• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Rocket is my biggest complaint right now. I mean it's times where they are not even needed in order to start certain conficts when the characters themselves have a great job of doing that. Especially in BW. I wonder who thought it was a necessary idea to have them show up in each episode again like we weren't getting along with the how without them.

Seconded. I tend to like episodes w/o them in BW more than w/them. Coming from someone who liked Team Rocket a lot, too.

I wish they'd let J J M reach their goals and then be done with them. Poor guys, like Ash, have never gotten to reach their dreams.

Last edited:
Can't decide between the writers basically making Ash a rookie again for Best Wishes or how tenuously the game plots are adapted at times (Looking at you Team Plasma). I don't think I need to expound on the 1st point. The 2nd point really irks me since the writers have great material already written for them. On the point of adaptation of game plots, I don't like how the movies will sometimes adapt game plots, which basically makes them unusable in the TV series (the main offenders in my opinion being movies 4, 11, and 14: movie 4 for making the GS Ball Plot go nowhere, movie 11 for hogging up the Distortion World and Giratina, and movie 14 for stealing the Reshiram vs. Zekrom/Truth vs. Ideals conflict from Team Plasma)

Right now?

The terrible writing of BWS2 (barring Ep N) and Da! would be my biggest complaint, along with TPCi Team Rocket in Da! itself.

The fact that this show is for kids. If it wasn't for kids we would have:

-Ash actually aging
-Ash not being a complete moron.
-Pikachu not reseting after each saga.
-Characters actually achieving their goals.
-More complex storylines.

The fact that people find the DP series is this pinnacle of perfection, when there are various, various flaws with it that I could easily knock it down to size, and people would ignore me because they think all people who didn't like DP are a bunch of nostalgic retards. Look at how BADLY they treated Brock ALONE: as a HUGE fan of Brock, that is the saddest thing I've had to see in this show. THAT's what bugs me the most about the fandom in general.

The fact that people moan and complain about BW ala "he's STILL 10" when he was STILL 10 in DP! I mean...are you pretending to ignore the facts, people? Wake up! Or the logic that "a-duh he's getting older, so he hit puberty, so his voice should change" when he's STILL 10! I mean, if they're NOT going to age him, then they might as well be consistent with that at the least (which they aren't).

I have NOTHING against those who loved the DP series: that's fine. What I don't like, are people who posit it as this cradle of excellence when it's just like any of the other three series: OS, AG, and BW.

As far as the English dub goes, how badly it has treated the old main characters' voice actors. They did a superb job with their roles in my book, and frankly I'm very upset that with all the people that seem to prefer the 4Kids voice cast over the current actors, that we have to deal with Ash and Team Rocket's current voice actors going out-of-character every so often. It's unbelievably annoying, and frustrating beyond belief, to deal with.

Make no mistake: it's not that the current actors are bad, but the fact that the superior actors (IMO) have been shafted in lieu of weaker actors (again, IMO). It's just so depressing for me on a personal level that I will never again hear Veronica Taylor as Ash and company in the newer English dub episodes. That, right there, breaks my heart. That they didn't quit by choice, but were replaced without their knowledge, and most would still like to return. That's absolutely sickening and mortifies me.

Last edited:
I'm annoyed by the fact that there's no character development. We go from the DP series which (in my opinion) was the best saga of the anime Ash gained a lot of useful skills & caught & evolved most of Sinnoh team, Trained hard, etc. also the Sinnoh League was the best league defeated a Latios in the Semi Finales & then in the BW series Ash forgets how to catch a Pokemon & lost to a lv 5 Snivy.

The fact that people find the DP series is this pinnacle of perfection, when there are various, various flaws with it that I could easily knock it down to size, and people would ignore me because they think all people who didn't like DP are a bunch of nostalgic retards.
Well, I'm not going to ignore you on your post and before you write me off as a mindless defender, let me start by saying that I do happen to agree with what you're saying. But I don't see people who like it call those who don't "nostalgic retards" and generally do see them explaining their reasons why they like it. I certainly try to do that myself, though I admit that sometimes I do get lazy with that and feel that I and others have explained it enough already to bother.

And now, a few other things I want to explain just for clarity.

Look at how BADLY they treated Brock ALONE: as a HUGE fan of Brock, that is the saddest thing I've had to see in this show. THAT's what bugs me the most about the fandom in general.
Brock actually happens to be what many consider to be one of the downsides of DP. I really don't see any users ignoring this at all except for maybe Brock fans.

Personally, I happen to have enjoyed Brock's character just as much in DP as in previous series and even more so than in at least the AG series. The main reason for that is that... I just didn't see what was any different about him from previous series. And I think that's what everyone really didn't like about him in DP: He was stale in many fans' eyes. The majority of the fanbase (or so it seemed) wanted him gone when AG ended and wouldn't stop talking about why he should leave next series - and they got their wish in the form of Cilan. I can understand that, but for me, personally, because I, of course, didn't know if he was going to leave next series, I didn't look at his character that way and continued to look at him as the same old Brock I always knew. Though, don't get me wrong - I accepted his departure just as well anyone else and consider Cilan to be one of the best parts about BW.

Then there's the fact that he had, IMO, the most memorable Pokémon team ever, which is what I enjoyed the most about DP Brock. Croagunk, in particular, was easily his funniest Pokémon, and one of THE funniest Pokémon in the main cast (which is one of the counterarguments I use for DP having no humor), and helped to freshen Brock's unending girl chasing gag.

The fact that people moan and complain about BW ala "he's STILL 10" when he was STILL 10 in DP! I mean...are you pretending to ignore the facts, people? Wake up!
Of course, except for the fact that... it was never confirmed that he was still ten in DP, only in BW. That means that we could imagine his age to be whatever we wanted in DP. But not in BW and now, not in any previous series either, not anymore, now that BW changed all of that. People don't complain that Ash was still ten in DP because DP can't be blamed for that. It's that simple.

And, mind you, this is coming from someone who honestly doesn't give a crap that Ash was confirmed to never age and understands that this anime was designed to be timeless - or, rather, ageless, given that the passage of time does exist in-universe.

Or the logic that "a-duh he's getting older, so he hit puberty, so his voice should change" when he's STILL 10! I mean, if they're NOT going to age him, then they might as well be consistent with that at the least (which they aren't).
It's only the dub that made the characters sound older, at least initially until around mid-season 10. Satoshi sounds relatively the same now as in OS001; so the writers have nothing to do with that.

I have NOTHING against those who loved the DP series: that's fine.
And that's what is really important: Understanding one's opinion even if you don't agree with it - because there is a difference.

Last edited:
I honestly can't make it through the Johto seasons. I can only watch select episodes. I can watch every other saga full and through however.

I'm annoyed by the fact that there's no character development. We go from the DP series which (in my opinion) was the best saga of the anime Ash gained a lot of useful skills & caught & evolved most of Sinnoh team, Trained hard, etc. also the Sinnoh League was the best league defeated a Latios in the Semi Finales & then in the BW series Ash forgets how to catch a Pokemon & lost to a lv 5 Snivy.

I second this. I also don't like how we've gone from having huge goal development to characters, verses those who do very little to nothing for their goal or barely their pokemon at times too.

Last edited:
I honestly can't make it through the Johto seasons. I can only watch select episodes. I can watch every other saga full and through however.
Agreed. I tried re-watching the Johto Seasons and I didn't really feel like watching It again. Only few Episodes and that's all. God, I remember how much of a drag that Season was. Master Quest was the only thing interesting from the Johto Series. I've managed to finish the Advanced Generation + Battle Frontier without skipping an Episode because I loved the Advanced Generation more.

I haven't been following Pokemon for a while, neither myself visiting this Forum as often anymore because I'm not interested in Pokemon as much as before. I don't even know If the new X and Y or whatever is going to convince me to bring back my Interest in Pokemon.

Indeed, Master Quest was the only Johto season decent to watch.

I understand the desire to rotate the cast with each new incarnation. It's a cheap way to avoid replacing Ash, instead replacing his companions for stale, dry characters that, lately, I've had no interest in. Personally, my biggest gripe is really a compounding mesh of several of this poll's options;

This franchise is about child empowerment; the cast is always relatively young, and eager to experience the world. But preventing Ash from winning the big championships is a slap in the face to each new generation of fans that discover this series. It's why I believe Pokémon rides such low waves with each generation. Fans who are introduced to the series quickly discover its pattern, and retreat after the initial arc, its why Pokémon doesn't stabilize with a mass of fans. People move out because of witnessing their lead fail. And no one wants to see their hero fail on multiple occasions.

This is why I believe in a rotating cast, but I believe in a FULL ROTATION. An entirely new cast should be introduced with each successive generation; this will allow the series to give their heroes a chance to properly succeed, or fail, based on their own merits. Without reworking the same character and making him appear as a hapless, naive child who doesn't take responsibility for his actions. Right there, you lose the child empowerment, and your fanbase will suffer for it.

Pokémon needs to be reconstructed from the ground up.

Also giving the characters the opportunity to actually learn and change will empower the viewership and engage them in the week-to-week affairs of these characters. And knowing that they might see them age keeps returning viewers interested when a new series with an entirely new cast is introduced. Cameo appearances by previous protagonists who become champions could be an event, and engross the aging fans to keep checking back.

This also means that each new series could be mapped uniquely. Ash has fallen into a dry, stale pattern of repetitiveness and predictability. All because we know they have to find a cheap, annoying way to keep him around. And it's just not working. They turn him into a fool, and children no longer care to bother with such a weak character, and nostalgic fans are insulted by the treatment of Ash and they abandon it in droves. This is not building a trustworthy relationship with your viewer; It is transparent, and a last resort to carelessly handle fiction and continuity.

Kids and adults alike love continuity; everyone wants to know; "What happens next?" The problem is;

Pokémon refuses to answer.

I always wished pokemon was treated as cohesive story which builds on itself, gradually develop characters over time taking their story forward and has strong continuity and sense of going forward staying faithful to characterization and achievements of protagonists it focus upon.

This show may be primarily directed toward kids and i can understand how its main purpose lies in promoting new games. But does that really excuse it for having bad, uncreative writing, inconsistent development of characters and shallow plot?

There are several animated shows out there directed toward kids and they still have better plot, character development and sense of things moving forward not having to resort to constant character changes or regression of main protagonists to satisfy viewer or marketing needs.

Since staff learn on mistakes, confront with their problems and find innovative ways through which they can keep their characters fresh and interesting knowing how to tell long story without getting stale.

I don't see any reason why writers couldn't raise up bar for change with Ash character by having him win league, challenge E4 and battle champion?
Afterwards he could try out more challenging and harder quest than gyms are (similar to how BF was or World Cup recently), going forward with already molded and experienced trainer learning new things, adapting to new battling styles and growing until he becomes good enough to go on some sort of league for masters becoming eventually one of best.

Which i find to believe having predispositions to be more exciting and endearing to follow than reset and dumping down at start of every new generation. Similar how they did with Tyson for example in Beyblade with his quest not ending after becoming world champion.

There is more to Ash quest than just winning regional league and you can still advertize new pokemon and features making main star relatable to young viewers by building up on his experience and skills as well. If anything that way those same young watchers might become more hooked into the show wanting to continue following anime when they become older as well while attracting more of all kind of age groups toward show which used to care about this anime spreading its reputation and popularity.

Im also tired from constant rinse and repeat dumping companions halfway unfinished formula dragging on for years. That's not creative way to keep some show exciting with key for long term popularity lying in reusing previous companions which proved to be liked and successful setting up groundwork for loyal fandom which sticks to anime wanting to see how will friendship between them grow and in what way things will resolve making them grow attached to characters. Forming stable ratings, strong impression among fans and filled with continuity, but deeper growth of characters as well tale.

Why not treat pokemon like other long running shows such as Naruto, One Piece or Dragon ball?
Why not have stable cast which keep ties to histiory and build on their friendship, explore on varioius quirks and facets of their personality evolving on dynamic giving out feeling of inseparate commrades whose stories are intertwined depending on each other. Which develops over long period of time going through more substantial growth utilizing previously acquired knowledge and have it apply in new situations advancing forward in their careers? To have several mini side plots which form entity of one big story they follow together remaining fresh, fun and likable to follow not becoming bored of them because of new thrilling things being added to them?
Have us learn new things about them giving better insight into someone story which is carried over new regions he travel through receiving more substance making for compelling and important characters which aren't just expendable trash existing solely to fill up time before new games come out?

While finding other ways through which games could be promoted both through new additions and reinvention of role with previous female, male leads being infiltrated wthin anime story in way which could help move things forward and advertize product without compromising advertizing value of it?

Sure you can say how during their time they spend together with Ash there are moments of bonding together, learning and improving themselves etc but at end of the day those moments don't mean much losing significance when cast is constantly replaced like live stock with any companion, established relationship and impact he left on anime and Ash growth being discarded fading in oblivion never to be seen again. Just to continue with "add nauseum" repetitive cycle of "Ash meeting new friends, establishing basic friendship, failing short at winning league etc".

In so diverse and big world like Pokemon its entirely possible to achieve this, and all issues Pokemon series suffer from currently from unstable cast , nonexistant history/continuity which is treated with disrespect , constant resets in development of main protagonists is nothing more than reflection of writers laziness and lack of willingness to do follow up and keep characters in worthwhile role just sweeping problems under the rug damaging integrity of story and whole foundation on which this show lies.

I know some may not agree but i felt need to get this of my chest and say everything which peeve me about this show and why im disappointed.

Last edited:
For me it would be poor character development for some of the supporting cast members, the under utilization of important game characters, and lack of references to past characters.

Misty's entire character arc is a mess. The problem was that they didn't give her anything to do when she was on the show to help advance her goal as a Water Pokemon Master. Another issue was that it seemed that didn't want her or Brock to gain newer Pokemon that they had interest in nor developed their existing team.

What I would have done:
- Define Misty's goal better. For example, play up her admiration to Lorelei/Prima and use as the end point that she wants to reach
- Make Misty's sisters competent battlers to give Misty more of a drive to prove herself. The problem I had with Misty's relationship with her sisters were that even in Kanto Misty was a better battler. To me it muddled the point of her running away from the Gym.
- Give her contests/ tournaments to test her capabilities
- Let her capture more Pokemon to diversify her team
- Develop her Pokemon. Psyduck's potential was absolutely wasted and Pokemon like Horsea could have used evolving
- Treat the Gym as a stepping stone to her goal not as an obstacle

Brock went from wanting to be a breeder to randomly deciding on being a doctor. If he is going to make career change, develop his changing interests. It's sad in Brock's case because Gen 2 introduced the breeding mechanic, and that should have been his time to shine. Hoenn and Sinnoh should have been regions where he discovered newer aspects of breeding that were introduced in Gen 3 and 4.

Jimmy, Brendan, Lucas, and all the other protagonists and maybe even rivals, should have had a better role. It's more frustrating in Johto and Hoenn mostly because during Johto, we were aware of Jimmy and Marina, but they never made an official appearance in the Johto arc. If it wasn't for Gary still being Ash's rival, Jimmy would have been suitable and could have been a pseudo Red vs Gold/Ethan in the anime.

Ash had no rivals in Hoenn and Brendan could have easily taken that role. Lucas could have been similar to his role in the game when Dawn is chosen as the player. Marina and Lyra could have been rivals to May and Dawn.

I'm disappointed because one of the appeals of the anime is that you get to see an interpretation of game characters that people grew up with and I don't think the anime did this properly.

Why did Brock and May have to leave? I really miss them. I can hope for them in X and Y...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom