• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what influences your style?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
what artists/pieces of media have influenced your style the most?

personally, my style comes from a lot of different places, specifically my use of color. the color lineart comes from musical animatics i would watch, specifically ones of heathers by sangled on youtube, where each character would have a specific color associated with them. the different shading textures i have on a finished drawing were inspired by twigs-sprigs and zipsuns on tumblr. the static filter is inspired by ena. the general lineart I kinda made up on my own, but the eyes were inspired by omori and the blush were inspired by ash ketchum himself.

Kinda predictable but Pokémon is one of my biggest inspirations. Same goes for Level-5 games in general.
Old Cartoon Network shows like The Powerpuff Girls and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy also influence me a lot! I love the use of thick lineart and strong shapes.
Lauren Faust is also a huge inspiration, her style is so pretty and recognizable.

Honestly, I'm... not exactly sure? I've been told that my character design specifically definitely shows that I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, but I don't feel like Yu-Gi-Oh is really a significant influence on how I draw, just what I draw, if that kinda makes sense-- Pokemon's also kinda in that boat. That said, aside from my rendering, which I'm going to be honest, I have no idea where that originates (well, there are a couple tutorials that inspired some aspects, but overall), I feel like I kinda have a pretty generic anime style? So I guess maybe. Idk.

The Pokémon anime is where I first got my start when it came to drawing in general, which is pretty obvious the second you squint at it. :p

During high school when I was still developing a consistent style, I took a ton of inspiration from Puyo Puyo, Super Mario Strikers and Rhythm Thief — a lot of my art at the time had very bright colors, cartoony angular proportions, and sharp bolded outlines in a scratchy messy marker pen.
750px-PPFPoppingPuzzleFunWallpaper.jpg
800px-Luigi_-_Super_Mario_Strikers.png
M05_16.webp
I still love all of these and the influence from them is definitely still there, but nowadays I think my style has become a lot more uniform and "clean" (which I guess makes me a little bit sad since I did sacrifice some individuality doing so, but ah well, growth is necessary).

Just recently I've found myself inspired in various ways by the art of Tokyo Mew Mew (Mia Ikumi), Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Shaft), and KEI.
125794570_1466044183585308_4637986459610293932_n.jpg
3YcFftJs6RfMpIhEgvtLlYOwsDaNvLs9OvASWxai.jpg
5dd0458527267585d2af7c3fb31a0510.jpg

When it comes to shading, I think I'm most influenced by the techniques found in oil painting and I like trying to recreate that look digitally when I have the patience.
As for colors, I mostly just wing it and pick whatever honestly, but I have sound-to-color synesthesia so a lot of my color choices are heavily influenced by music. Every now and then I also look at the photos I've taken on my phone during walks to see if there are any interesting palettes in there.

The Pokémon anime is where I first got my start when it came to drawing in general, which is pretty obvious the second you squint at it. :p

During high school when I was still developing a consistent style, I took a ton of inspiration from Puyo Puyo, Super Mario Strikers and Rhythm Thief — a lot of my art at the time had very bright colors, cartoony angular proportions, and sharp bolded outlines in a scratchy messy marker pen.
750px-PPFPoppingPuzzleFunWallpaper.jpg
800px-Luigi_-_Super_Mario_Strikers.png
M05_16.webp
I still love all of these and the influence from them is definitely still there, but nowadays I think my style has become a lot more uniform and "clean" (which I guess makes me a little bit sad since I did sacrifice some individuality doing so, but ah well, growth is necessary).

Just recently I've found myself inspired in various ways by the art of Tokyo Mew Mew (Mia Ikumi), Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Shaft), and KEI.
125794570_1466044183585308_4637986459610293932_n.jpg
3YcFftJs6RfMpIhEgvtLlYOwsDaNvLs9OvASWxai.jpg
5dd0458527267585d2af7c3fb31a0510.jpg

When it comes to shading, I think I'm most influenced by the techniques found in oil painting and I like trying to recreate that look digitally when I have the patience.
As for colors, I mostly just wing it and pick whatever honestly, but I have sound-to-color synesthesia so a lot of my color choices are heavily influenced by music. Every now and then I also look at the photos I've taken on my phone during walks to see if there are any interesting palettes in there.
Puyo Puyo's artstyle is such a vibeee. I love it so much, I really want to try replicating it again (my last attempt was a few months ago hehe)

Looking at it very broadly, I'd say Pokémon had the biggest influence on my art style overall. My style used to be more cartoony, but a few years ago I spent quite a while trying to emulate the Pokémon art style, and that's the main reason why I've ended up with a more anime-looking style now. Recently I've also picked up a quirk in drawing eye shapes that I took from official Mega Man X artwork, although I've adapted it to fit my style.

I used to be influenced a lot by existing art styles, mostly from cartoons and comics that I don't remember anymore, but lately I've found it hard to take inspiration from other styles without just ending up badly copying them or unfavorably comparing my style to them and losing confidence. I find it easier to just experiment on my own and see what works, that's how I developed most of the elements of my current style.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom