• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact the show still exists, excluding that it would be the predictabillty of the show its so predictably it always has been but it used to be able to pull it off.

ash catch starter pokemon
ash loses to rival,
ash beat rival,
ash lose to random guy he jut met
repeat

My complaint is what they did to Ash himself. He didn't have to dumb down just to make best Wsihes Best Wishes. He could have kept his competence and could have still made it. Probably more better with his Pokemon since he was good with them before.

To-bias not being disqualified, Misty and Brock leaving (can't believe they got rid of Brock AGAIN), the reset, Ash dumping everyone except Pikachu, the show in general not being as enjoyable as it used to be, theme songs getting crappier, etc.

The fans are a big part of it to. I mean who in their right mind would not want Charizard coming back?
Me.

I think the writers made a huge mistake bringing back all the other generations to BW. I really liked the idea that the only Pokémon in Unova were Gen. V. It seems so cheap to bring them all in now. Ash's Charizard coming back was the final nail in the coffin.

Ambipom and ping pong.
Bashing in the anime (Burgundy, Oshawott, etc.). I don't really know why the writers think random bashing is funny, it's not.

The way they handle Leagues/Tournaments. More episodes! Less Deus Ex Machina!

Probably something no one else cares about. The dark-type being underutilised.

There are so many dark-type Pokemon in the anime that NEVER use dark-type moves. And for some reason the anime loves giving dark-types ghost-type moves, yet dark and ghost moves have the same advantages. So what's the point? They might as well just give them dark-type moves.

-Ash's Scraggy has 2 normal move and 2 fighting move, but no dark moves.
-Stephan's Liepard has no dark moves, but strangely has 2 ghost moves.
-Gary's Umbreon, and frankly no Umbreon, has never used a dark move.
-Ash's Krookodile forgot his only dark-type move for Aerial Ace.
-No Absol has ever used a dark move.
-Team Magma's Mightyena have never used dark-type moves.
-Cameron's primarily dark-type Hydreigon knows 2 dragon moves, but no dark moves.

And the list continues. But basically I think the anime needs to give more dark-types actual dark-type attacks. There is no reason for there to be more dark-types using ghost type moves over moves of their own type. They don't have any problem giving Ash's Unova starters 3 moves of each of their main types, so why can't the dark-types have the same treatment?

Edit: Something else that probably no one else cares about: The lack of the use of different Poke Balls. Pretty much everyone in the anime uses the standard Pokeballs, and in 16 years of the anime's history no one has ever been seen using the original Great or Ultra Balls. In addition, we haven't seen any of the Devon Corporation Hoenn Poke Balls outside of Ruby in the movie into, nor have we seen anyone use any of the Sinnoh Poke Balls outside of that Japanese ending which showed them all. We've seen the use of the Apricorn Johto Pokeballs, but that was mainly only in Johto and they were only limited to a few Pokemon. These being only Pokemon from main characters who were caught in other Poke Balls; Ash's Totodile, Misty's Corsola and Brock's Pineco.
I seriously think there should be a bigger variety of Poke Balls used in the anime. The Dive Ball could have easily been used as the Lure Ball eqivalent, which could have been used to catch Buizel. Or Paul, with his super strong Pokemon, could have used Ultra Balls.

Last edited:
My complaint is tr's change I liked when they were funny and always yelled "Team rocket's blasting off again!" and the star appears, nowadays there just serious, I liked the old days better, also because of mewtwo vs mew, my fave movie next to celebi's sorry o isnt working, now its fixed

Last edited:
As of now, my complaint is how they made Ash an idiot in BW. He was terrible this season, and I find it disgraceful considering how well he did in Sinnoh.

Tying into this is the fact that he's never won a major league. He's probably one of the only (if not THE only) main anime heroes who isn't a threat and can't win as the series progresses.

My main complaints are bad voice acting with terrible attempts at humour.

Ash not winning a league is definitely 1 of my biggest complaints about the anime. With the regression of Ash in the Unova league, it makes his story feel pretty much like a pointless, endless loop.

Ash not winning a league is definitely 1 of my biggest complaints about the anime. With the regression of Ash in the Unova league, it makes his story feel pretty much like a pointless, endless loop.

The league is only one of my smaller complaints. That Pikachu of his really needs to either evolve or gain a new attack. No more reductions. The next is his normal battles. This goes with normal trainers, protagonist and so fourth. Winning a league wouldn't have meant the end of him. he won the orange league and ended up losing the johto but then won the BF, so he could win things but just not leagues. Maybe he should choose another kind of tournament.

-Palpitoad almost never being used.
-Torterra dont get a win in the Sinnoh league.
-Pikachu, Pignite and Krookodile was Ashs "heroes" of the Unova league.
-Ash getting beaten by an idiot with five pokemons

- Repetitive Nature
- Ash is Still 10
- Poor Voice Acting (Since Season 9 in the English Dub: I'm sorry, while the TPCi cast has improved, their voice acting is still a downgrade to me from the 4Kids cast's work)
- Poor Goodbyes/Farewells for Older Characters
- Ash Never Winning Anything Major Besides the Orange League and Battle Frontier
- Ash Still Being on the Show in His Present Form
- Team Rocket Still Being on the Show in Their Present Form
- Terrible Writing (Since Unova Saga)

Last edited:
Replacing just for the sake of replacing and not because it actually adds any substance, especially when the three of them were doing just fine (replacing Misty and replacing Brock AGAIN for BW is crossing the line).

Last edited:
Replacing just for the sake of replacing and not because it actually adds any substance, especially when the three of them were doing just fine (replacing Misty and replacing Brock AGAIN for BW is crossing the line).

They don't replace characters for the sake of replacing them. They clearly want to replace characters to help market the new games even more, which makes sense given how the show's main purpose is to market the games. I understand that you don't like that they replace characters and I can see why that would bother you, but there is actually a reason as to why they replace characters. I still think that it would have been boring if the main cast was the same for over a decade. While I'll admit that Misty was full of potential, I doubt that she would have gotten significantly better with another series under her belt. As for Brock, while I was sad to see him go, I wasn't upset since he had actually been around for so long, so at least he had more time than Misty did. It certainly wasn't crossing a line. Though, it helps that I still think that replacing Misty and then continuing to provide a new female lead with every series was one of the best decisions they've made.

Looking at options given on this poll i can't help but not to realize how excessive cast replacing was biggest mistake writers could had made in this show imo damaging its integrity in longer run.
Replacing it occasionally to shake things up is normal for many shows not having objections to it, but changing them so often and in such number like pokemon does like they are on assembly line reached whole new line of exaggeration making it predictable and boring at this point being my main issue with it.

Whole trend of excessive cast replacing deprived anime from not only stable established cast which grows forward being taken through more substantial growth and build on friendship. But it also denied it from on going story and cohesive plot which builds on what was established before and amount of experience characters accumulated taking them forward. Considering how any friendship and relationship established between Ash and others, any growth characters make and working toward their dreams passing already basics and continuous story which is build upon in previous sagas gets flushed down the gutter in favor of another rehash of what we saw before destroying continuity, series history and chance to have compact plot which transfers to new regions doing continuation.
Which is anything but most optimal way to keep people interested into show and achieve long lasting popularity.

It deprived show from brand which would keep viewers loyal toward show discouraging idea to invest into characters and stick until very end to see how things will pan out, since they leave so often never having chance to be used to full potential ending unfinished.

Leading to less viewers, less money and decline in popularity with anime losing its identity and reputation.

If characters are already popular and well liked doing their job right there is no point in my opinion in replacing them just to introduce another one for the sake of it ending up replaced after couple of years anyway with poorly done exit as well with halfway done story instead of being gradually developed with new things being done allowing fans to see characters they like growing more.

I watched various other shows which keep same cast for years without people becoming bored of characters, since they learn every day something new about them exploring on thinhs they weren't familiar with originally knowing how to keep things fresh and develop cast over long period of time adding on their stories and what was established in past. Having as result of that more continuity, better plot, stable cast which promotes show and hook people onto it and opens ground for deeper and more concrete development since character already has some background behind him, which allows to go on bigger, more complex things being refreshing sometimes when basics are already covered.

Something we have yet to see happen in pokemon and likely never will when characters which has prerequisite to go further passing basics are replaced, immediately starting from zero with someone else.

It makes it even more pointless for me when whole background behind cast replacing originates from rather shallow and sexist reasons of giving new female fanservice "eye candy" for male audience at start of every new generation with advertizing having very little impact on everything. If Masamitsu Hidaka interview was something to go with bothering me how little respect writers actually have for their creations.

Last edited:

They don't replace characters for the sake of replacing them. They clearly want to replace characters to help market the new games even more, which makes sense given how the show's main purpose is to market the games. I understand that you don't like that they replace characters and I can see why that would bother you, but there is actually a reason as to why they replace characters. I still think that it would have been boring if the main cast was the same for over a decade. While I'll admit that Misty was full of potential, I doubt that she would have gotten significantly better with another series under her belt. As for Brock, while I was sad to see him go, I wasn't upset since he had actually been around for so long, so at least he had more time than Misty did. It certainly wasn't crossing a line. Though, it helps that I still think that replacing Misty and then continuing to provide a new female lead with every series was one of the best decisions they've made.

I know its not literally no reason, but then if that's the case, why didn't they use Lucas, Brendan, Hilda, Hilbert, Nate, Rosa? Also they have Pokemon to fulfill their marketing scheme, as well as game locations (even though thry fucked most of them up), contests/Pokeathlon(for HGSS promotion), etc.

Let us not forget that they also do it for eye candy, as stated above.

I know its not literally no reason, but then if that's the case, why didn't they use Lucas, Brendan, Hilda, Hilbert, Nate, Rosa? Also they have Pokemon to fulfill their marketing scheme, as well as game locations (even though thry fucked most of them up), contests/Pokeathlon(for HGSS promotion), etc.

Let us not forget that they also do it for eye candy, as stated above.

They didn't use the male playable characters because Ash takes up that role. He's the main character, so he's the exception to the changing characters with every series. As for Hilda and Rosa, there wasn't a sidequest that they could have used like Contests in BW, so they wouldn't be as active as May and Dawn were and since Rosa was introduced in the middle of the fifth generation, it would have been difficult to put her in the main cast. They could just use the Pokemon, game locations and other features to promote the newest generations, but why wouldn't they also include new characters from that generation as well? That provides even more promotion and it would make more sense to include new characters from the games as opposed to keeping the same cast for over a decade, especially when they would be able to provide a more variety of Pokemon with new characters than they would be able to do with say Misty if she was still around.

I'm aware that they change the female leads for eye candy and as creepy as that sounds, it still shows that there is reasoning behind their choice to change the cast with every series. Acting like they do it for no reason and then saying that they do have a reason for it just sounds confusing to me. Like I said before, I understand why you don't like it, but there is reasoning behind their decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom