• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite and least favorite starter Pokemon

Grass-type
Bulbasaur: cute plant dinosaur which ends up with a great mega evolved form.

Fire-type
Torchic: starts with cuteness and ends with awesomeness... And a great mega evolved form as well.

Water-type
Totodile: great movepool and such a perfect Pokémon to use with its hidden ability.

I settled my own three favourite starters, one for each type, on the first three Generations. Nostalgia also plays a big value for these three starters.

I'm a huge fan of Empoleon, for me it's the prefect one for a battle or even a contest. But i really cant imagine me picking Rowlet or Grookey, I can't see a starter in them.

My favorite one is Bulbasaur, and nostalgia has a big influence on it. If not, Snivy would be my pick.
As for the least favorite...Popplio, due to the clown elements.

My favorite is a tie between Turtwig and Snivy.

Least favorite... That one's tough. On one hand, I don't like Chimchar, cuz I don't like monkeys and it and its evolutions don't make up for that. On the other hand, I've really come to be annoyed by Charizard favoritism, so I'm somewhat included to say it's my least favorite. ...Nah, Charmander was my first Pokemon, I don't think I can say that. Yet. Chimchar it is.

My favorite is a three way tie between Bulbasaur, Piplup, and Popplio. To me they have cool/cute looking evolutions and their first stages are just overall the cutest.

My least favorite is a tie between Charmander and Chimchar. Charmander cause it and it's evolutions are overrated and really boring in design (also cause I know two people irl love this line and I've never gotten along with them at all so it's another reason), and Chimchar cause it and it's evolutions are ugly imo, that and I've never liked monkeys. (except lemurs)

For the Fire-types, Charizard (Cue the boo-ing). I'm just a sucker for dragonic designs and it is my first ever starter. Even though Blaziken, Infernape and Incineroar are pretty cool as well.

For the Water-types, Samurott. Feraligatr, Swampert and Greninja are also really cool but there's just something about a samurai sea lion with a moustache. I love Primarina as well, but the others are just cooler.

For the Grass-types it is actually a hard one since I've never picked a Grass starter before. I'd reckon Venusaur or Sceptile. I never really liked Venusaur before but after using it on Showdown, I got a newfound respect and liking for it. Sceptile because he has a nice design and is useful in battle with his speed and the possibility of running it physical or special without losing much usefulness.

As far as least favourites go:
Fire-type: Delphox. It's design is horrible.
Water-type: Blastoise. This isn't a least favourite per say. It's more so because in his trio, he'd be my third pick, where the other Water starters in their region would either be my first or second pick.
Grass-type: Meganium. It's design is horrible. It's battle prowess is horrible. I really don't have anything positive to say on this.

I'll do it by type.
Favorite:
Grass: Torterra: I've always loved its design. It just looks so strong yet peaceful, and looks like a great place to take a nap on.
Fire: Blaziken. The original Fire/Fighting and still the best. This kung pow chicken will tenderize and deep fry you with ease.
Water: Greninja: For starters... it's a ninja. Who doesn't love ninjas? And secondly, it is virtually a Swiss army knife on legs, what with its insane movepool.

Least Favorite:
Grass: Meganium: The Mon sucks on all fronts. There is nothing good about it's design, it's battle ability is bottom-of-the-barrel, and its movepool is barren.
Fire: Typhlosion: The blandest and lamest of all the Fire starters. It's really got nothing going for it. It may be the best of its trio, but that's not saying much.
Water: Blastoise: It looks so bland, I dislike its goofy cannons (giving it a, dare I say, Digimon-vibe), and it's battling ability is just meh at best.

Fire: Typhlosion:It may be the best of its trio.

@Arcanine10 Hate to rain on your parade, but there is mathematical proof that the Cyndaquil line is the best of the trio for Johto, even in the remakes. If you don't believe me, look up Erizo on Youtube, as he does a lot of "best starter" videos that uses math and break down every detail possible to determine the statistically best starter. And Cyndaquil won that trophy in his Johto starter one. And I've done the math, too, so, yeah Feraligatr is considered second-rate. Sorry.

Most starters are my favorites.
Didnt liked that Venusaur and Blastoise didnt get secondary megas with type change.

Designs are great but for me the stats, movesets and abilities in some cases were unreasonable.
(if something is slow it needs some kind of increased priority moves or ways to handle faster oponents)

My biggest problems are signature moves like Sparkling Aria that should be better in effect wise for the user too.

My favorite is definitely Samurott. I've always found its design (the only thing that matters to me) to be very appealing.

My least favorite is (do I even have to say this? I feel like I've made it clear enough lol) Incineroar. Of all of the awful final starter evolutions this one really takes the cake.

@CynthiaLover Basing a starter as best simply because it can solo certain Gym match-ups on its own while a team exists out of 6 mons, is something I discard. Feraligatr has a good hidden ability, a good movepool and a movepool that is actually geared really well to its stats (physically orientated) while it also has way better coverage for stuff its weak to.

Favorite Water: Mudkip
Least favorite Water: Popplio

Favorite Grass: probably Rowlet
Least favorite Grass: Chikorita

Favorite Fire: Chimchar maybe
Least favorite Fire: Fennekin I guess

favorite
popplio! he looks silly and he has a lovable face and a cute neck frill and big nose and FUNNY LITTLE EARS... i adore him so much. should have evolved into a clown pokemon but i can settle for primarina
least favorite
chimchar because i hate monkeys :(

(this is just going off first evos, if it were all evos included though my least fave would be monferno)

Favorite starter has always been Water, least favorite are always Grass and Fire. It's regardless of Gen of Pokemon for me. Water > All

My favorite and least favorite are both fire starters, funny enough. I usually prefer the water starters.

Favorite: Cyndaquil. The entire line is on point. Okay, so the design is a bit simplistic, but Cyndaquil and Quilava are just so adorable, and Typhlosion is freaking boss. Nostalgia also does play a factor in this opinion, as my first game was Crystal where I started with a female Cyndaquil whom I named Piper. But I just love the design, along with my experience, and this just sums Cyndaquil up to being my favorite starter.

Least Favorite: Tepig. Gosh this entire line. Tepig is somewhat okay, as it's kind of cute in its first stage. But Pignite is just annoying looking, and Emboar is an atrocity who had no business being the third fire/fighting starter in a row. Gosh just everything about it I just hate. Don't know why, but I can't stand it.

I'll also just quickly mention my favorites and least favorites of the other 2 types.
Water
Favorite: Piplup. Adorable penguin bud that turns into boss penguin bud
Least Favorite: Totodile. Not that I dislike Totodile, I just like all the other water starters more.

Grass
Favorite: Bulbasaur. Best Plant monster
Turtwig: Just feels like a Bulbasaur rip-off to me.

Favorite: Chespin/Chesnaught

Even though he suffers from “awkward middle evolution syndrome”, I really like Chespin’s base design and final evolution. Stage 1 is classic Pokémon to me, taking an ambiguous cute critter and giving it special powers. Later on I really like the design choice of the Kalos starters to play on classic RPG archetypes, and I think Chesnaught is the most successful of the three as the bulky knight/paladin. The grass and fighting types work well together and it even gets its own special version of Protect (that Togedemaru would later swipe but whatever). Also its face kinda looks like a Robot Master from Mega Man; not sure if the designer who worked on that series contributed to this or not (I know he did the Honedge line) but it was a fun shout-out to me intentional or not.

Least favorite: It’s a tie for all the Galar starters. I had to pick a favorite in Scorbunny but they definitely didn’t grab me the way previous starters did and I’m probably going to box them as soon as possible. I ended up doing the same for just about every Alola playthrough but I still enjoyed them and didn’t necessarily want to do that. This time it’s intentional.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom