• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: What is your favorite genre of music and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Speaking personally, I adore folk music, in terms of both sound and aesthetics. I really love that most folk songs have been passed down from generation to generation mainly through oral tradition, and how so many folk songs share tunes, so you can learn one folk song and actually be learning two others as well. There's something charming about carrying on those songs through the years and using them to talk about the conditions and experiences our ancestors went through, like the songs create links in a chain with each generation that sings them.

On paper, folk seems like just my kind of thing; simple, minimalist, and focused on the composition more than the performance. But... I just don't listen to as much folk as I'd like to. (I will gladly take recommendations!)

As for what I actually listen to the most, it's alternative rock and metal. I listen to a ton of metal, but it would be exhausting to listen to such loud and angry music exclusively, so alternative rock is there for when I want something softer and maybe a bit more creative. I say "alternative" rock specifically, though admittedly it's a vague term, because that kinda seems to catch most of the bands I like, including my #1 favorite band, Radiohead.

As for why I listen to a lot of metal (death metal, sludge metal, post-metal, grindcore, one metal, two metal, red metal, blue metal), I just generally have a lot of negative juju in me on a regular basis and so the anger expressed in a lot of metal is relateable. I also kinda like the craftsmanship of it, seeing how metal began and where certain styles and techniques emerged and how bands influence each other today, that sort of thing. There's a lot of subgenres of metal and I'm fascinated by their differences and how bands blend their favorites to make their sound.

On paper, folk seems like just my kind of thing; simple, minimalist, and focused on the composition more than the performance. But... I just don't listen to as much folk as I'd like to. (I will gladly take recommendations!)
Well, if you insist...

- Pete Seeger is essential listening for anyone interested in folk music, as are Woody Guthrie, Lead Belly, and Utah Phillips.
- Phil Ochs, Hedy West, Tom Paxton, and Joan Baez are the cream of the second generation of the folk revival. Peter, Paul, and Mary are great as well.
- Mississippi John Hurt, Sonny Terry, and Brownie McGhee are folk-adjacent and worth listening to.
- Chumbawamba and David Rovics have some very good folk punk work.

@Jabberwocky; Thanks much! I will come back to your list when I'm in the mood to listen to something new. It's appreciated.

Can't say I have a favorite.

Pop - When I'm down or tired really energizes me.

Game Music - I use game osts when I need to get my mind focused.

Jazz - Very very soothing and relaxes me when I have a panic attack.

So my tastes very much depend on my mood because I find music very helpful when I want to keep myself calm. Otherwise I can listen to anything with a good beat in all honesty.

The only genre of rock I'm not so keen on is punk, mostly due to how political a lot of it is. That being said, there are still a few early punk bands I enjoy.
Which early punk bands? Early punk was just as political, if not more, than modern punk, seeing how the attitude of punk grew out of the politics and social climate of the 70s.

Which early punk bands? Early punk was just as political, if not more, than modern punk, seeing how the attitude of punk grew out of the politics and social climate of the 70s.
When I said politics, I kinda meant as in modern day politics (Trump, Hillary, Obama, Bush, etc). Basically politics from the late 90s/early 2000s to the present day. Probably should have mentioned that in my post, slso my apologies.
I don't have any issue with the earlier bands because, well, they didn't sing about any of those people. That's basically it. I just HATE hearing about modern politics in music.
But even then I still only listen to these bands on the very rare occasions, and for short periods of time (like once every few months, for about 2 hours), because like I said before politics in music just usually ain't my thing, because I listen to music to escape from that stuff.
Sorry if none of what I wrote made sense. I'm not the best at explaining my feelings on things.

Jazz, Alternative Rock, Indie, Indie Rock, 80's pop and.... yeah, I think that's pretty much it. I really need some tune or solid lyrics to my music, or I just start slavering and counting the nanoseconds. That's why a lot of music nowadays is just... well, I find it difficult to actually perceive a difference between them, let along a tune I hadn't heard at least fifty times before. It's kind of sad.
But weak lyrics are my murderers. They butcher me. That's why I like The Killers, because they've got some real depth to every word and Twenty One Pilots is, to me, just racked with meaning and the melodies always feel new to me. Ride, for example, is fracking brilliant. That, and Stressed Out. Damn I resonate with that song.

Folk metal, it has cool instruments.

indie/alternative rock, classic rock, and a bit of baroque pop. I have an special place in my heart for alternative/indie songs with brass instruments included, preferably trumpets and trombones.

Pop songs are my favorite. Just really like the beat that those songs have.

Rap is another genre I tend to like, but it is not my favorite. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom