• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact they change some characters' personalities.

Ingo: got changed from an unhappy soul to a happy person that's full of emotion.
Emmet: Got changed from a happy soul to a happy person that's full of emotion.
Skyla: Got changed from a kind person to a big jerk.

Most of the gym leaders and game characters got changed. I wish they kept their personalities.

And the pretending the family doesn't exist deal. Lack of sibling appearences (what happened to Chili?!).

The voice acting: It's good most of the time but the dub ruined Cress. I mean I thought I was gonna hear a calm, childish, geeky voice from Cress (similar to Silver the Hedgehog from the sonic series) but instead we got a mature voice that makes him sound like a 30 year old british man even though he's fifteen. It made hate his dub actor. Recycling old scenes from older episodes (like Chili hugging Pansear for example looks just like James and Chimecho). Lack of hygeine scenes or fanservice scenes: girls get their share (like swimsuit scenes or shirtless scenes or underwear scenes) I recall seeing Ash shower in one episode... so why can't they have showering in newer episodes? Just the top half is perfect. And unknown scenes that leaves questioning (like Chili screaming for example I found it weird it's like he did it for no reason and Cilan with his vest off, why is it off?).

Last edited:
My biggest complaint about the series (or more specifically, the BW saga) is that Ash spends little time training his Pokemon. I honestly wish he'd be more hands-on like he was in DP, but that's a thing of the past apparently. I guess I just got accustomed to him actually working hard on improving his Pokemon. :x

I hate how Ash is still ten. I don't know, it's just gotten to the point where it's unrealistic. So he was ten in Kanto. He's still ten in Unova? However much he has 'powers' (of sorts), it's still pretty unbelievable for someone to go through 5 regions--taking note of all the Gym battles and random things Ash & Co. does--in less than a year. Sure, the younger audience probably wouldn't notice, much less give two shits, but it's something us older fans do notice and sometimes even are bothered by.

Also, it might sound overly general, but I hate how the show seems to let a lot of its opportunities go down the drain. I can't be arsed right now to give concrete examples, but there are a lot of things in the show that could've been ten times more epic. I genuinely love the show as it is right now, but I of course wouldn't mind it being a little bit better.

For me?

I dislike how Ash always wins with unevolved pokemon all the time. Sure it's alright to do that in the first 2-3 gyms, but in no way shape or form is it acceptable in my eyes to pull something like that for the 7th and 8th gyms+the league. This has happened in EVERY series except for the final sunnyshore battle where Ash used both fully evolved starters and the gym match didn't feel cheap or rigged.

To be fair, Ash won the 8th badge in Johto using Snorlax, Pikachu and Charizard. Only Pikachu was not an evolved pokemon.

Anyway, i wouldn't say that Ritchie was perfect. Ritchie was shown to be a more discliplined version of Ash. However he was shown losing in the Kanto league and he isn't exactly a pokemon master. Ash would likely defeat him in a 6 on 6 battle.

Last edited:
And yeah, Jasmine was incredibly bland in the anime. In the games she's supposed to be this insecure and shy Gym leader, in the anime she just has the same generic adult woman personality that any filler character has.
Clair got hit pretty badly when she was given a Plain Jane personallity too, perhaps even moreso than Jasmine. Why on earth they decided to turn the arrogant, bitchy Gym Leader into....that, I'll never understand. Talk about your polar opposites.

Yeah same goes for Skyla she was nice and innocent but in the anime she was just lazy, arrogent, and selfish. Most of the gym leaders are changed.

My biggest complaint is that Ash and his world didn't mature as we did. Instead it is reseted anytime a new region comes up.
If I had a hand in this matter, I would have thrown out the current storywriters and instead recruited the storywriters from the company Banpresto (which are part of Namco/Bandai), which are known for the Super Robot Wars games.
They are exellent in what they do.

My big complain right now about the series is Iris. I like that she's currently getting focus but everytime I'm watching one of her episodes I get disappointed with the outcome. I had been watching Pokemon since the beginning and I used to love watching the girls on the show grow to be powerful, but with Iris it was shove an episode here with her and you got months of miracles that it took the others girls seasons to do. I know she's experienced but Axew was my hope to see her train it and see it grow more than it has. Take this week's episode for example. Snivy did a wonderful job against her opponent. I was happy for a win. But I wasn't happy that no move was even learned here. Not only that but I felt that Iris's Emonga wasn't even an issue over Ash's Pokemon which wasn't hers and it made me wonder if she does better using and helping other trainers Pokemon than her own. It's a strange theory but I hope things start to change for Iris but it's coming close to the end so I don't know.

Last edited:
They should change the age of ash because the series feels old and then ashes friends are always a girl he meets in the first town then the guy he's with is always a gym leader i think they should change it up

I never liked how the writing for the dub was handled. Before I get criticized for such an unoriginal and subjective opinion, it's actually for a different reason other than the voices themselves, or the collection of overused puns. I never liked, even in the original series, how lazy the dub writers would be in perfecting the way sentences fit the mouth flap. The did a great job with Team Rocket's motto, and how it had to be varied at times, but as for the main cast and COtD's, I became sick of hearing "as well" and "..., you see?", etc. a million times, just to fill the remaining gap of the lip flap. Isn't there anything ELSE besides those generic phrases that could be said, all while still translating the Japanese dialogue? I just feel like using those phrases really takes away from the originality of the character and kind of blends all of them together to make them sound overly polite and repetitive.

And that, despite my undying love and hopeless devotion to Pokemon, is my biggest complaint.

My biggest problem?

according to the show

EVERYTHING that Ash has done in the entirety of the show, has been done in under a year
cus he's 10

also the baby tier fighting, not cool pokemon battles, just boring preschool fights

One thing that majorly irks me, Ash hasn't ever won a league tournament. He most certainly is powerful and skilled enough to do so but he always gets screwed out of a win.

Also, he's still ten! I'm not asking for him to age up into the twenties but at least let him hit puberty!

The other thing is that the BW seems to have lost a lot of the humor that characterized the earlier seasons.

The anime isn't for real fans it's just to appeal to a few kids that won't care for that long it is written not for those devoted but to make money.

Plenty of complaints with this show. But I'll go through the Poll that you listed and give you my opinion about It.

Ash still being 10
This is something that pisses me off with the Pokemon Anime series is that Ash does not age. It tells me that the writers (or whoever directs the series) are lazy to keep the story moving forward. They constantly do the same crap over and over and nothing new. Why? Because they use the Anime series to advertise the games, which is why the story is pointless to keep watching and possibly a reason why Ash is still 10. Yet, It makes me wonder why the main characters in BW aged in BW2. Why can't the Anime series do the same?

TR's serious change
Not really to complain in this part. I honestly got tired of their gags. Glad they finally stepped up and finally made them more serious this time around.

Changing the main characters each series
Another issue with this series is the constant main character changes. Do we really need new main characters every new damn region? Because It seems like after one character leaves the show, the next one is just a similar replica to the previous one.

Misty > May | Both are completely different from one another since Misty does Gym and May does Contests (originally Gym).
May > Dawn | Dawn does the same thing as May, which is CONTESTS.
Misty > Iris | Similar Attitude, especially towards Ash.
Brock > Cilan | Similar personality, except Cilan doesn't hit on girls like Brock.

Voice Actors
Voice Actors are fine.

Pikachu's power issues
Not sure what your talking about. Are you referring to the first few Episodes of BW?

Ash never winning a league (not count Orange League or BF)
This also brings back "Why Ash never ages?". After how many Gyms and Tournaments he participated and all those years/months of traveling, he still can't beat one Single Pokemon League. Hell, he could have won that D/P Tournament, but of course, he lost to that Darkrai. The attitude of "Oh, when we make Ash win the Pokemon League, then the Series will end." that is completely BS. There is more potential for Ash after beating the Pokemon League. Furthermore, It would FINALLY age Ash from the horrendous 10 years old age to something more older.

I stopped watching Pokemon at some point of Diamond & Pearl because It got too boring to watch already. Maybe If they change the series a bit more next major Season and sure, I might watch the series again. The Best Wishes series is fine, but the flaws of Ash being 10 still pisses me off. And I do hope he wins the Pokemon League.

Two things that really bother me are... First ash's lack of evolving his Pokemon I mean a big reason he never wins a league is because the show wants to keep a sense of a young trainer striving everyday to get better but how is he going to get better if his Pokemon don't strive too and evolve? Maybe I'm wrong and a complete fool or have missed something but idk if I have. Second some of the amazing Pokemon he has left behind never came back I mean charizard huge reason he did as well as he did in johto did he ever make another appearance? I know that with new regions he needs to use good Pokemon but you can't just forget about some of the once important roles in the show especially during the leagues and the ones he did bring back I didn't personally care for any of them ecxept Sceptile and heracross but noctowl? Quilava? Which by the way I don't recall his cyndaquil evolving in the show but if it did someone please correct me anyhow I hope to see some of his good Pokemon make a return

Which by the way I don't recall his cyndaquil evolving in the show but if it did someone please correct me

Cyndaquil evolved in the episode "An Old Family Blend" just before the Sinnoh League.

My biggest issue is now how rushed things are getting. We're only at Unova episode 108 and the Unova League's already over... They really need to slow the fuck down.

a complaint for the anime:
Pikachu reset every generation
and:
Ash super over big total reset in unova, i never see that for a main character in all anime i ever seen.
BW was begin good with the serious TR, but ash backup has ruined the show (i had more interested in TR parallel arc than ash travel in unova)

Which by the way I don't recall his cyndaquil evolving in the show but if it did someone please correct me

Cyndaquil evolved in the episode "An Old Family Blend" just before the Sinnoh League.

My biggest issue is now how rushed things are getting. We're only at Unova episode 108 and the Unova League's already over... They really need to slow the fuck down.

Agreed. I've realized that when they do slow down that some things like maybe pokemon battle development can happen better. But with how rushed everything in Best wishes were, there was very little of that.

I have to complain about over glorifiying some characters in the show while some (Burgundy) was being tossed aside like a sack or spoiled potatoes.

In no particular order:

- Ash still being 10 (come on, really? Why are you still 10: AAAAAAAARGGH! :dead:)
- TRio's serious change (great, and yet they're as incompetent as ever before, only with no personality- such an "improvement" :saiyan:)
- Changing the Main Characters Each Series (without actually letting them meet their goals at the least: so what exactly are the female protagonists here for other than "eyecandy" as one of the directors of the anime said, and the male protagonists just being there for the sake of it easily replacing them? Stupid. :bash: )
- Voice Actors (The dub ones being replaced in the BF arc onwards- bad move, IMO)
- Ash never winning a league excluding OI and BF (can he win something else? 15 years and that's it? Pathetic = -_-)

Last edited:
In no particular order:

- Ash still being 10 (come on, really? Why are you still 10: AAAAAAAARGGH! :dead:)
- TRio's serious change (great, and yet they're as incompetent as ever before, only with no personality- such an "improvement" :saiyan:)
- Changing the Main Characters Each Series (without actually letting them meet their goals at the least: so what exactly are the female protagonists here for other than "eyecandy" as one of the directors of the anime said, and the male protagonists just being there for the sake of it easily replacing them? Stupid. :bash: )
- Voice Actors (The dub ones being replaced in the BF arc onwards- bad move, IMO)
- Ash never winning a league excluding OI and BF (can he win something else? 15 years and that's it? Pathetic = -_-)

That is something that pisses me off with this Series. I don't get It why Brock was still around for a long time and yet, the girls get replaced. What's the deal? On top of that, once they leave, they are all forgotten.

Yes, It is very pathetic to see Ash lose in these major tournaments. The only reason why they let Ash lose is because they don't want to risk ending the Pokemon franchise. So really, they just use the anime to advertise the damn games. Honestly, they need to hire a new Director/Writer for the anime. It seems like the current ones are lazy to create something new and just rehash the same thing over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom