• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is a series you felt was bad when it first aired but now believe it was better than you thought?

danh19

Reaction score
When BW was airing I found it to be incredibly frustrating and poor, by far the worse series .

But looking back their was actually a lot of positives, their was some great ideas, but sadly poorly excuted, Iris as a character could have been one of the best main character's, so in my mind it may have failed in excution in most aspects but the ideas for the series was great, and actually their was some great moments.

Then their is sun and moon, on paper the story sounded poor, and it put me off watching for a long time, but having recently watched it, their are some good aspects, reasonbly exacuted, and the fact it is doing something different is to be admired on some level.

For the most part the main characters are enjoyable to watch, team rocket is less iritating for me, Lillie has had quite a good character arc, and their have been some good episodes.

Not a very original experience but I say SM. I still don't love it as much as I did many past series, but getting used to the art style after a while and witnessing some deep, dark episodes made me warm up with the series compared to the beginning. Things could improve better if SM series handled battles better and some SM fans on the Internet weren't so abusive toward criticism, but it is reasonably still good.

The most remarkable episodes, which I would probably consider my all time top 10 episodes of Pokémon, are When Regions Collide! and Inside Kapu-Rehire's Mist.

Last edited:
I'd also have to say that BW is better upon rewatching it. I still have a lot of problems with the series and it would still be my least favorite Pokemon series, but there were some positives to it and it was fun rewatching it. Part of the enjoyment might have been from rewatching a series that I hadn't seen for so long, but there were good episodes, good battles and good moments. I definitely think a lot of fans, including myself, were too hard on BW Ash in particular. Despite having a bad start to the series and some pretty bad moments in some Gym battles, he still showed to be a good trainer and he was still likable too. Even some moments with Iris would have worked if there was some better execution.

I think that being able to rewatch the series without having it surrounding with all of the backlash it had at the time helped too. It's still my least favorite series, but I can understand why others would like it a bit more now that I watched it again.

DP for me.

I hated it when it first on. I couldn't stand Dawn for some reason. I was also still a kid, so only watched the dub, and the new voices back then really threw me off and I hated them. I found most of the episodes really boring and at first really disliked the rivals on the show.

I rewatched it once I got a little older and was kind of confused as to why I hated it so much at first. Dawn's still not my favorite character of all time, but I can appreciate her development more now and I definitely don't view her as the worst thing ever like I did for whatever reason as a kid. The rivals are also pretty great. I've started to rewatch the whole series in order, and I'm actually pretty excited to get up to DP and rewatch it the whole way through with fresh eyes.

I couldn't stand Dawn for some reason.
I hated her at first because I was so mad she replaced May, so she was the worst thing ever to me for several weeks, but at least by the time she got Pachirisu I already liked her a lot.

My pick for this thread like several others, is BW. I actually didn't dislike it the first time, but there was just so much negativity surrounding it that it made it hard to fully enjoy it. And then, after not watching it for several years, I actually kind of forgot that I liked it, because of all the negativity surrounding it, I just kind of adopted that and didn't really remember liking it. I think re-watching it with expectations of not liking it, then I not only liked it, but liked it quite a bit because it far exceeded my expectations. I do personally like Iris a lot though, which I understand is a very uncommon opinion. I think the biggest thing that helped though on re-watching is that I was fully prepared for the several really dumb things in the series, so I wasn't as put off by them and was just able to enjoy the series for what it was, which was still a Pokemon adventure that was a lot of fun.

Me as a kid lost interest in the anime during early DP because it felt like it had SO. MUCH. FILLER.

At first I wasn't into DP because I didn't like some of the changes they made to the visuals and I was still disappointed over the voice actor change. I gave it another chance a few years later and loved it.

As a teenager I didn't liked DP much either. The fillers were way too inferior to the AG ones, the serious tone was a bit off putting and Team Rocket appeared too much. Besides, some of the decisions in the second half were plain dumb. While I still have some of that complaints, I have appreciated the character dynamics and specially the battles nowadays. They have more emotional weight due to the strategies and the training done during previous episodes. Also, Pokemon use their unique body parts more often, it's not entirely attack-based. It deserves its praise.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom