• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite and least favorite starter Pokemon

Favorite for its game would be the Piplup family. Great line considering the gym line-up.

Least favorite is always going to be the Snivy family. Can't do much with its in-game ability and really relies heavily on Coil / Leaf Blade combo.

Grass: favourite Treecko/Bulbasaur, least favourite Chespin (really not a fan of any of it's forms)
Water: favourite Mudkip/Oshawott, least favourite Totodile (not too keen on Croconaw but like Feraligatr)
Fire: favourite ALL (not keen on Pignite but like Emboar)

Favourite ... I think I'll say Bulbasaur for my all time favourite. I've lost count of the number I've trained over the years and I still love it. I'd often have one on my team in Silver, and naturally I had a Venusaur on my X playthrough team. Snivy perhaps comes in a close second - I'm not so much of a fan of its evolutions (Or moveset for that matter) but it's just so adorable. Honourable mention to Totodile. I usually always choose the Grass starter of whichever generation I'm playing, except in Johto where I always choose Totodile

Bulbasaur will always be my favourite. I knew the moment I saw it that it'd be the first Pokemon I chose.

I don't dislike any of the first-stage starters. They're all pretty great! However, thinking about final forms as well, I'd have to say my least-liked is the Tepig line.

My favorite starter is easily Bulbasaur. First in the dex, first one I started with and just keeps getting better with each generation mega Venusaur FTW. Froakie comes very close for turning into a ninja frog with stab bonus on everything.

My least favorite starter is easily Tepig for how god awful and unoriginal its evolutions are. Though Oshawott, Piplup and (if it counts) Pikachu aren't far behind it thanks to the anime. Constant spotlight stealing, forced publicity and Oshawott and Piplup were just obnoxious most of the time which is just painful to watch.

Last edited:
Torchic is my favorite starter.

I really don't have any starter Pokemon I hate, but of least used it's Treeko.

Favourite: Definitely Mudkip, it's so cute! (and my first ever starter). And the fact it gains ground type is absolutely a plus!

My least favourite has to be Fennekin, I thought it was ugly when I first saw it. Granted, I do really like its final evolution, so that makes up for it, but Fennekin just seems way too scrawny with a too large head for its body (srsly, if they had proportioned it slightly differently, I would have had no complaints)

Favorite: Mudkip. Why not? Everyone likes Mudkip.
Least Favorite: Chikorita. Just, Why? its design sucks and it really isn't strong.

I may have misinterpreted my own preferences for different starters. Which ones I like most and least depends on their evolutionary level (I don't give too much thought about their first-stage forms, just their basic and second-stage ones).

GEN I: Basic - Bulbasaur = Charmander > Squirtle; Stage 2 - Charizard > Venusaur > Blastoise
GEN II: Basic - Cyndaquil = Totodile > Chikorita; Stage 2 - Feraligatr > Typhlosion > Meganium
GEN III: Basic - Mudkip = Treecko > Torchic; Stage 2 - Sceptile > Marshtomp > Blaziken
GEN IV: Basic - Turtwig > Chimchar = Piplup; Stage 2 - Torterra > Infernape > Empoleon
GEN V: Basic - Tepig > Oshawott = Snivy; Stage 2 - Emboar > Samurott > Serperior
GEN V-and-a-half: Basic - Panpour > Pansage > Pansear; Stage 2 - Simisage > Simipour > Simisear
GEN VI: Basic - Froakie > Chespin = Fennekin; Stage 2 - Greninja > Chesnaught > Delphox

Out of every starter that has existed so far, though, my favourite is, without question, Eevee. :D

Hmm...that's tough.
I'd say my favorite is either Torchic or Mudkip or Tepig (not counting those absolutely awful evolutions).
My least favorite has to be Froakie (I just can't stand him for some reason), Tepigs Evolutions and all the 4th gen starters.

Snivy and Turtwig are my favorite starters, the former because of how sleek and regal it and its evolutions are, and the latter because of how cute it is.

As much as I like Meganium (I actually like it more than Typhlosion and Feraligatr), Chikorita is my least favorite. Chikorita looks like an ugly bean.

Fave: Charizard. I also love the Tepig-line and Samurott.
Least fave: All the Gen IV starters (I only mentioned the Piplup-line in the past, but I am growing less fond of the other two lines as time goes on)

Hmm, let's see...

Favorite: Either Bulbasaur or Totodile. The best starters are the ones who can help you through the early game while still pulling their weight later on, and Bulbasaur and Totodile both do that well.

Bulbasaur sweeps through Brock and Misty early on, while becoming a great annoyer/supporter with its natural bulk, poison immunity, and access to Leech Seed/Sleep Powder later in the game. It also fares well against quite a few late-game trainers, such as Giovanni, Lorelei, Bruno, and all of those swimmers on the routes around Cinnabar. Plus, I've always kind of liked its design. (It's toad-like, and I've always liked frogs and toads.)

As for Totodile, it fares the best against Falkner and Bugsy (especially, if you send it over to another GSC game and teach it TM33, like I always did), and it also does well against some of the game's more infamous trainers like Whitney, Morty, and Clair. In fact, it doesn't see any major type disadvantages until the Kanto part of the game, which by then, you should have a full team to cover everything. The only issue is that most of its best moves ran off of its lower Special Attack, but otherwise, it was a solid Water Type in a game that was kind of lacking in them (thanks, lack of Ice Beam TM and no buyable Water Stones). Plus, it has an adorable design, and evolves into a pretty cool-looking Pokémon.

Now, I do want to give an honorable mention to Charmander. I've always loved Charizard and its pre-evos, but not as starters. While they can pull their weight later on, they have way too many weaknesses in the early game, and Charmander and Charmeleon are annoyingly frail. I liked Charmander much better in Yellow, where it was a gift you got a little bit later in the game (ie. after Brock and Misty), so it was able to shine a lot easier.

Least Favorite: Pikachu. Yes, it was my first starter ever, and it was adorable as heck, and it followed you around, but the lack of either an evolution or the Light Ball REALLY hurt it. By the middle of the game, it had trouble dealing with Pokémon it was supposed to be strong against, and it was absolutely useless against late-game Water Type opponents like Lorelei's Lapras or your Rival's Vaporeon, who always dished out more damage to the little yellow rat than the other way around. Suffice to say, Pikachu usually went on a permanent vacation to the PC sometime around Celadon City.

I always have a hard time choosing favorites/least favorites... XD

Favorite overall: Mudkip
Least favorites: Tepig, Chikorita, Snivy

Favourite: Mudkip, I love Swampert's typing and its "derpy yet powerful" looks.
Least favourite: Chikorita, not only is it boring, it is also very disappointing in battle.
I also dislike Incineroar, Blaziken and Delphox, but at least their basic stages are alright.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom