derail the thread...

What if Misty........was a boy?

Dun dun duuuuuuun!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom