• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your Favorite Fossil Pokemon?

Cradily is my second-favorite Pokémon of all time right below Eevee, so you can probably imagine my answer to this question. :bulbaLove:
I'm not sure why I like it as much as I do; I think I just latched onto it at some point years ago after using it on a team and never let go. Same goes for Lileep, it's a severely underrated line and I can't help but be reminded of it every time I see a stalked crinoid now.

My immediate runners-up would be Kabuto/Kabutops (both Pokémon I loved a lot when I was younger), Bastiodon (a pretty recent favorite), and Dracovish (who really had to grow on me over time, but is fantastic). Archen and Omanyte are cuties as well, I'm fond of their blank little stare.

Oh man it's tied between Anorith and Tyrunt. I really love both of their designs and their evolved forms! They're just lil' guys

Runner up is the whole Draco/Arcto mix n' match line in Sword and Shield

I love most fossil Pokémon almost equally tbh, but pre-Paleogene cephalopods are some of my favorite creatures ever so it has to be Omastar (its design is just really cool too). I can't decide who's my second favorite, but I like the Kabuto line, Anorith, Lileep, Cranidos and Archeops a lot as well :bulbaLove:

It's hard to choose
The cute ones : Omanyte, Shieldon and Cranidos
The ones with interesting designs : Cradily and Armaldo
The menacing ones : Kabutops, Carracosta, Rampardos and Tyrantrum

Aurorus, it is elegant and majestic, and its movepool is fairly diverse as well. I also like Archeops, Omastar, and Cradily quite a lot.

Tyrunt and Tyrantrum are very well-designed Pokemon, I do have to say. I'm not big on dinosaurs myself, but I really like them.

I like Tirtouga is really cute, it's a shame I'm not a fan of its evolution.

Auroras has grown on me. I should use it some day.

Aerodactyl tbh. I remember really liking it after I first saw that one Fossil Pokemon episode in Kanto, and then I even bought the Tomy figurine (although the tail broke off at one point and I lost the figurine a few months later). I used an Aerodactyl in-game in LeafGreen.
How do you feel about Mega Aerodactyl?

For me it'd have to be either Archeops or Tyrantrum.
I absolutely adore Archeops' wobbly, flailing flight animation in the 3D games, and its Defeatist ability, even if absolute anathema to the idea of ever using it effectively in battle, is incredibly good flavour to create the image of a lovable little goober who's not really good at anything, but tries his absolute best anyway.
Tyrantrum is just extremely cool in that classic big toothy dino way, and I think that's pretty cool. It's also one of those Pokemon that I gained some extra appreciation for after watching it go about its day in New Snap. It's just a real cool dinosaurus.

I love Archeops design and I would not change its ability. However, I would increase its stats by a lot in order for it to be somewhat good.

Aerodactyl and Archeops are my favorite fossil Pokemon, to the surprise of probably no one. I also really like Omanyte, it's one of the few Pokemon that I think is really cute. And I also like Tyrantrum and Aurorus for their designs too.
Dracovish (who really had to grow on me over time, but is fantastic).
Same! Dracovish really grew on me too over time, mostly because of Ash's giving it representation through the anime, since I haven't used it much/if at all in Sw/Sh. Was it the same for you too Orchid?

As an aficiando of prehistoric creatures, Fossil Pokemon are inevitably a group of Pokemon that I express usually adulation for. From the marine invertebrates to the classical non-avian dinosaurs of the past; there's a lot of these critters I love.

To cite the top favorites.

My favorite amongst them is Dracovish, that haphazardly chimeric beast composed out of a thyreophoran's ass and the iconic countenance of the Dunkleosteus. It and its awkward brethren, whose 'birth' is caused by the apathy of a certain woman in the middle of nowhere in Galar, all hearken back to the awkward, incipient ages of paleontology, when haggard professors blew up each others dig sites and cobbled up whatever bones they could get in order to hastily create 'discoveries'; and something about that tumultuous beginnings and their legacy being reflected (e.g. Crystal Palatce Dinosaurs) touches me.

Outside of that, as someone who likes predatory invertebrates, Omastar is a classic of Gen 1 and is a highlight of a Generation that I otherwise have misgivings for. It's been a favorite spanning even as early as when I was a child whose exposure to Pokemon was TCG cards and some games. Also, I was in the Omanyte club before Twitch Plays Pokemon was ever a thing; look at those googly eyes!

Archeops stood out to me as a threatening-looking avian beast when I first saw it and as a paleontology person it still catches my eye. The actual Archaeopteryx is nowadays accepted as a transitional fossil, there's countless more dinosaurs both in or outside the theropod family with feathers and/or similar filaments, and rather than being a 'missing link', it's now accepted and known that birds are dinosaurs; the surviving archosaurs of the present day alongside their closest cousins the crocodiles. But Archeops, being a reptile-faced feathered, hearkens back to the strange, chimeric creature that early paleontologists probably saw; and I can't deny that Archen in particular is goofy adorable.

Cradily is an underrated crinoid and I always felt it had a distinct vibe even amongst the Fossils. It could be partly because it tickles upon design sensibilities I have a soft spot for in the first place: like those threatening eyes suspended within shadow and/or the eyespots that make the illusion of a goofy bucked face.

my-image (12).png

Last edited:
My choices are Amaura/Aurorus and Anorith/Armaldo. I don't have a reason in particular, just think they're cool to look at... and had fun when I happened to make use of these Pokémon.
Even though its type combination is fragile in all of its uniqueness, Aurorus' icy amargasaurus looks are beautiful and divine... while Armaldo other than still conserving a very cute appearance despite being based of what I consider a quite horrendous sea crustacean variety, is an absolute powerhouse and easily one of the strongest rock type Pokémon to have in a mixed type team.

aurorus and tyrantrum are tied for me! they're the first fossil pokémon i ever experienced and i've always found their designs to be really cool. i can hear the call aurorus makes in my head entirely clearly. i have some especially fond memories of tyrantrum as well. other than those two, i'd say i find archeops pretty cool. i just like how he looks.

I generally like all of them pre-Gen 7, but if I could pick just one, I'll go with Carracosta.

Carracosta is like the ancient ancestor that Blastoise never had ("ancient Blastoise" for short), and it has a nicely intimidating appearance and a useful ability in Solid Rock.

Back
Top Bottom