• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the creators dont know what to do with TR

the creators cant understand that this is suppose to be a show for all ages not babies

also the fact that pokemon is no more dubbed in 4Kids so there is no need to draw women without bra,make all hitting scenes toooo soft (like when lenora hit ash)

that Ash is still 10 yo

that Ash take the whole rule in the movies (while some movies like the 9th and 11th should have been more focusing on may and dawn respectively)

there is no need to make movie stories cheesy

why pokemon movies doesnt fall on cinemas ???

the creators dont know what to do with TR

the creators cant understand that this is suppose to be a show for all ages not babies

also the fact that pokemon is no more dubbed in 4Kids so there is no need to draw women without bra,make all hitting scenes toooo soft (like when lenora hit ash)

that Ash is still 10 yo

that Ash take the whole rule in the movies (while some movies like the 9th and 11th should have been more focusing on may and dawn respectively)

there is no need to make movie stories cheesy

why pokemon movies doesnt fall on cinemas ???

5th movie didn't earn even $1 million at box office, so they decided DVD was best release method

Yeah, but movies 4 and 5 were distributed badly. I don't see how they can be compared to the first three movies...

There's no wonder Pokemon Heroes did so poorly at the box office!! I mean, Miramax didn't even give Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes a wide release. So how could they have done better? I didn't get to see Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes at the theater, thanks to Miramax. =(

At least when Warner Bros was distributing the movies, the first three movies received a wide release. And they were available at ALL theaters across the US.

I'm certain that, if another company had distributed Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes, and gave them a proper release, they would've done well at the box office (maybe not as good as the first 3 movies, but I'm sure they would've done well).

Yeah, but movies 4 and 5 were distributed badly. I don't see how they can be compared to the first three movies...

There's no wonder Pokemon Heroes did so poorly at the box office!! I mean, Miramax didn't even give Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes a wide release. So how could they have done better? I didn't get to see Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes at the theater, thanks to Miramax. =(

At least when Warner Bros was distributing the movies, the first three movies received a wide release. And they were available at ALL theaters across the US.

I'm certain that, if another company had distributed Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes, and gave them a proper release, they would've done well at the box office (maybe not as good as the first 3 movies, but I'm sure they would've done well).

Neither did I, but you are certainly correct

Neither did I, but you are certainly correct

I was hoping that they release the 13th movie on theaters but thankfully they didnt it was really horrible,it was the worst pokemon movie.

one of my complains in the dub james's voice :mad: hes talking like a derp

Last edited:
My biggest complaints was the writers using Lance for the Aqua/Magma finale instead of Wallace or Steven, characters who were actually in the R/S games, and not giving Steven a bigger role. Steven helps you out a lot in the games but in the show they just treated him like a character of the day.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!! I'm glad someone came up with this LOL No matter how you look at the Gen III games, Steven is important. He's almost always there for you, giving you a TM, giving you a scope and an HM, giving you a Beldum as a gift... he even tags up with you to a double-battle against Team Magma in Emerald! He's also a post-game boss at Meteor Falls!

Wallace later appeared in DP as a contest master, and yes, that's understandable. But Steven should've been in the Groudon Kyogre arc. When Lance appeared instead, it was really disappointing...

Steven is an awesome (former)champion, and he deserves more than one episode. I expected him to make a cameo appearance somewhere in the later series...but no where...

I have a couple complaints but my main one:

The series hasn't fucking died yet. I thought BW might be the season where they turned it back around and started making it tolerable again, but when Satoshi can't even remember what Attract does, they need to just put the poor thing out of its misery. No. Just no.

The series hasn't fucking died yet. I thought BW might be the season where they turned it back around and started making it tolerable again, but when Satoshi can't even remember what Attract does, they need to just put the poor thing out of its misery. No. Just no.

Considering Ash has already not recognized attacks since back in Johto, I don't see why you're acting like this is anything new. And at least now the show has cohesive structure, something the repetitive Johto saga never had.

Oh, and I don't like the fact that the anime left out some people. A gym leader, some Elite Fours, Team Rocket Executives...

I know the anime can't include everything/everyone from the game, and they have a limited amount of screen time. But it would've been better if they reduced any unecessary fillers and used more of the game characters instead.

For instance, like I said before, they were kinda horrible to Steven - a (former)champion appearing in one episode that's not even important, and vanishing.

Janine is the only gym leader who never got to appear... poor Janine :(

I would've loved to see Karen and Will in the anime... but they did not appear.

Same for the Hoenn Elite Four except Drake. I expected Pheobe to appear at Mt. Pyre at least, but no... :(

Also, the Team Rocket Executives never even got a chance to appear. It would've been interesting if they were under Giovanni orders in the anime - contrasting the games.

Plus, some episodes on event NPCs would have been fascinating. Like Wally from Hoenn?

Even if the whole anime series is about Ash, it's supposed to be based on the original games. I wish they had taken that into consideration.

They also ignored the entire Sinnoh Frontier Brains aside from Palmer.

My biggest complain is Ash not winning a regional league so far coming so close yet so far. He was deprived by it in Sinnoh by almighty writers making him lose to a legendary pokemon trainer. To what lengths the writers can go to let Ash not win any regional league?
Another thing that bothers me is that the goal of becoming a Pokemon Master is vaguely defined itself being not adequately expanded. Seriously, I can't see why the writers can't make him travel once he wins a regional league. It's no hinderance and it would in no way kill the show.... that's just me for you though.

For me it would be the animation. The animation is this show is extremely choppy in my eyes (just look at Satoshi's running animation in the beginning of OK! as an example). Some fluidity for the characters' movements would be lovely.

I say the never ending story thing. I getting a feeling that nothing that happens in the anime matters. Which is kinda sad

Oh boy where do I begin..? I’ll go region-by-region.
Kanto was my favorite region in the anime, yet it still had its load of problems. First off, the pacing. I know that it was the shortest region due to it’s starting while Gen 2 was in development, but it was still handled poorly. Misty and Brock didn’t really do that much, they were usually on the sidelines. The majority (if not, all) of Ash’s Gym badges were obtained in BS ways (either through pity, luck, anime physics, or saving the day from Team Rocket). We also have him giving up (or atleast trying to) most of his Pokémon (He tried to give up/gave up all of his Kanto Pokémon; he let Buterfree go with its love, he gave up Mankey for “training”, he tried to leave Pikachu in a forest, he said he’d come back for Pidgeot (never did), he gave Charizard to the Charific Valley, infact, he only Pokémon he obtained in Kanto that he didn’t try to give away were Bulbasaur, Muk, Tauros, and Krabby (the latter 3 were hardly ever seen). And that fact that he won a match in the Indigo League with a Pokémon he hadn’t trained at all since he caught it is complete BS. Although the dub was at its peak here, with the voices at their best and most of the Japanese BGM intact, it still had it’s flaws, especially “Mewtwo Strikes Back”. Overall 9/10

And then we get to Johto. When I was younger I loved it, but now I see many flaws with it. Now, many of its fillers were good, but there were more boring fillers than entertaining. I also heavily dislike the fact that there really wasn’t a defined storyline in it. I mean, yes, we got the GS Ball, but due to last minute planning, it was written off like a useless plotpoint that got Ash from the Indigo League, to the Orange Islands, to Johto. The Johto saga seemed like an extension off of Kanto, with Ash starting with his original team, no departures/newcomers before it (excluding Tracey), etc. And while I consider GSC to be heavily based of RBGY, the only difference here is that the Johto arc declined in quality while the games increased in it. The dub improved in some areas but declined in others. The movies got better, with less and less rewrites and all of the Japanese score kept intact (starting with Movie 4); however, the TV series declined, mainly due to more and more music being replaced with synthesizing 4Kids stock; while this doesn’t usually bother me, it did in episodes like “Gotta Catch Ya Later”, as Misty and Brock rode off into the sunset, happy synthesized music played. Misty’s and Brock’s handling was very poor in this, they became even more wall flower-ish then they were in Kanto. I also strongly disliked many of the key GSC plotpoints being excluded/being handled poorly. Although the Rocket’s Lake or Rage plot had 2 episodes devoted to it, the Mahogany hideout, Slowpoke Well, and Goldenrod Radio Tower ones weren’t even introduced. And one minor gripe I had with the end of the Johto saga was it’s change to digital coloring. Putting aside some recolor issues I had with it (such as Jessie’s hair going from red to purple), a lot of the drawings looked awful, specifically in the Johto league. This change should have started at the beginning of Hoenn (mainly due to the fact that it looked much better there). Overall 6/10

And off to Hoenn. This region is nostalgic to me, as it was the one I grew up with (about mid-late Hoenn). Much of the fanbase disliked Misty’s departure and the clothes change, but I disagree. May actually had relevance to the plot, and the AG clothes for Ash and Brock were my favorites. Infact my only complaint was them bringing Brock back. He was even more useless in Hoenn than Johto, and I feel it could have been much better with Brendan as the older, mentor type. And then we have Max. And I thought Misty was pointless? Psh. I know they wanted to change it up, but if they wanted to have a little kid, could they have made him…less of a whiny smartass? Ugh. Dub-wise, 4Kids reached the bottom of the barrel. The majority of the music was their synthesized crap, ruining episodes like “A Poached Ego” (that and Eric Stuart). I also noticed that the voices were a lot louder. I know they moved recording areas, but did it mess up the audio that much? And then we get to Battle Frontier. When I heard it was set in Kanto and Misty was going with them to Cerulean City, I thought it would feel like the lovechild of the Kanto and Hoenn acrs, which excited me since they were the best two so far. We’d get to see old faces, touch up on old storylines, etc. Not true. Misty traveled with them for one episode, which was a bummer. No old CoDs were shown, and no old storylines were heavily touched apon. And then…the controversy hit. 4Kid’s contract in dubbing the anime was up, and was handed over to PUSA/TPCi. While the TPCi voices have grown on me, looking back on Battle Fronteir, they were downright awful. Ash had no emotion, Jessie sounded fake and squeaky, James sounded like he had a bad headcold, Brock sounded like he was constipated, and Meowth….urgh. LUCKILY, by Diamond and Pearl, the 2 former improved tremendously. Now, the voices weren’t the VA’s faults. They were on a tight schedule and were hired as sound-alikes. Meaning they couldn’t interpret the characters any way they pleased. And by Sinnoh, this was mostly sorted out. I was also confused on the reasons people sem to think were behind the switch. It wasn’t because TPCi wanted cheaper artists, the 4Kids Vas were still under contract to 4Kids, and couldn’t move on. ANYWAYS. Overall, 8/10

And…now…we’re onto…oh god. SINNOH :D :)/). Where…do…I..begin? Urgh. OKAY, let’s start with Dawn. Keep in mind I’m going off the dub here. Out of the 4 traveling girls, she’s my downright least favorite. The way I interpreted it, she was a mary sue. Her obsession with fashion, her hair, and the fact that people mistook her for royalty helps me argue this. Don’t even get me started on her catchphrase. And then we have Piplup. That thing is the whiniest bitchiest Pokémon introduced into the series, I was truly shocked to discover he’s a guy. And then we have Team Rocket. Jimmy Zoppi apparently has a fetish for alliterations and puns, and since the Rocket-dan apparently “aren’t funny”, he decided to dub them as a Trio who hate each other and have some kind of allergy against speaking like normal human beings. And while Jessie’s and James’s voices were improved greatly, Meowth’s..just no. Zoppi can’t write or act, I really wish he’d just leave. And then there’s Brock. I didn’t think it was possible to be less than useless. The creators said they like to mix up the cast, which is why Misty/May/Dawn left after their respective series, but why didn’t they replace the Kanto gym leader who served no purpose to the plot other than narrating the scene for the people who don’t know what Pokeymanz are? With all of my griping, I did like the storyline and how it was woven throughout the series. Ash’s Pokemon were handled so much better than Kanto, and Ash had so much more maturity than Kanto. Overall I give it a 4/10 (Going off the dub).

And here we are at Unova. The first few episodes have nostalgic vibes for older fans who grew up with Kanto, which is good, I guess. For the first time in the series (besides clothes and hair color changes), Ash, Jessie, and James are redesigned. Ash’s eyes match those of CoDs in Hoenn/Sinnoh, and Team Rocket’s eyes, along with Delia’s are similarly redone. Ash seems to have rewound back to his Kanto self, which is especially jarring at some points (such as his failing to remember to weaken a Pokémon before trying to catch it, whereas he told May to do just that at the beginning of Hoenn). Pikachu’s power decrease is criticized by some fans, but I’m actually glad they did it. I mean, he’s had Pikachu through 4 regions, a group of islands, and a Battle Fronteir, plus their respective championship tournaments, that thing has to be at level 100, if not, in the 90s. He could essentially ride off almost any battle (that’s not rock/ground ty-oh wait, according to “Showdown at Pewter City” electric types damage ground/rock types >.>), so it was either replace Pikachu or delevel him, which they were never going to choose the former. I do have a gripe with Team Rocket. On the one hand, there aren’t any more alliterations, but we had to sacrifice their personalities, so that’s kinda upsetting. And just when the dub starts to keep most-all of the BGM, the BGM quality declines. I love some pieces like the Unova Rocket motto and the piece that is similar to Kanto’s Raid! theme (it played in the Plasma/Rocket trailer), but others seem like good music by dub-music standards. From what I've seen so far, 8/10.
That’s pretty much it, so yeah 8D

Ash still being 10 and the cheesy English-dubbed dialogue. Those are my two main complaints. There might be more, but I cant think of any. XD

Lack of emotion or any sort of event anyway from the status quo. Them not having full battles often enough. The disappearance of the orchestrated sound track. No lesson that wasn't already taunt. The impression that character are too strong or too weak then what is realistic. Ash(and most of the cast) being made of wood. Lots of potential but the are holding on to the status quo. The impression that the writers aren't trying to be clever(which is pain when you have shows like adventure time). The redundancy. The lack of emotion. The redundancy. The redundancy. Okay I made my point that REDUNDACY is annoying. Lack of depth. Lack of character change. Cilan mentioning his job but not doing it. Iris existing. Battles aren't fast paced enough or clever enough. Not enough battles. Not enough pokemon in each battle. A one v one tourney seriously. Fillers in which the art of pokemon training doesn't seem to exist. Recycled plots. Recycled footage. Lack of foreshadowed conclusion seriously what will Ash do when he leaves a league. Stuff that doesn't make sense if you give it thought or played the game (like iris crying over something Ash attacking Frillish when it is not a mistake or water gun and flamethrower being betray as equal).

Ash being ten is crap. Utter crap. I do not recognize the narration in BW001 as canon because its utter crap. Who can travel through five regions that require a train or boats in some of them, in under a year, by walking the majority of the time. The only time air travel is used without being a necessity (as in Unova), was the airship from Hearthome to Canalave, which the writers did not want to write the inbetween time. I say 13 is an age he could be now. I don't want to see an old Ash, because he is classic as being young, but him having some age-development is not too much to ask in an already ambiguous timeline?

That, and the fact that Ash forgets things he already learned. Despite Ash losing to stupid Haxxed Tobias, he was finally a bad-ass in a series. Ash became almost invincible in my eyes, never losing to a Gym Leader after Maylene. He swept everyone. And then he gets killed by a Snivy. Not even a trained Snivy, a beginning Snivy just received.

Crap.

to me Ash being ten is more of a stupid runing gag more than something I annoyed with there tons of anime and show that have stuff like this.

my only complaints are screentime and well screentiem. I going to explain this. when DP first came out it screentime was great up till Zeoy appear in one episode were she has a hurt ankle or whatever then sandshrew locker, I didn't really care that Mira got one till later on but anyway I thought "maybe they even thie screen time later on" but they didn't we got character like crasher wake and other game character getting only one or two epiosde while other coughroarkcough got way more. (heon had a gym leader who was a parent and that fine with me as I like how heon handle screentime.) that was really my biggest complaints with anime in general. you going to show a game character for say two episode you might as well do it for all them. DP had gaps between gym that coudl have been shorten, some arch shorten or not use and they coudl have enough time to show all them fairly before bw started

another complaint were pointless arc yes I calling them pointless, the summer school arc for example only show a Character of the day and did they really use the kownledge they got from it later on? if you said no you are corrected.

the Tag tourment is another yes it show ash rival but come on he already had paul and nambo at the time and then barry that 3 rival and to me that precfectly ok just with those three. and at time conway came of as a prevert freako who was osbess with scaring dawn. and not to mention he was a max refernces well to me. I respect those who like him but to me he wasn't need.

another thing was ash team wins. poor torterrea never got a slingle win since evolving not including TR victoriy.

that my major one for DP and here my movie one

Movie ok i am one of thsoe people who dose not like being mislead. Movie 12 for example got me so excited for a epic battle between Acruse and the space and time trio till it came out, I was like ok were that epic fight oh what diagla already ko. my friend pretty much was shock taht diagla got taken out so fast. I know acruse is the strongest pokemon but really the first few trialer made the fight look epic. and anyone know me know one other movie that mislead me.

That the writers aren't even attempting to hold a consistent canon together anymore.

Ie. with Best Wishes. The cancellation of the TR vs TP episodes has created huge plotholes and made developments in the first 23 episodes of the series seem confusing and pointless. I don't know why movies featuring Ash and Co are still being made - they're just extended fillers. This lack of respect for continuity renders whatever Ash achieves nil in the bigger picture.

The problem is, with continuity, it's all-or-nothing. You can't pick and choose or sit on the fence about when things will make sense or not.

Comic strips like Calvin and Hobbes are rooted within a status quo - and Calvin and Hobbes used this to its maximum advantage. There will be small arcs sometimes, usually lasting up to a week or so, but Bill Watterson never bit off more than he could chew.

This was because he understood that one of the strengths of his comic strip was that it took most of its humour and charm from the elements that REMAINED THE SAME in every strip - Calvin's young age, where he lived, his school and teachers, etc.

What has gone wrong with Pokemon nowadays is that its characters (and possibly its writers) are labouring under a delusion that there is no status quo. They attempt to progress where no progress will or can actually be made. Events that can only be made significant by their place within an established continuity are discarded carelessly. This isn't working.

Last edited:
One of my biggest complaints about the Arceus movie was how he was portrayed as just another pokemon. Being the supposed Alpha pokemon, you would have expected him to be more powerful and more knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom