• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite and least favorite starter Pokemon

Favorites - Charmander and Snivy. I'm actually not a big fan of Charmander and Charmeleon, but I love Charizard (I know it's overrated, but I can't help it). I also think Snivy's line is cool-looking.

Least favorites - Tepig and Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur's line has always come across as bland and uninteresting to me, and Tepig's line is just plain ugly in my opinion.

hard choice in fact its too hard to decide unless i split it gen wise (and even then its hard)

gen 1 fave: squirtle first ever mon (fr) and probably my favourite water starter
gen 1 least liked: bulbasaur cant say its bad but never grew on me

gen 2 fave: cyndiquil just so cute
gen 2 least liked:chikorita just...well rubbish

gen 3 fave: tie all of them are either too cute/epic/amazing too not like
gen 3 least liked: none

gen 4 fave: turtwig looks so cute and its evos are so badass
gen 4 least liked: empoleon from the game point never liked it then when i watched the anime that didnt help much

gen 5 fave: snivy the only decent gen 5 starter albiet still not amazing
gen 5 least liked: oshawott and tepig not their fault as such but their evos are just...

Favorite: Totodile. Best reptilian Pokemon design of all time, imo. Plus Feraligatr is a monster. Plus Wooper is my favorite and I must always have one in my G/HG team. Along with Feraligatr it can be ensured all the water HMs are evenly distributed.
Least: Tepig. Tepig itself is cute enough but Emboar is awful looking, and both fire/fighting starters before it are so much better-designed and just as strong, if not stronger. And if you have a worse design than the Chimchar line, you have some very serious problems.

I don't understand all the Mudkip hate. I tend to favor water starters, though. But Swampert's electric immunity? Fuck yo' Dragonite's Thunder; Blizzard, bitch! xD
Honestly I just caught a Torkoal and it, alongside my Swalot, murdered the face right off that Sceptile. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Totodile. I've picked it often and I like the way it looks and the same goes for Feraligatr.

Least favorite would probably be.....Chimchar. I just don't like the way it looks tbh. Infernape is really good and all, but still.

My favorite is Mudkip, because Swampert is so much fun to battle with. :) Cyndaquil is my second favorite.

Least favorite... Probably Tepig. I don't have anything against it, it's just boring in my opinion.

My favorites are Oshawott alongside Charmander
My least favorites are Bulbasaur and Tepig. They are cute but other than that they are just "meh"

favorite: Treecko- Slick design and interesting movepool

least favorite: Torchic- overused in hoenn. too many people choose torchic for blaziken and its blaze kick. its repulsive...:/

My favorite starter is Squirtle because he's pretty underrated, in my opinion.

My least favorite would have to be turtwig.

Favorite: Totodile, because Feraligatr is such a badass.

Least Favorite: All of the Sinnoh starters because I found them to be boring and uncreative. Infernape was decent though.

My favorite is Mudkip. You wouldn't believe how many times I trained that little guy on Emerald. My least favorite is Squirtle, because it's useless and it looks stupid until it's final evolution. I mean really?
008.png

My favourites are Treecko / Grovyle / Sceptile (especially since they fixed Grovyle's colour palette) and Oshawott / Dewott / Samurott (perfect example of evolution being a maturing process for Pokémon, in my opinion).

My least favourites are Torchic / Combusken / Blaziken and Chimchar / Monferno / Infernape. Torchic and Combusken I don't mind so much, but I just think Blaziken looks horrible. Monferno I can just about handle, but I hate the design of Chimchar and Infernape. From a design point of view, they are fantastic, given what they're based on; but I just really hate the way they look.

Favorite is Piplup, despite how annoying it is in the anime I love its move pool having water, steel, and even flying type moves.

Least favorite would be Oshawott, it's not a bad pokemon. I actually like the design, but its move pool is kind of boring. It ended up becoming a water HM hoarder for me.

Best = Torchic. It evolves into Blaziken, and that's all I need to say. Or Piplup, Water/Steel is the best dual-type combo and lots of STAB in moveset.

Worst - Chikorita - Just not very interesting moveset or appearance. Second generation starters were pretty dull (apart from Totodile!)

Favorites: Squirtle and Piplup. Blastoise was a beast back in the day for me (he defeated the E4 on his own using Struggle, for goodness sake), and Empoleon was probably my second favorite starter to use. Torchic and Charmander were also favorites of mine, but I've always been partial to water starters. However, Oshawott has been a little disappointing for me.

Least favorites: Tepig and Chikorita. Tepig is purely for aesthetic purposes; I just loathe his design something fierce. Chikorita was the weakest starter I ever used, and the only one I ever ditched halfway through a game.

My favorite starter pokemon are Blaziken, Infernape, and Venusaur. My least favorite are Serperior and Meganium

My favorite is Sceptile and its evolution line, I love their designs. :thumbup:

My least is Emboar, poor little Tepig had so much more possibility. :bawl:

My favorite would be... Aw man it would have to be Piplup even though I like Oshawott too. He's a Pokemon totally worth training.

My least favorite would be Turtwig. He could of been much better...

Piplup for sure, yeah. Empoleon has eleven resistances and one immunity. Fire and Grass both do normal damage and of the weaknesses, fighting types are easily countered with flying moves and ground types with ice moves. Earthquake can take down electric types. If it's fast enough to hit first and strong enough to one shot the opponent, it's invincible.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom