• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, there are plenty of Pokemon who also get the short end of the stick and only seem to have one general Stereotype. Unless its owned by Ash or some other nice person, Raichu's are usually big dicks and they get so little screen time and have to get their asses whooped by Pikachu :| Pikachu's the main character and Pichu, got 3 specials, a movie and its own game rendition. I'm convinced the writers don't really like Raichu :(

I actually think Raichu had it pretty easy compared to Persian. Was there ever a time when the poke-cougar showed up and wasn't portrayed in a negative light?

Fagin Persian from "Go West Young Meowth" had shades of grey, but that's about it.

But I think the biggest issue I have with the series is how they balance out screentime between pokemon. If it's not someone in the main cast's team being favoured at the expense of another (or even several others)

This would be my biggest complaint.

My second would be the same moves being given to the cast's Pokémon. Seeing Dig a Hole on Goukazaru, Manmoo, Fukamaru and now Yannap is a little tiring, same for Water Gun. There are other alternatives that would mix things up a bit.

Other than those two, all my other complaints are minor and nitpicky.

Yeah, yeah, my massive walls of text threaten to consume you all. You can direct your complaints to my monthly visitor, which most likely will behead everyone within a 5-foot radius. ♥

Kaitou's point reminded me of another example of certain species being stereotyped in a negative way. I'm glad AG did a bit more justice with a competent (and good-natured) Meowth and DP had the shy Raichu from the Summer School arc that Ash got to work with (you know, to sate our curiosity of what it would be like if Ash had a Raichu). For DP, especially after seeing the specials, Ariados seem to be for Dawn what the Spearow were for Ash. I wish they would've had Dawn like, capture the shiny one in her special and have her come full-circle if they wanted to make best of what was like the fourth time Dawn's had to deal with an Ariados-related situation, but no. She'll just burn them all to death with her Quilava and jump for joy as they all turn into smoldering piles of ash... that sick, sick girl.

And I agree with Croag about the music overhaul for BW. Not that the new music is bad or anything, but BW as a whole is still bothering me in several ways, mostly for all of the ways it's trying to be some sort of "clean slate". If it were a true reboot of the series, I swear I'd be able to tolerate this series a lot better. Counting it as being in continuity with previous series just makes so many elements to it infuriating... many of which I already listed. But I guess I'll go ahead and say that, despite being in the minority, I am not feeling a true trio vibe with Ash/Iris/Cilan. Iris is slowly starting to piss me off with her Misty expy traits (which saddens me because I was looking forward to her more so than any other "new girl" prior to a series debut), and while Cilan doesn't exactly bug me... I don't really see what's so fantastic-amazing about him. Plus the fact that neither of these guys seem to have established reasons for traveling with Ash just puts me off, too. Like I said once before, I think I'm too used to the series usually establishing the status quo fully right from the beginning. I really think BW going out of its way to be like the Kanto series revisited is backfiring big time. At least it is for me. The only character in BW so far that's even remotely grabbing me is Bianca, but she's essentially Barry-with-Boobs, so what's the point (beyond obvious Gen V promotion)? Am I just being hopelessly negative about the whole thing?

Well, I probably am. But the point still stands.

For me it'd be the Voice Actors (not JP though) I think I watch the JP too much to where the english sounds choppy and slow and I miss the JP accent and stuff. Truthfully, after all my complaining about the dub, I really think this is why XDDD

Now! If I answered this during DP...........................I'd probably gripe everything but Ash, Ash's Pokemon, Barry and Paul.

Pretty much main characters being replaced like theres no tomorrow causing consequence of many great previous companions to rot in past barely being seen again.
Its even worse when they got ditched without being used to full potential or developed much being sended to "doomland"despite having unexplored things in their stories.
Result of writers lazyness.

Older characters(whether its May,Misty or anyone else)can be refreshed,updating their pokemon team along with opening new subplots and progressing unfinished ones definitely having potential(some more,some less to be developed further but thats aside the point) bringing in end same entertainment value as new ones proide(sometimes even more)pleasing many fans.

However sadly writers rather want to focus on new ones which in reality brings nothing new on table(aside from different face) than older ones couldnt do just as good(if not better).

Complain number 2:
While i understand how pokemon was always lower tier show when it comes to character development or some deep plot having characters being stuck in somesort of limb never aging just doesnt sit well for me.While drastic change isnt to expect its not like it would kill them having Ash age by year or two still being young enough for target audience to associate with him having his development and all those region he travelled though from time point of view little more realistic.

That being said pokemon will sooner end than this will ever have chance to happen.

Last edited:
Another gripe - no old music in Best Wishes.

This bothers me, too. BW has great music, but I'm a huge fan of the older Japanese music too, and I don't like that they haven't been using any of it. I get that BW is more of a clean slate than the other sagas, but I don't think it would kill them to allow some of the older music to be played.

I don't have any major complaints about the show, though. There a few things that annoy me here and there, but otherwise I'm perfectly content with it the way it is.

I wish the entire Johto saga could be rewritten and be handled
similar to BW.

There has been older music in Best Wishes. Barely any of course, but there has. Some of the Zoroark soundtrack and "Satoshi vs Gishin" from the Arceus soundtrack for both Aloe battles.

Another gripe - no old music in Best Wishes.

That's a big one.

And I mean I didn't like it that much when BW started since I had no idea what tracks were which, but now that I'm hearing the tracks in playthroughs it's less of an issue (ha ha, I made a pun).

The aging doesn't really bother me that much, mostly cause I've watched Ben 10 and there was an episode where they had a cartoon made out of Ben's adventures...and cartoons take YEARS to greenlight, animate, mix, and everything else, and the show takes place over 3 months. Also Archie, Charlie Brown, Calvin and Hobbs, who have stayed kids for 50 years.

Definitely changing the females every gen. Shortly followed by Ash being 10 and pointless filler episodes.

My biggest complaint too and the one that drove me away from the Pokemon anime. Replacing main cast members on a regular basis might sound good in theory but in practice its not a good idea.

I'm usually too annoyed at the fandom to develop any strong legitimate complaints about the series itself.

However, it would be better if there was some more characterization for all the characters, both humans and Pokémon. Although DP and BW are stepping in that direction, but it's not exactly there yet. But perhaps this is so because they want to keep it understandable for children. This is a children's anime first.

That 10 year-old kids are in charge of such destructive monsters. The least they could do is have them go to a specific school to learn how to treat, raise, & train Pokemon & graduate once they've learned a good-enough amount of knowledge much latter than at 10 years-old.

other then Character Development, or sometimes Lack of, none, i really like the show the way it is.

DP's Dubbing might come close too...

Last edited:
It's not that I have an issue with the rotating cast per-se... 670 episodes and 14 years just wouldn't work if it was still Ash, Misty and Brock (who was really overstaying his welcome by the end of DP, IMO). But seeing as all 4 series of the Pokemon anime are a supposedly continuous timeline with no reboots - there's no excuse to not have the former cast making appearences every so often. They tried it in AG and it was pretty good aside from the hackdub, but we got nothing for the entire DP series other than May in the Wallace Cup.

I really hope the specials Dawn and Brock got weren't one-offs because it'd be nice to see some older cast either as guest characters or in their own specials.

Before BW the thing that bothered me was that the female would always leave but Brock would still stick around. I always thought that he should have been replaced by the male character. I felt that it wasn't fair to get rid of the female but still keep Brock. Why not keep the female then? But since that's changed I have no complaints anymore.

The handling of Dawn's rivals also bothered me. She had too many friendly rivals and the only mean rival she had didn't appear that much and never even won 1 contest against her. Piplup also seemed to hog the screentime for Dawn's other pokemon and the fact that she got Togekiss so late bugged me too. I would have preferred if she just kept Ambipom.

I don't think the length of the show is a problem but I can understand if being a problem for someone who's trying to catch up. I know that the new generations of Pokemno reference things from the past generation but I look at each generation as it's own series in a way. Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation and Poket Monsters Best Wishes are in a way separate "series" to me compared to ongoing shows like One Piece and Naruto which are continuous from start to finish.

Edit- Team Rocket is also a problem for me. Why wait so long to change them when we were all so used to the comic relief TR? The only good thing about serious TR is the fact that TPCi doesn't screw them up like they did with DP TR.

I pretty much agree with everything Shinneth said in their insightful wall of text. XP

I can’t really complain about Johto/Advance/Orange b/c I’ve never seen them, but I have been watching DP and the episodes of BW that come on Cartoon Network.

I dislike how Ash hasn’t aged. I almost feel like it’s a joke between the writers at this point. It just seems weird, especially with people around Ash acting like they’re teenagers, like Gary and Paul. Weird to me.

TR annoyed me in DP but grew on me, and now their sudden change is a slap in the face. I really hope they just write them off after. :/

Piplup was a brat and took up a lot of focus from Dawn’s other pokemon, whom I liked a lot. I wish Brock’s pokemon got some more focus, too. His happiny is adorable! And his dynamic with croagunk was amusing.

I LOVE BW so far, don’t get me wrong, but a couple things are irking me to DEATH. Like how Pikachu is getting his ass kicked. That makes no sense! I guess I can cut some slack for the battle against Trip since Pikachu was just recovering, but what about Cress? That’s ridiculous.

Iris treating Ash like a child is bothering me, too. I get that it’s her personality, but it’s hard for me to listen to it when I know all the shit Ash has been through. Him not knowing anything about Unova doesn’t make him a kid, Iris. I’m pretty sure if she got stuck in Kanto she’d be acting similar. I hope she stops doing that..

My BIGGEST complaint is how TR is handled. In theory, I adore the concept of TR getting serious and actually being a threat is wonderful. However, with BW, their sudden change is too jarring and makes no sense at all. I pretty much believe pod people have replaced Jessie and James (Meowth is still pretty IC, but he's always been the more serious one anyway). As much as DP TR annoyed the hell out of me, I'd rather have them than BW TR.

If the change had been gradual and slow, and we saw the evolution of TR as they came to be how they are, I'd be totes cool with it. But that's not how it is. :/

Also...why Iris? Ever since the games have had a female character, she has been Ash's traveling companion. We even got a Lyra cameo when HGSS came out. So why isn't Ash traveling with Hilda? If it has to do with her outfit, I understand, I guess, but Dawn's wasn't much better. And the writers could even have kept in the continuity of Ash destroying every girl's bike in the world. Instead we're stuck with WILD CHILD IRIS. Ugh.

Now I've only seen up to episode 4 in BW, but WHERE THE HELL IS PIDOVE?! Ash caught (properly caught) it in ep 1 or 2, but we've not seen beak nor feather of the little guy. This greatly disappoints and bothers me even more than the Pikachu situation (which I won't go on about since everyone else has stated my feelings for it), because 1) Ash ALWAYS has his trusty flying-type (AND IT COULD HAVE LOST TO PANPOUR TO INCREASE THE TENSION OF THAT BATTLE) and 2) I lurve pidove to bits and I was excited to see that Ash had caught one and we'd get to see it in action. So far, no pidove action for me. I am not happy.

I LOVE BW so far, don’t get me wrong, but a couple things are irking me to DEATH. Like how Pikachu is getting his ass kicked. That makes no sense! I guess I can cut some slack for the battle against Trip since Pikachu was just recovering, but what about Cress? That’s ridiculous.

OK, i had no problems with your post, until you mentioned Ash Vs Cress....

did you actually see the battle?, it makes total sense that Pikachu lost, it was strategy, Cress was prepared to deal with speedy electric types like Pika, attacking its feet and confusing it, then attacking its brittle defense little by little is truly genious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom