• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is the most hated thing in Pokémon that you love? Why?

The ORAS version of Tabitha. He is my favorite Pokémon character of all time. I love his design and personality, but some Pokémon fans dislike him for the worst reasons.

Regarding other things that I like, but aren't liked by a majority of Pokémon fans, I'm one of those people who actually prefers 3D models to sprites. I think that sprites in Pokémon were a hit or miss thing. Crystal and Gen 4 games have very good looking sprites, but I'm not a fan of sprites in Generations 1, 3 and 5. Sprites in Gen 5 only look good if they aren't animated all the time.

I think that bipedal starters are cool in general.

I honestly kind of like XP share. Grinding was always one of the most boring parts of the games and XP share makes it easier. I do wish you had the option to turn it off, though.

I loved Sword/Shields locations such as Circhester, Stow on Tow, Crown Tundra, Ballonlea, Motostoke among others… This game was so visually beautiful. I get that it’s no open world or that caves were linear, but I didn’t care because it was visually appealing to travel through cities I can actually appreciate.

I honestly kind of like XP share. Grinding was always one of the most boring parts of the games and XP share makes it easier. I do wish you had the option to turn it off, though.

And that's perfectly understandable. I think most people's issue with it is that it is no longer able to be turned off. I can not grasp why they took away the option to turn it off, taking away options is just plain bad game design. =/

Before they forced it on us in Gen VIII, I sometimes would turn it on and other times turn it off. I suppose Sun/Moon I did get frustrated and just keep it on. But that wasn't that I didn't want the grind, it was because Sun/Moon had the feature where wild Pokemon call a friend, which is neat on paper, but it ended up double teaming the Pokemon I was training (and then once you defeated one, the other would call another and it just kept on going on forever) and making it a lot more frustrating.

I would have played like I did before S/M with Sw/Sh and S/V if I had been given the option. I had the issue in Sword where I got massively overleveled just by taking my time to enjoy and explore the Wild Area and that was not good.

I’ve seen a fair amount of slander about PLA’s battle system. I personally loved it. Yhe set battle style makes battles more dynamic as it forces you to use more pokemon. It’s not like you can just keep sweeping and steamrolling with one pokemon. You also have to consider the order carefully. So it keeps you on your toes. Which I think is especially important since PLA doesn’t have online battles either, so you’ll be doing these a lot

Honestly, a lot of early Pokémon designs. In recent years I've started noticing a lot of distaste specifically for how simple some of them are — ones like Seel, Muk, or Voltorb for instance are some that I see criticized the most — and as an artist/designer myself, that makes me so sad! The intricacy of modern Pokémon designs can be great, but simplicity is a good thing in character design, and in my opinion they're a great example of it done right.

Also, I really love Hey You Pikachu!, Pokémon Channel, and Pokémon Dash, but I almost never hear anybody else say the same lol. I thought they were cute, fun games and I never quite got why they were so disliked.

Honestly, a lot of early Pokémon designs. In recent years I've started noticing a lot of distaste specifically for how simple some of them are — ones like Seel, Muk, or Voltorb for instance are some that I see criticized the most — and as an artist/designer myself, that makes me so sad! The intricacy of modern Pokémon designs can be great, but simplicity is a good thing in character design, and in my opinion they're a great example of it done right.
I unironically prefer a lot of the designs from the earlier generations compared to the newer ones. I actually don't care for some of the modern designs.

Some other stuff:
I liked linear progression. It actually felt safe and comforting. There is actually a bit of mismatch in goals between people with lots of energy (young people) who like to explore, shiny hunt and grind and who like novelty and older, busier fans who can't dedicate too much time to grinding or exploring. I actually do like to be challenged in other games but in Pokemon I prefer relaxation. It really did fill that niche for me. The only 'challenge' should be in battles themselves imo, not in breeding just right or perfectly knowing how to use gimmicks or hoarding right items or exploring perfectly

I feel like this is a question with... more than a lot of layers, since a lot of my taste ends up giving many people the impression that I'm some sort of "contrarian" individual in general. Sometimes my taste is somewhat predictable, but oftentimes I've gotten more than a plenty odd looks; which is probably something inevitable in a franchise like Pokemon where some Pokemon are all-time adored and others are in varying degrees of obscurity. And I'd say a lot of my taste kinda teeters closer to the latter.

Zubat and Golbat: I've always found those two bats cute and huggable. I've seen all the memes about their encounter rate, and frankly; I never quite cared. Zubat's one of the very few eyeless Pokemon ever and while Golbat loses that trait; I find it endearing in its own right. I particularly like Golbat's clumsy depiction in pre-Gen 6 3D games like Stadium and the Orre games, where it was a big, freakish bat that had to wrap its big wings around its horrid gaping mouth to conceal its disgusting big tongue. (Tangential, but I also feel nostalgia for Crobat's "ugly" pre-Gen 6 model, too. It's teeth being interpreted as a nasty underbite and it's ghastly facial expression is something that I don't think will ever be recreated.)

Object-based Pokemon: They've been around since Gen 1, and I've never had any issue with them. I really don't give a rat's ass if a Pokemon whole-sale resembles an object; I don't think every Pokemon should be either a humanoid or an animal. I have a lot of favorite Pokemon and/or Pokemon I'm fond off that are "objects": Revavroom, Minior, Electrode, Polteageist, Vanilluxe, Garbodor, Alolan-Muk, Minior, Dhelmise, etc.

Dudunsparce: This one is pretty divisive as far as I've seen. And frankly, I feel like a lot of the things that motivate people to dislike this thing kinda miss the point about it and are pretty much falling hook, line and sinker into Game Freak's most brilliant official shitpost, ever. It's not just everyone who wanted it to become a majestic dragon, but really everyone who tries to make it anything other than what it is: I'm including everyone who goes the other route I see and gives Dunsparce a Bug-type affiliation and turns it into some kind of wasp or just an insect in general, as an example. Dunsparce is a very rare and unusual, "interesting" creature, yes. But it's only so rare because it's just a goofy, shy little critter that'd rather be by itself than it being special by virtue of being 'mythical' or something. This is true for its inspiration: the tsuchinoko is a youkai, but is very much not a 'serious' youkai by any means, more a goofy one. It's an elusive, short and fat snake that chirps instead of hisses, defy physics to leap at impossible odds to avoid getting caught, is able to jump twice by bending itself like a spring, too; and it has a taste for alcohol. That's not a majestic or spooky mythical being of Japanese folkore; that's just a derpy, cartoony shut-in who just wants to live life without being harassed... of Japanese folklore. Just look at the little intricacies that Dunsparce itself has: it has wings that aren't too aerodynamic but nonetheless get the job done enough to flee, and it has a big drill tail that allows it to immediately hide in a burrow when given the chance. It's literally adapted to just get the hell away from scary things that want to catch it.
A lot of reactions I see have streamers and other people going "Look how they ruined my boy!" or "That's not an evolution, that's a you again!" But let's be real, does Dunsparce have any ambitions at all? You can see a sort of "I want to be badass/special" kind of motif for things like Magikarp, Feebas, and fellow 'former unevolved misfit' Farfetch'd. But try taking a gaze at Dunsparce's perpetually droopy face and say it secretly desires to be a 'badass'. If anything, Dudunsparce, as the goofy segmented bugger it is, is probably just enough for this modest snakey. It gets a more jam-packed drill to create more spacious and comfy homes for it, and if other Pokemon fall in, it could just use its segmented self as a train to happily ferry those poor Pokemon back. Oh, and it can inflate itself with its segments to blow away actual intruders. That too. (and the animation for it is funny.)
I think the funniest part about Dudunsparce is its index number (not it's Pokedex number): it's actually the first Pokemon that deviates from it's official listing... and it's sandwiched between the Lechonk lines and Tarountula lines, when by comparison most other new evolutions like Kingambit and Annihilape stand at the very end of the index number listings. This implies to me that Dudunsparce was probably planned even before the idea of other Pokemon getting new cross-gen evolutions came up to Game Freak. Which is an idea that really makes me snicker, kekeke.

Last edited:
Ultra Megaopolis. People hate it because they expected a lot more development from it. Specifically, they wanted to be able to talk with people living in this city to either explain Necrozma lore or give details about how life is in a world of darkness. Perhaps even obtain certain items from this universe or whatnot?

Tbh we already see much of this through the Ultra Recon Squad and what they tell us. They fill us in in all the necessary Necrozma lore and serve as proper reflections for how living in a world of darkness was. They wanted to not have others live the same way they did and were amazed by all the light they've seen in Alola. I genuinely think Gamefreak made Ultra Megaopolis the way it was in belief that adding anything more would've been redundant.

Gamefreak also gave us a bunch of other interesting worlds to look at and encounter Pokémon in to make up for this, and USUM are already quite stacked for a game on the 3DS console, so I can't be too upset.

I just love Ultra Megaopolis because it serves as the stage for one of the most epic boss fights in Pokémon and you directly go to Necrozma's home, where it's been sitting for the longest time. To me that's sacred enough ground to make the location great. It also has really good music.

Dudunsparce is the latest thing, it is not universally hated though, just divisive. I am of the opinion that it was the best kind of evolution Dunsparce could have received. Super goofy and similar to the previous form but with actually serviceable stats.

I also liked how Palafin Zero form is so similar to Finizen too, then it just becomes Hero and WOW.

I just really like trubbish, nosepass and Lickitung. I wouldn't really initiate any physical contact that i cant just wash my hands later, but I personally think their features could be quite useful. I sure do hope Lickitung is clean though!!

Objectmon - I sometimes hear people criticize objectmon for lacking creativity "it's just a rock/ice cream cone/trash bag/bunch of keys etc." but I think it actually takes a lot more creativity to turn an inanimate object into a believable creature. There's a unique vibe to them that I don't get from more animal-like Pokémon.
Eiscue - It's just a cute, silly penguin. Sometimes simple designs are nice too.
Incineroar - I don't love Incineroar, but I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't openly despise it. I can see why people would be miffed about it, being a suddenly-bipedal starter and all, but I personally don't hate it. I think it works pretty well with its theme.
Hau - Most people I know seem to find him annoying, but I honestly found his personality endearing.

Also, I actually like how pseudo-legendaries are usually Dragon-types. It gives them a feeling of consistency. It'd be cool if they did more Hoenn situations where they had one pseudo that was Dragon and one that wasn't, but I don't want them to get rid of Dragon-type pseudos altogether. (That being said, the Baxcalibur line was a disappointment.)

The 3DS Pokemon models in general. I like seeing each of the Pokemon made into how they'd feasibly look in the overworld of any game without them trying to be hyper-realistic, unlike SV. I find the designs of many of these models cool to look at on their own as well, since they come with more visual details than anything that's possible in 2D.

I also find them a lot more expressive and characteristic than many people give them credit for since nobody talks about how each Pokémon have several distinct animations for their attacks and several more for interactions with the Pokémon via Poké Amie / Refresh. For example, when Magmortar uses Fire Blast, it draws out its hand cannon and fires from it. When Delphox uses Fire Blast, it draws out its wand and performs an attack from it. When Genesect uses Techno Blast it bends down and shoots from its cannon. Rayquaza flies about and uses its claws to initiate Dragon Claw, or opens its mouth to fire a Dragon Pulse from it. Of course there are exceptions to this (Mega Blastoise), but most of them are done well imo. I actually don't like how Gen 5 sprites are animated because many of them just make random movements for the sake of making movements, as opposed to moving in a way characteristic to them, and oftentimes their movements don't even make sense. Gen 4 2D sprites have better animations, but Gen 5 has one animation constantly looping over and over again. 3DS model animations have more soul than the Gen 5 ones honestly, because when they attack they move in a way that fits them instead of randomly moving about non-stop like they consumed 5 energy drinks. Aside from that, people almost solely judge the 3DS models on their idle animations, which are all animated in a way that makes more sense for battling, as they all appear battle-focused and ready to attack. They're somewhat similar to the Gen 5 animations except less bouncy and they can do more than just be in the same looping animation 24/7. The idle animations also really work for menu screens, overworld interactions, dex searching, etc. It appears even Pokemon itself loves them with how often they're spread out. They exist in the 3DS games, Pokemon GO, Pokemon Masters, and even Pokemon HOME with all their Gen 9 Pokemon made into 3DS models as opposed to SV models. Lastly I find them very convenient for Showdown and don't see how the entirety of Pokemon GO, or your interactions with your Pokemon via Poke Amie/Pokemon Refresh/Pokemon Camp would be as good without those 3DS models being animated the way they are.

Edit: My problem with SV's models being "hyper-realistic" is really just the way they were executed. A lot of Gen 9 models look more like plastic toys or stuffed animals than they look like actual creatures from a video game, and some Pokemon (Groudon is my favorite example of this) have it incredibly rough.

Last edited:
  • i love kalos. it's so beautiful, and while there may not have been a lot of new mon it introduced, i think the ones they did are really lovely.
  • hop is cool. yeah, he can be a bit /much/, but i like him a lot.
  • garbodor is extremely cute. i totally get why people dislike it but i sure don't.
  • i think enamorus has a cool design that fits with the rest of the... land spirit mon. the -ruses. anyway. i feel like a lot of people were just angry she isn't attractive... which they expected her to be because she's female and a fairy type? and the pokemon of love, i guess, but so is luvdisc sorta and you'd be hardpressed to find anyone who thinks THAT one is attractive or meant to be.
  • i think quaquaval is cute :3
  • actually im just gonna put down swoshi as a whole

Back
Top Bottom