• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is happening?!??! Random Person Trading me Shinies!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc190191

more afraid of you
Reaction score
Has anyone every had something like this happen? Someone started trading me shinies in festival plaza, over and over again. They asked me to trade and everything I assume they must be hacked or something, but they literally kept asking for the least rare Pokemon I had (I was trying to make legitimate offers and they kept asking everytime I came across something not rare). The person put up a message "I am looking for a certain Pokemon" to start, which is not a message I have seen before, so I am not sure how you can say something like that. Here is the list of Pokemon I got w/ held item (seem like ideal natures for the most part, the one thing that makes me feel less bad is that they aren't all perfect IVs, although mostly good and the few lv 100s were hyper trained):

Rowlet - Gold bottle cap and HA
Litten - Gold bottle cap and HA and fake out
Popplio - Gold bottle cap and HA and female
Rockroff - Gold bottle cap, HA, multiple egg moves
Salandit - Gold bottle cap
Blacephalon - Gold bottle cap
Volbeat - LV 100, HA
Illumise - Gold bottle cap, Lv 100, HA
Linoone - Lv 100, HA, extreme speed
Nihelego - Gold bottle cap
Araquanid - Lv 100
Suicune - Not shiny, HA, Gameboy logo (must have come from Crystal VC)

Most are already EV trained as well.

I think it was going to keep happening, but after saying Thank you a lot of times, I said I had no more Pokemon I wanted to trade, because I was feeling strange about it.

Anyway, I'm worried i'm going to get in trouble or something. Should I use the items, should I use the Pokemon? I have been traded clearly hacked Pokemon before and there were very obvious signs they were hacked. On these, all the information about them seems legitimate. A lot are hatched from eggs, and I know with masuda method and shiny charm, shinies are a lot easier (but not this kind of easy). I guess I assume they are cloned and he was just showing off what he collected or something?

Is there any possible motif here anyone could think of/is there any risk to me using the Pokemon and items? I have them in their own special box for now because I don't want to risk getting a virus or getting in trouble. (I have never heard of a traded Pokemon containing a virus - other than Pokerus of course - is this even possible?).

I am personally not in support of hacking, but I am curious what people would do in this situation. Thank you

Can you check their IVs? If the IVs are all perfect across the board it seems more likely that they've been hacked to look legal. Since a 6 IV shiny is much more difficult to come across legally.

Though there's also TSV/ESVs. Which allows you to breed shiny Pokémon by trading an egg over to someone who's TSV matches the egg's ESV. You'd be able to tell this if the OTs of all the Pokémon are different.

But no these Pokémon won't give you a virus. A possibly hacked Pokémon will not damage your game at all really. But I don't recommend using them in competitions, or trading them to others without their knowledge really.

Hope this helps. ^^

And on a side note, the GTS is actually for arranging trades with others on the forum. Not that I mind addressing your concerns. :p

Can you check their IVs? If the IVs are all perfect across the board it seems more likely that they've been hacked to look legal. Since a 6 IV shiny is much more difficult to come across legally.

Though there's also TSV/ESVs. Which allows you to breed shiny Pokémon by trading an egg over to someone who's TSV matches the egg's ESV. You'd be able to tell this if the OTs of all the Pokémon are different.

But no these Pokémon won't give you a virus. A possibly hacked Pokémon will not damage your game at all really. But I don't recommend using them in competitions, or trading them to others without their knowledge really.

Hope this helps. ^^

And on a side note, the GTS is actually for arranging trades with others on the forum. Not that I mind addressing your concerns. :p
Sorry I didn't know where to put this thread. I started typing it while the trade was happening because I was so shocked. The IVs are not perfect, some are fairly good, but that's what I was saying about it seeming legit, they seem like very attainable IVs. For the UBs, 3 perfect ones like they are supposed to, for the lv 100s they are all hyper trained, so the IVs were not originally perfect, and the eggs honestly had lower IVs than I would breed (and I wouldn't call myself a good breeder by any stretch), but of course everything that wasn't hyper trained had a gold bottle cap with it. The OT was all the same trainer, matching the name of the trainer who traded with me, even the Suicune had the same OT name, just in all caps. Some are fully EV trained, some aren't. The dates are all fairly recent, except the Araquanid, which has a date from back in December, an Alola champion ribbon, and a random EV spread that makes it seem like it was used in an original play through (still a fairly ideal nature though). It and the salandit were caught (in places they can be caught), the other non-legendaries were hatched.

So if they were copied, would that be illegal? I know people talk about copying, I don't know how to do it (don't want to know really), but one thing I remember was after he traded me the Rowlet he would sometimes show another shiny Rowlet when moving to the next Pokemon, which is what made me thing he may have just copied legit shinies to give away. Still not sure why he would pick me or anything, I was just in festival plaza waiting to meet a friend to get a rare kitchen 5.

Thanks for all your help. You can move this thread if it should go somewhere else.

Sorry I didn't know where to put this thread. I started typing it while the trade was happening because I was so shocked. The IVs are not perfect, some are fairly good, but that's what I was saying about it seeming legit, they seem like very attainable IVs. For the UBs, 3 perfect ones like they are supposed to, for the lv 100s they are all hyper trained, so the IVs were not originally perfect, and the eggs honestly had lower IVs than I would breed (and I wouldn't call myself a good breeder by any stretch), but of course everything that wasn't hyper trained had a gold bottle cap with it. The OT was all the same trainer, matching the name of the trainer who traded with me, even the Suicune had the same OT name, just in all caps. Some are fully EV trained, some aren't. The dates are all fairly recent, except the Araquanid, which has a date from back in December, an Alola champion ribbon, and a random EV spread that makes it seem like it was used in an original play through (still a fairly ideal nature though). It and the salandit were caught (in places they can be caught), the other non-legendaries were hatched.

So if they were copied, would that be illegal? I know people talk about copying, I don't know how to do it (don't want to know really), but one thing I remember was after he traded me the Rowlet he would sometimes show another shiny Rowlet when moving to the next Pokemon, which is what made me thing he may have just copied legit shinies to give away. Still not sure why he would pick me or anything, I was just in festival plaza waiting to meet a friend to get a rare kitchen 5.

Thanks for all your help. You can move this thread if it should go somewhere else.

Nah. I'm not gonna move the thread if I can help. :p

But to me it's sounding more and more like they're clones of legitimate shinies this person obtained. So the question is if you view clones as bad yourself honestly.

Clones are really just duplicates of legitimate Pokémon. But they're not allowed in official tournaments. Or anything official really. But in your own games? They're absolutely harmless. So really it's your choice if you want to keep clones.

Nah. I'm not gonna move the thread if I can help. :p

But to me it's sounding more and more like they're clones of legitimate shinies this person obtained. So the question is if you view clones as bad yourself honestly.

Clones are really just duplicates of legitimate Pokémon. But they're not allowed in official tournaments. Or anything official really. But in your own games? They're absolutely harmless. So really it's your choice if you want to keep clones.

Ok thanks for all the help. I guess I will keep them around for now, although since none of them are the shinies I'm most interested in, maybe I'll try to trade them at some point (of course telling people where they came from). If anyone who read this thread is interested in any of them, let me know.

The one thing I keep wondering about though is the link trade message "I am looking for a certain Pokemon". I tried to research this and I couldn't find anything. Are there some phrases unique to Sun/USun? Do you get more phrases the more trades you make? I know for sure I am not able to say that (I just double checked to make sure, and for some reason it took me forever to get a link trade today). Everything else he said was a message I am able to say also (I think just Thank You and Bye Bye). It just makes me wonder if that means he was either hacking his entire game, or if somehow he was (I know this sounds really silly) some promotions person that has a special game to giveaway Pokemon (I don't think they do stuff like that, but this whole encounter was really strange - I mean the whole trade it was like he was waiting for me to come across the Pokemon I would miss the least before he wanted to trade).

the suicune and araquinid seem pretty legit but i would only use them in battles online and with friends but still it is possible they all coud be hacked

also in interested in that rockruff because i want to get a shiny dusk lycanrock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom