• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Underestimating the audience's intelligence is the one that really stands out. Almost every other big problem I can think of could be fixed if they respected the people watching the show, which other companies (think of Pixar) have no problem doing. Pokemon doesn't need to be nearly as childish as it is.

The repetition of the show.

It can't be easy to write an episode for almost every week of the year with little break, but considering they have so many magical creatures to choose from, I would expect more varied plots and less boring filler. If nothing else, Best Wishes has improved on this, though most episodes still follow a predictable formula.

Oh, and another - I know I'm saying this again and again, but the writers are neglecting important game characters. They're either not introduced or given a poorly written episode.

Steven Stone, N, Ghetsis

My biggest complaints about the Pokemon series is that they change the main characters after each saga, Pikachu's power issues, Ash never winning a league, and Ash's character regression in BW.
I hate it when they replace the main characters because it feels like they never existed after they left the show.
Pikachu's power issues really annoys me also. It should have beaten Trips Snivy, even without Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle.
Ash never winning a league is really starting to make the anime boring to watch, it's just the same stuff over and over again.
Ash's character regression in BW is the worst thing to have ever happen. It makes it feel like that everything he learned from the past series never really happened and that the past series never existed.

My biggest complaint is the Johto saga not being what Kanto/Orange were, the DP saga stealing 4 years of my life with no Elite 4 arc, and Best Wishes toning down Ash's character.

What is with these long sagas? Even DP probably should have finished around 150 episodes to be honest.

Ash's age. They didn't have to mention any ages, like said before.
Also, I really wish they had an Elite 4 arc in Sinnoh, dammit.

Well complaining about some aspects is not like complaining about all of it. And each person has different opinions so everyone is complaining about something different.

I don't understand the complaint about Ash's age. If they didn't say it, will we believe he was 13 or older? Probably not because of his height. But my complaint was always about Team Plasma not appearing and Team Rocket taking over as the criminals of this region. I didn't like it one bit when they didn't even made one reference to Team Plasma yet. But yet Bianca, the gym leaders and everyone else get perks. I still don't see how that's fair.

I don't understand the complaint about Ash's age. If they didn't say it, will we believe he was 13 or older? Probably not because of his height. But my complaint was always about Team Plasma not appearing and Team Rocket taking over as the criminals of this region. I didn't like it one bit when they didn't even made one reference to Team Plasma yet. But yet Bianca, the gym leaders and everyone else get perks. I still don't see how that's fair.

Well yeah, alot of people assumed that Ash was getting older, due to things like his VA (originally Veronica in the dub) making his voice deeper and him seeming to act alot more mellow and mature as time went on, just like maturity that comes with age and experience.

Them saying he was 10 screwed it all up beyond recovery, not to mention his skill being reset and erased.

As for Team Plasma, they were going to appear obviously but their plot has been dropped IMO. If they appear again it will likely be for a short special that includes Team Rocket and hopefully deals with the climax of both teams.

As much as I love the show, i have no complaints against any on-going issue except for the constant abandoned Fire starter/I'm gonna evolve all the way sob story.....=_=" W/ Charmander being the orignal, i can actually understand the writers' motives behind the sob story. To me, I figured that raising a Charmander can be difficult as proven to the games that if you were to start out w/ Charmander, you're gonna have a hard time facing w/ the first two gym leaders unless you capture a Pokemon w/ the type-advantage so the writers somehow apply the difficulty raising one onto the show in a way that the trainer wasn't skillful enuff well okay maybe he's more than unskilled so he abandoned Charmander. Then when Charmander evolved, surely he evolved b/c Charizard was more popular than Venusaur and Blastoise.

Cyndaquil was on the verge to be captured by the abusive trainer and I'm glad he didn't since it would been overkill if Ash did caught a Cyndaquil that was abused.:sweatlol: torkoal was another fire Pokemon that Ash owned and despite not being a starter nor was abadoned by previous trainer, yet he was attacked by wild Pokemon.

W/ Chimchar, the writers wanted to show the audience about Paul's harsh treatment towards his Pokemon but coincidentally he released a fire Pokemon whose a starter. Now I really don't have an issue w/ that b/c in Sinnoh, there's barely any fire Pokemon apart from the Magby evolution line so the writers simply gave Ash Chimchar. The difference between Charmander and Chimchar's sob story was that Chimchar's storyline, it was more well-defined since the writers had improved since OS.

Then w/ Tepig, idk....maybe I do have issues w/ the capture episode.>_> It seems like the writers just thrown the same old plot yet this time, we never really see the old trainer but c'mon...I was thinking that the writers should have introduced Team Plasma b/c in the games, we get to see them in Accumula Town so it makes sense, right? So w/ Team Plasma, maybe they order trainers to "liberate" their Pokemon, maybe it can idk make the old trainer be more reasonable and nicer rather be some over raged n00b who released it for some dumb reason.:sweat:

I guess that's my nitpick w/ the series....:sweatlol:

My complaints is the poor handling of some rivals and every gen has a main character shafted. Can the writers not be capable of even screentime?

Well yeah, alot of people assumed that Ash was getting older, due to things like his VA (originally Veronica in the dub) making his voice deeper and him seeming to act alot more mellow and mature as time went on, just like maturity that comes with age and experience.

Them saying he was 10 screwed it all up beyond recovery, not to mention his skill being reset and erased.

As for Team Plasma, they were going to appear obviously but their plot has been dropped IMO. If they appear again it will likely be for a short special that includes Team Rocket and hopefully deals with the climax of both teams.

Exactly. I feel that the age thing with Ash got so screwed up that even to me, most of the anime' history was all black-hole into oblivion just by that one little statement. It's stupid what they did. The writers.

And TP, by this point, as said by @Gliscor'd, has obviously been Porygon'd. It's the start of the new season, Battle Destines, so TP's appearance has possibly became gone forever and to make sure people forget about it and that it never happened, like with Porygon.

And TP, by this point, as said by @Gliscor'd, has obviously been Porygon'd. It's the start of the new season, Battle Destines, so TP's appearance has possibly became gone forever and to make sure people forget about it and that it never happened, like with Porygon.

Except that Porygon DID have an appearance, but the stupid Pika caused thousands of children to get sick, almost making Pokemon get cancelled.

I didn't see these last few pages so:

-Absurdly powerful baby Pokémon: As much as I like Hikari's Hinoarashi/Magmarashi, how the f*ck a day old infant manages to go even somewhat go toe-to-toe with Satoshi's Hayashigame, one of his earlier captures? Especially considering his movepool is really, really bad. Eh, at least, it mostly battled with other Pokémon and never got a KO, unlike Haruka's Zenigame, who somewhat has a decent movepool but my god. Same goes for Haruka's Eievui to some extent, but then again, it didn't appear much, and then came Mikuri Cup.

-Battles against random opponents and fully evolved Pokémon with some CotDs: Wakana's Vibrava defeats a Sirknight! Whut. Koharu has a Barujina! Double whut. Langley's Tunbear smashes a Bachuru! Hehe, funny whut. J's henchmen got their asses kicked by Pochama and Pikachu! Pathetic.

-Merchandise driven nature of the series and anything that comes with it: Except Fukamaru and writers being forced to give some Pokémon like Buoysel and Pochama new moves and new tactics through non-BS methods, but including Fukamaru's late capture and lack of funny characterization for Pochama during most of the episodes during the middle of D/P beyond looking cute. Pikachu's Electra Ball barely counts, while it is completely pointless, Volt Tackle's recoil damage was barely ever shown, so yeah.

-Recoil damage: They could very well give Mammoo Return instead of Take Down. And I don't even want to discuss the other times, because there is too many.

-Shoddy characterization: This is mostly for Pokémon, though many human characters do count too. If I were to go whos and whats this post would be longer than my semester essay, so yeah.

-Various screentime issues.

-Weather conditions: They are either repelled by a Pokémon's counterattack, last for too small time(Hikari's first GF battle), or characters wait for it stop(Pikachu vs. Yukimenoko). But hey, at least they are including them.

-The way how most Pokémon just have mainly have moves of their types and not much diversity: Except Glion, but then again, because Earthquake was banned, he could only be somewhat good with a varied movepool.

As much as completely and utterly BS they are, since the battles of Pikachu against legendaries have been pretty awesome, I don't have much complaint about them.

Last edited:
My Biggest Complaint toward
1)Writer's poor treatment toward Ash & Pikachu.
I mean Ash is Battle frontier champ & Pikachu is a pokemon who beaten a legendary pokemon
Treat them like that ,will ya !
How Do you feel if a trainer & pokemon like that lose to some 3rd grade Trainer ?
Like Trip and Servine . They just started so they doesn't suppose to be in any Grade.
Also time to time Ash lose to other 3rd grade trainer. (like Chili , Kenny, Drew)
Ash is the main character . Do they ever think what gonna happen if his image get ruin by his multiple defect against 3rd grade trainer.
The main character are important. Kids like strong main character whom they admire & whom is their Idol.
Even if he start as a weak boy first.
Do anyone of you wish to be like Ash who can't even beat a new kids despite defecting the Battle frontier.
''Ash doesn't have his old pokemon''- isn't a good excuse because he still has his achievement & experience.
If writer think its okay for Ash to lose to some low grade trainer because he doesn't have his old pokemon mean that only his pokemon grown , not him !
Give Ash & Pikachu more reputation , Make them respected & feared, Treat them like a formidable pair !
2)No Shonen Feeling
you know, It a feeling you have when you watch a anime where a boy start from starch but soon become really strong and he make some friend and later with them he reach his goal.
Basically A feeling you have when you watch anime like Air Gear , Beyblade, Hitman reborn, or Prince of tennis.
A young boy rising up to the top.
I guess Pokemon doesn't provide that cause Ash barely see the top rather reaching it.
3)No Progression
For 14 year, there isn't any progressing in Ash's story.
I mean, it's always same. ''Ash start a new journey in a new region with new girl & a male. sometime he have a cold rival who's better then him. Ash keep losing to him again & again. Ash finally reach's the league where he finally gain one victory against that rival. That rival leaves for good while Ash get knock down in the next round. Then Ash goes home & start his new journey. If its a Filer saga then he has his old friend but if its a new generation then he ether have a new girl or boy.
And whole circle start all over AGAIN.''

I Mean, SHOULDN'T IT'S TIME ASH WIN THE POKEMON LEAGUE AND THEN MOVED TO CHAMPION LEAGUE AND THEN TO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ?
In all other imaginary sport anime , the main character already became a legend in the time when Ash merely become a Best 8 in a pokemon league.
4) Each league Saga's are too long
Kids are impatient so they can 4 year for one league saga to end.

Last edited:
I wish the writers would stop making characters so similar to previous ones. Example: Bianca is kinda like a female version of Barry personality-wise. I know, they have their differences, but their similarities are right there too. Paul and Trip are very alike too. The only difference is that Trip doesn't mistreat his Pokemon like Paul did.

Adding on to that, It'd be great if the main rival didn't have the same repetitive attitude towards Ash. I'm sure Ash would still work just as hard even if his rival isn't constantly bickering at him.

Also, Sharing is caring. Some even screen time wouldn't hurt.

Poor handling of characters goals. What was Misty's water pokemon goal? Did she even make any progress to it at all over the entire span of her run? By the time she left the series, did her water pokemon actually do anything unique or memorable?

Brock's breeder goal was also ignored far too long, probably why they changed it. Then there's Iris' dragon goal...what happened to that again?

Team Rocket acting as the main villains, resulting in limited appearances from the other evil teams. For one thing, Team Rocket should still be in Kanto and/or Johto. If they're trying to "advertise" the current games, then why use villains from past games? It's just baffles me. Could they've capped off their story in Johto in an epic arc? It'd make up for the loss of the GS Ball and SOOOOOOO many fillers.

Another thing, it's always just Jessie, James and Meowth and occasionally Bitc-I mean, Butch and Cassidy. Why not show more of the other members too like in a major operation such as the St. Anne heist? Or how about like the showdown at Silph Co. WHICH THEY SKIPPED? Hell, what about Giovanni? Why hasn't he faced Ash properly yet?

Also, if they utilized the other evil teams in a different way than Team Rocket, like having recurring members and, perhaps, commanders who don't always appear in every episode but when it's important to their arcs, it would've been much better and maybe create a linear storyline. Just not to often or too sparsely.

Plus, and this might be pushing the envelope, but I'd like to see members from the other evil teams like Magma, Aqua, Galactic and Plasma with gray personalities that you can't exactly define as evil since they're misguided and trying to recreate the world in their image for what they believe is the greater good. Unlike Team Rocket who are criminals. It'd give Pokemon a cool recurring theme of "conflicting beliefs" which would be a neat thing for kids or any viewer. Especially if done correctly.

Also, I wish that Ash's story ended in Kanto so the Anime could emulate the games' tradition of changing the characters each region while taking place in the same world. Old character would return to show how they are now and interact with the current main cast. Plus, I'd likes it if Hilda was the star of Best Wishes and that she'd appeal to boys and girls. Girls since she'd be a strong-willed female type. Not a tomboy but not exactly girly either. A little bit of both and a bit vivacious. Boys since she wouldn't be girly like they'd expect and they might get an secret crush on her (oh, don't tell me that never happened to YOU). I mean, Bianca's one of the few female rivals for Ash and... well, I think you know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom