• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if these two locations existed in the world of Pokemon?

I can see like an underwater city if and only if an eccentric billionaire hears about Manaphy and wants to protect it. We all know about the old undersea temple, but that was millions of years ago.
I'd also suppose that the floating city was created by someone who has heard of and sworn to have seen arceus.

Other than Underwater and Flying Cities, could Cities built in the following locales exist in the Pokemon universe?

- A City built onto the side of a sheer cliff. Much of the City being inside the city and the sideways "Skyscrapers" acting as glorified skywalks built for residential and commercial use.

- An Underground city built on the roof of a cavern. The "Skyscrapers" built upside down. reminiscient of stalagmites

As before, their justifications for existing being the sae as the lying and undersea cities:

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

A while back, i posted the idea of there being a flying city and an underwater city (Not ruins, purposely built on the seabed) existing in the Pokemon universe. Likely one of the countless instances of Rapture and Columbia in the multiverse or "Sea of Doors" in Bioshock Infinite due to the whole "Constants and Variables" thing (There's always a lighthouse, a city and a man). Yes, this place:
0b316cdfccbb16748bfdc1dd353d88ab.jpg
9f168f0522ba9487d1fc1116b0f52c51.jpg
It's technically a crossover at this point. There's probably a door somewhere that opens up into the Pokemon world. Like their counterparts these speculative cities of moon would also use lighthouses as an entryway into both of them. The Undersea city's lighthouse needed to mark it's location on a map and the Floating City's "lighthouse" made up of several mooring masts across the world for zeppelins to dock and transfer passengers between the surface and the sky, wherever the city happens to fly over.

I usually leave this ideas as blank slates for others to interpret. Just an explanation to how these two cities were built and their architecture. I left the histories of these cities up to others to Interpret and didn't give these cities names either, so I ask you. . .

What names would you give to these two cities? What would nicknames would you also give to them? And what would be your version of the Histories of b oth cities?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the underwater city would be named Deepcoral City and would be nicknamed "the city where fish swim"
While the floating city would be named Highcloud or Skysoar City and would be nicknamed "the city where birds soar"
The story is maybe having Pokémon around made it easy to live underwater and above clouds, so people that liked water types a lot built Deepcoral, and those who liked flying types a lot built Highcloud\Skysoar.

Deepcoral has a water type gym, Highcloud\Skysoar has a flying type gym. But unlike the other flying type gyms which are more bird based, I imagine the Highcloud\Skysoar gym leader would be more special attack and HP\healing based, with moves more based on actual air elemental than birds. They would use Pokémon such as Togekiss, Altaria, Driftblim, Noivern, maybe a new Flying Eeveelution. And they would have a lot of Hurricane, Gust, Air Slash, and Air Cutter moves.

Other than Underwater and Flying Cities, could Cities built in the following locales exist in the Pokemon universe?

- A City built onto the side of a sheer cliff. Much of the City being inside the city and the sideways "Skyscrapers" acting as glorified skywalks built for residential and commercial use.

- An Underground city built on the roof of a cavern. The "Skyscrapers" built upside down. reminiscient of stalagmites

As before, their justifications for existing being the sae as the lying and undersea cities:

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."
Pokémon has always had a touch of fantastical elements and has never been one for hyperrealism. I'd say a city built in the side of a cliff or on the roof of cavern isn't impossible in the Pokémon universe, especially since I'm pretty certain locations similar to these two already exist in some form of Pokémon media. Would they be exactly like the cities from BioShock, with the same architecture and same exact justification as cities in BioShock? Probably not considering Pokémon isn't BioShock/an Objectivist satire and its universe is completely different from it.

Just curious, but is this a worldbuilding exercise for a Pokémon/Bioshock crossover? Because to me it sort of feels like it.

Last edited:
Pokémon has always had a touch of fantastical elements and has never been one for hyperrealism. I'd say a city built in the side of a cliff or on the roof of cavern isn't impossible in the Pokémon universe, especially since I'm pretty certain locations similar to these two already exist in some form of Pokémon media. Would they be exactly like the cities from BioShock, with the same architecture and same exact justification as cities in BioShock? Probably not considering Pokémon isn't BioShock/an Objectivist satire and its universe is completely different from it.

Just curious, but is this a worldbuilding exercise for a Pokémon/Bioshock crossover? Because to me it sort of feels like it.

It's partially that. I just really like the aesthetics and how they're portrayed visually. The Objectivist/Religious fanaticism of Rapture and Columbia don't come with these counterparts. Not sure about the Transhuman macguffin though, since it'd have the potential to wreck havoc on the world beyond these cities. Humans wielding Pokemon abilities? Those would pose a threat to the outside world and break it completely.

I think the underwater city would be named Deepcoral City and would be nicknamed "the city where fish swim"
While the floating city would be named Highcloud or Skysoar City and would be nicknamed "the city where birds soar"
The story is maybe having Pokémon around made it easy to live underwater and above clouds, so people that liked water types a lot built Deepcoral, and those who liked flying types a lot built Highcloud\Skysoar.

Deepcoral has a water type gym, Highcloud\Skysoar has a flying type gym. But unlike the other flying type gyms which are more bird based, I imagine the Highcloud\Skysoar gym leader would be more special attack and HP\healing based, with moves more based on actual air elemental than birds. They would use Pokémon such as Togekiss, Altaria, Driftblim, Noivern, maybe a new Flying Eeveelution. And they would have a lot of Hurricane, Gust, Air Slash, and Air Cutter moves.

If these were to be in a game. I think the perfect name for that would be "Sea and Sky". How does that sound?

are you still with me? Do you have a roblem with this being a crossover at all?

This is also partially because of interest over cities in impossible locations or built with impossible architecture. Getting tired of cities that are mostly on land or along the coastline and are at 21st Century/Futuristic levels of technology.

Pokemon could use more interesting places I guess. I loved the Distortion World from Platinum and I wish there would be more trippy locations like that in the new games.

With an underwater city, Marine Tube in Unova could have inspired its design. I would have loved watching deep sea Pokemon through the underwater tunnel glass and possibly take photos.

With an underwater city, Marine Tube in Unova could have inspired its design. I would have loved watching deep sea Pokemon through the underwater tunnel glass and possibly take photos.

and with an entire beautiful cityscape in the background. definitely going to be the marine tube but at the scale of an entire city. This kind of imagery being what I'm aiming for.

Marketwhale.png

Typing this to both bump this thread and also to add further motives for this idea.

I intend the imagery and mood of these two cities being based on what Rapure and Columbia once looked like before the Vox Populi Uprising and before the Rapture Civil War and subsequent societal collapse as a result of the insanity from ADAM addiction.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom