• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is a Pokemon that you used to like a lot but that you no longer care about that much?

I used to be really big on Machamp since my real entry to Pokémon was the Mystery Dungeon side games where I picked Machop for my character. Over a thousand hours of playtime later and I was a fully evolved beast at level 100 with every stat maxed out. Naturally I would grow to like Machamp after all that. I actually disliked Conkeldurr a lot back then because it was Machamp's min-maxed Unova expy.

Nowadays my thoughts towards these two Pokémon have evened out significantly now that I've played more games and had more experiences with more Pokémon. Machamp does still have sentimental value for me, but it's not to the extent of thoughtlessly hating on a statistically superior imitation anymore.

Because I went for Bulbasaur in my actual first game, I've never been that interested in the Charmander line. My first thoughts on Lucario were actually of disappointment since the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games did a great job hyping one up as some type of legend when the species itself really isn't.

Another one that came to mind is Tauros. I loved Tauros in the early days (and this was LONG before I knew it was the king of Gen 1, or that competitive battling even EXISTED), but it was also the only Mon I was unable to acquire during Gen 1, thereby preventing me from completing the dex (go figure). However, over the years it kinda lost its appeal to me. I still like it, but it's more of a neutral liking over loving it like back in the early days. Plus, the fact that better Normal types came around and the Normal type itself took several nerfs over the years made it lose some of its pizzazz. I've come to like its Unovian "counterpart", Bouffalant move than Tauros, because it has more interesting lore, design, and battling flare. Tauros is still in my Top 50, as I can't help but still like it, but it's no longer in my Top 10, as it's just not as cool as I used to think it is.

For me it's Jynx. I really love that pokemon in early 2000's . Now I don't really like the design. I thing it's because of the change in the design. Since they change the color, it loose it appealing to me. When it was black, it looks creepy, that's what I like about it, now, the purple doesn't really fit.

For me it's Jynx. I really love that pokemon in early 2000's . Now I don't really like the design. I thing it's because of the change in the design. Since they change the color, it loose it appealing to me. When it was black, it looks creepy, that's what I like about it, now, the purple doesn't really fit.
I think the reason why Jynx's colors got changed is because of the racism controversy surrounding it.

I highly doubt that was the intent but you can't really deny she did look like a Gollywog at first

I know it was for racism controversy but in my opinion, all that controversy was for nothing. It's a shame, the pokemon was so cool and creepy.

I used to adore Sceptile(it was my first starter), but recently, I’ve realized that design-wise, it’s kind of lame. I think that I only feel kindly towards it is nostalgia, and I have several other that are challenging it for my favorite: Kommo-o, Toxapex, and Porygon-Z. This also applies to two of my other favorites: Gardevoir(why, Internet?) and Dusknoir(it just isn’t great).

Feraligatr was my all time favourite Starter during my youth but now it probably ranks as one of my least favourites.

If I had to think why, it'd be mainly because I grew to be turned off by its appearance. Todotile looks very cartoony which is fine for the base form, but it carries through up the line and nowadays I don't find Feraligatr to have balanced that well against how its meant to look more threatening. It just looks kinda derpy to me now in a similar vein to Dragonite.

Speaking of, while I was watching the Japanese trailer for Legends I noticed a comment point out that Meganium is playing a role in New Snap whilst Typhlosion is a Starter in Legends and so they lamented the fate of Feraligatr getting the short straw. :unsure:

If I had to think why, it'd be mainly because I grew to be turned off by its appearance. Todotile looks very cartoony which is fine for the base form, but it carries through up the line and nowadays I don't find Feraligatr to have balanced that well against how its meant to look more threatening. It just looks kinda derpy to me now in a similar vein to Dragonite.

I mean, Dragonite is a good derpy. Feraligatr looks like it’s about to fall over.

Gardevoir is the main one for me
back in XY and ORAS battle times, I used it a lot, when Mega Evolution was popular, used one as well, alongside Liepard

along the way really dislking any Pokemon that look too humanoid, so Gardevoir falls in it, and also mega evolution got boring, it was a fun gimmick to try
so likely might never like it again

Charizard

When I was little, I would dream of raising my own Charmander and having a Charizard I could fly around on (flying was a big thing for me back then, still is actually). It was one of my favorite Pokemon, and I thought I would love it forever. But, I got older (and back into Pokemon_ and was starting to favor the other two Kanto starters (I will admit this partially because everyone liked Charizard and I didn't want to be like everyone). This just so happened to be around the time when X and Y were released, where Charizard got two megas, and Venusaur and Blastoise got one. That is when my distaste for Charizard grew. It certainly did not help that it was becoming very big in the anime again, as well as the fact it got a Gmax when Venusaur and Squirtle initially did not). I didn't mind that the fans liked it anymore, I hated the fact that the developers were giving it so much, and neglecting the two other Kanto starters.

i actually have... unfortunately quite a few pokemon that i've lost interest in over time. :c

Skarmory - i still think skarm is badass and i love its design, but i rarely find any spot for it in my in-game teams unless it's one of the only steel types i can find, or if it can fill some niche purpose that no other pokemon can. my interest in skarm really just.. waned over the years to the point where it's like, i still like it, but not as much as i used to.

Vileplume - i used to love vileplume!! but similar to skarmory, the fact that i rarely found opportunities to use one (plus i've just.. fallen out of favor for it) means i haven't really cared much for it, anymore. ah well.

Poliwrath - used to love poliwrath, but better water types took its place and as a result it's largely been ignored, unfortunately.

Chikorita - look, i actually love how cute the whole chikorita line are. but going through johto playthroughs with a mostly defensively oriented pokemon is...sort of painful for me. i came upon the realisation recently that i'm probably better off with cyndaquil if i ever decide to replay any johto region (which would be the second time ever i've started with a fire type), which probably says a lot about how i've been burned out from using chikorita all the time.

these are the four that come to mind, but there are probably others.

Wow, @colours is ruthless about who makes the cut. :wynaut:

I actually got some great competitive mileage out of Vileplume in a draft league a few months back. With Strength Sap and Rocky Helmet it made a great answer to a scary Conkeldurr, and with Chlorophyll and Sleep Powder it was also my clutch solution to Mega Charizard-Y!

I think I may be starting to wane on Exeggutor. I still like the broad overall physique and it's still probably my favourite Psychic-type, but it's difficult to overcome those derpy looks and the fact that it's not quite the kind of tree Pokémon I have in my head. Tropical coconuts aren't quite my vibe - a regional oak form would be marvellous, though.

I think Pidgeot is the first to come to mind. It was one of my mains on my main team from SoulSilver and I loved it, but after playing enough mainline games it feels like every other common bird has a better move set, better typings, etc. I still love my main Pidgeot, I keep him on ORAS so I can Mega Evolve him. But I always pick Noctowl instead on my Johto runs and don't even really use it on my Kanto runs anymore.

Delphox is another one. I actually liked the design when it was first revealed, but as years went by I just liked it less and less. Heck the entire Fennekin line is just okay to me now even though I loved it when it was revealed. Now I always pick Chespin on my Kalos runs.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom