• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is the Worst HM Move?

What do you think is the worst HM move?

• Cut

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Fly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surf

• Strength

• Flash

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • Whirlpool

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Waterfall

• Rock Smash

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Dive

• Defog

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Rock Climb

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Pokeplayer150

Reaction score
Something that I've noticed the fan base seems to be united on is hate for most HMs. This piqued my curiosity in which I wanted to ask: What do you think is the absolute worst HM move, the ones you would always give to slaves? Please leave your responses or vote above, see ya!

I've always hated Rock Smash. When I first played Pearl, I stupidly taught it to my Monferno. Rock Smash is such a weak fighting type move and I was glad Gen 5 made it into a TM. Unfortunately, it was brought back in ORAS as a HM and I was not happy.

Cut is another one that I hate. Terribly weak normal type move.

It was very close between cut and rock smash, but I think cut is the worst. Cut has 50 power and only 95% accuracy, making it worse than tackle ever since generation 5. Rock smash has less power than cut, but at least you can use it to lower the opponent's defense or find items in rocks.

Whirlpool and defog are also pretty bad, but each one was only an HM in one region so I don't mind them that much.

Cut is really bad.

And it's really weird that only cut that be able to 'cut' the tree.

Slash? X Scissors? Peeleaseee..

They're all pretty bad outside of Fly, Surf and Waterfall imo. Strength/Rock Climb suck when I'd rather have Return. Flash, Cut, Whirlpool and Rock Smash are cruel jokes and forced you to make your team use subpar moves until the move deleter. Defog was bad at the time, but I think competitive battlers would like it to return now it was improved.

As for the worst of the worst, I'd say Cut. Flash was at least somewhat usable in that it provided something different with its effect which could be helpful I guess, whereas Cut is just a painfully weak Normal move. Rock Smash can provide Fighting coverage on something that might like it (Mightyena back in Gen III is something that comes to mind) while Whirlpool is at least an interesting trapping move that can form some sort of strategy. Cut is just lame and a waste in its entirety.

This is bit of a tough one. Cut, Flash, and Rock Smash were all major pains in the tailpipe. While (thankfully) Flash and Rock Smash became TMs (until ORAS in the latter case, that is), at least they had something going for them. They can at least do something decent, such as stat lowering and treasure finding. Defog was also an annoying one, but at least it was for only one Gen and it's gotten bit of a boost thanks to entry hazards, but it's still a wasted slot. However, I voted for Cut because, simply put, it does absolutely nothing. Sure, for a while, it was a decent replacement for Tackle, but thanks to Gen V, Tackle is more useful (both power AND accuracy boosted). Cut has no use outside of those stupid trees, and that's not saying much. As XY and ORAS proved, it's not even necessary for the plot or needed to complete the game, just needed for side-quest stuff at most. So why it even HAS an HM status baffles me.

So my vote goes to Cut, as at least the other HM moves had some form of usefulness (whether we'd like it or not).

Before Gen V I would have said Flash, as Cut was a bit better than Tackle and could provide a better (yet still bad) Normal-type attack. But now that Cut is worse than Tackle by 5% accuracy I can easily say Cut sucks and there's no reason why a Flamethrower shouldn't take down those darn sticks.

I'm gonna say Cut is the worse. With Surf and Fly you can at least get a good move and some convenience (or in Surf's case, a necessity) Waterfall, and Dive have their uses. Rock Smash can help you find Items and Nosepasses/Geodudes for your pokedex and Defog now has a competitive use. Flash and Dig are also conveniences (and could be easily forgotten on most games). but Cut? I can say without a doubt that is would be the closest of objectively the worse HM in existence.

As I said in my previous thread, Flash were pain in the ass. It totally worthless for me because I'm more like a fighter rather than stat changer. And also, Rock Smash are also the most unnecessary move I ever used (Thank God it were became TM, but of course ORAS came in and breaks the record).

I'd have to pick HM06 Rock Smash.The other HM's (excluding HM02 Fly and HM03 Surf) have somewhat decent capability of being a choice for an attack. HM06 is just a waste of a slot, IMO.

Cut.
Why? It is in every game! It is a completely useless move and you seem to always need a Cut user on your team.

Defog, Whirlpool and Flash are tolerable because they're not in every game. As of Gen VI Rock Smash is no longer a HM so it is not as bad.

As ^ said, cut is quite terrible. As an attack it is completely worthless and it is used often ingame as well so it's incredibly irritating.

Cut. I absolutely hate that move, it's so worthless as the others have already pointed out.

Cut - definitely one of the finalists. Low-power normal move.
Fly - pretty good move actually. I mean Brave Bird is better but not every flier gets that.
Surf - best water move in the entire game. Best HM as well.
Strength - not bad either. Pre-Return, one of the better normal type moves available.
Flash - one of the finalists as well.
Whirlpool - I forgot this was even an HM, been so long since I played HGSS. Not as bad as Cut and Flash since it's got a typing.
Waterfall - Best physical water move in the game that can be learned by a decent number of mons.
Rock Smash - At least it's fighting over normal. This alone makes it slightly better than cut.
Dive - Not nearly as good as Surf and Waterfall, can be useful as a dig type move however.
Defog - One of the finalists.
Rock Climb - Better than cut, not by much.

My finalists are Cut, Flash and Defog. I removed Flash from the list because you don't ever NEED to use it (you can feel your way through any Flash related challenge if you're patient), leaving Cut and Defog. I ended up choosing Defog because you often get Cut so early in the game that you can use it as a minor move upgrade on a weak mon.

I think HMs are just unnecessary, now TMs are reusable, because if you get stuck somewhere, you can always just teach the move again. The one exception obviously is Surf, which could get quite awkward if you forgot it while on the water, but otherwise, there's no excuse anymore. Or, a system I think would be even better, pokemon should be able to learn 'HM skills' separately from their moves, allowing them to serve utilitarian functions as well as being able to fight with proper moves. For example, you could teach something That way, you'd also remove the horrible concept of wasting team spaces on 'HM slaves'.

Defog. It was such a useless move and it literally does nothing in battle.

Cut is really bad too.

I am going by competitive standards here. I just chose Flash at random, but really, almost all of them are useless with the exceptions of Fly, Surf, Waterfall, and Whirlpool. Whirlpool can be very useful when used by the right Pokemon. The rest are really terrible and I wish they would allow HM moves to be forgotten without a move deleter.

In-game, yeah, a lot of them can be useful, with the exception of Flash, Cut, Rock Climb, and Defog. Those suck no matter what.

Cut. It's weaker than Tackle, and trees usually fade out by mid-game, although with a few exceptions, granted.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom