• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is Eevee?

What kind of animal is Eevee?

• Cat

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Dog

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fox

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
A cat? A dog? A fox? Something else entirely?

Bulbapedia states:
Eevee shares traits with various mammals, specifically the fennec fox, dogs, and cats. It could also be based on the Gulon, a mythical, dog-sized Scandinavian creature with a coat of brown fur; a catlike head, ears, and claws; and a fox-like tail.

Personally, I have always leaned toward fox. Other opinions? If you choose 'Other,' please state in a post what that 'Other' would be. Thanks.

I always thought it was a fluffy kind of fox but its evolution is more like a combination of both feline and canine traits.

It's a fox. Or at least I've always thought it was a fox. The more catlike ones could just be that they're sleeker with shorter muzzles like some actual foxes do.

Considering Vulpix and Ninetales are nine tail foxes, maybe eevee is also a kitsune and it's transformation abilities are related to it evolving in so many different ways.

Back in gen 3 I thought that every eeveelution looked like something unique, and so Eevee was just some little amalgam of different mammals. It made sense up until leafeon and glaceon we're revealed, tho looking back they really do all share aspects with multiple mammals. I thought:

Jolteon - dog
Flareon - rabbit
Espeon - cat
Umbreon - fox
Vaporeon - ok this one was a little weird, young me didn't know how to fit a fish into this.

But yeah I think Eevee and it's evolutions aren't supposed to rraemble any one animal. And really, that's a good thing. It appeals to more people that way. Oh, you like foxes? Well Eevee has fox features. Oh, you like cats? It looks feline enough as well. Like bunnies? Dem ears.

I more-or-less feel the same way about its evolutions as well, now. Especially the newer ones.

Also, completely irrelevant, but first post since the new layout. Woot woot.

Eevee is a friend

I think it's meant to be a highly stylized fox, personally, in the same way most Gen I Pokemon based on animals were highly stylized approximations (Kangaskhan, Lapras, Pinsir, etc.)

I'll do you one better: Why is Eevee?

Well, Drax, that is very simple. GameFreak was having trouble designing Basic Pokémon for Jolteon and Vaporeon, so they said "screw it, they all evolve from Eevee."

I don't know if that is actually true, but it sounds good to me.

I think Eevee supposed to be something like a common ancestor, as at one point in history about 51 million years ago Canines, Felines, and Ursines all shared a common ancestor from which cats offshot first and then bears and dogs split later from each other.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom