• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is the Worst HM Move?

What do you think is the worst HM move?

• Cut

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Fly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surf

• Strength

• Flash

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • Whirlpool

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Waterfall

• Rock Smash

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Dive

• Defog

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Rock Climb

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
Flash, the inaccurate accuracy-lowering move (in Gen III anyway). Thankfully it was never necessary to beat the game.

Flash, the inaccurate accuracy-lowering move (in Gen III anyway). Thankfully it was never necessary to beat the game.

It's so useless that (in gen 1 at least) you don't even need it, just follow the wall long enough and you'll find your way out without having used flash.

Should really be in the video games bit not the general bit. There's already a thread where lots of people gave opinions to read here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/hm-moves-you-hate-most-167831/index3.html
(sorry i don't know how to hyperlink)
I wanted to know what people thought about them objectively, rather than what annoyed them the most. Also, I put it in general for a couple of reasons:

1. I didn't want people to pass it off as a copy of the post you mentioned.

2. General discussion includes talking about Pokemon in terms of the games. So talking about moves seemed to be appropriate here. The Video Games thread, based on what I've seen, applies to both that and stuff specific to certain games. So, yes, I could also have put it in Video Games if not for the aforementioned reason.

I can't understand why HMs should be weaker than TMs. Why does not Rock Smash decrease defence 100% of the time, when there are similar TMs with the same Power that decrease a stat 100% of the time? I think there's one weakening Sp. Attack. Is this because Sp. Attack is maybe only used 50% of the time, while Defence is used more often? I wish HMs could be a bit stronger, or that you did not have to use them. Cut is totally useless. Why aren't the HMs replaced by key items?

Waterfall and Surf are OK. Sometimes Dive and Fly are all right too, though there are better alternatives.

Rock Smash is my least favorite HM simply because of how weak it is. I mean, seriously, you're CRUSHING A ROCK. How does that only warrant a base power of 40?! I wouldn't mind it so much, but in ORAS, until you get the Surf HM, it's the only way to get to the upper half of the region. They could have at LEAST made it worth having on your team by increasing the power, or else making it so that the rocks that you're REQUIRED to break in order to progress the story STAYED SMASHED like the ones in Rusturf Tunnel. Or, they could have just left it as a TM and had a Move Tutor for Secret Power show up in Slateport after you talk to the guy who tells you about Secret Bases, like they did with Headbutt in HGSS.

Rock Smash is my least favorite HM simply because of how weak it is. I mean, seriously, you're CRUSHING A ROCK. How does that only warrant a base power of 40?! I wouldn't mind it so much, but in ORAS, until you get the Surf HM, it's the only way to get to the upper half of the region.

Do you ever remember RSE? Rock smash had base power 20 ffs. It was abominable.

Defog you use it so little and at least Flash was used a load. Though I suppose it's annoying when the fog makes you miss everything

Cut isn't so usless since it can do damage. It's the worst hurting one though

Actually I just remembered Whirpool. That. It sucks as a move and is a stupid obstacle and we already have Surf, Waterfall and Dive (albeit Dive wasn't a thing in gen 2 - though I played 3 first so came across it first)

Cut. One of the worst moves period. At least most other HM moves have gotten upgrades in later games. Cut remains as bad as it did on day 1. After getting fly and getting all tree hidden goodies there's no reason to keep it around anymore.

Yeah, it's Cut. It could have been Steel/Grass with unconditional perfect accuracy, or 70 Power with 95% Acc! At least get rid of the Normal typing and allow us to use it for super-effective damage.

Cut is really bad.

And it's really weird that only cut that be able to 'cut' the tree.

Slash? X Scissors? Peeleaseee..

Agreed. At least it would force you to have a pokemon with a half way decent attack on your team. I guess having to get the HMs are a part of the challenge?

In the games where Flash was a HM, its use in battle was not ideal, since it has a 70% accuracy. I guess it's good that it makes the field more visible, but it doesn't have much use once you achieved what you want. It's interesting that when it becomes a TM later on, it becomes a 100% accurate move and still light up areas, so ironically it is most useful when it's not an HM.

Thanks for reading.

I never really hated cut as much as some people, because it at least does damage. My least favorite was always Defog, because it's borderline useless, but you get stuck with it.

You can use cut early in the game as an attack, so I don't think it is useless. I would say defog. I mean I can't think of any redeemable features

Flash! It's been around since Gen1 and in each game you only use it in 1 or 2 locations per game.

Cut.

Rock Smash, Flash, and Whirlpool all suck, but at least Nintendo (or somebody) realized that enough to get rid of them as HMs.
Waterfall used to be an inferior Surf, but with the physical/special split and the ability to flinch, it really came into its own.
Dive sucks and is inferior to Surf and Waterfall in every way, Strength is inferior to even Body Slam, to say nothing of Return. Rock Climb's confusion ability is a niche, but it's luck hax at best.
Fly is alright, but it sucks that it's a two turn move.
Defog used to be useless, but is better in Gen VI.
Surf is unquestionably the best HM move.

Defog. The only reason that it has to exist is an obnoxious tack-on towards the end of giving it one. I point to it as one of the reasons Diamond and Pearl were so weak. It's quite telling that no other games have given fog an in-game effect.
Cut, at the very least, could clear obstacles and deal (some) damage.

defog? Really, guys? At least it's useful now

Cut is the worst, at least whirlpool has a useful in battle effect. As does rock smash with its typing and 50% chance to lower defense, while also netting items/pokemon from crushing rocks.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom