• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite video game?

Chrono Cross. That game has, hands-down, the best battle system I've ever played. None of the chaos of real-time combat, but none of the tedium of turn-based—just an orderly setup that gives you plenty of time to strategize, without sacrificing fast-paced excitement. There's an aspect of resource management that forces you to think about not just how to hit hardest, but also in such a way that you'll have energy left for something else if you need it. Other features like the Field Effect make for an even more unique and challenging experience. But it isn't too complex, either; it's surprisingly intuitive, once you get the hang of it.

I also like the Elder Scrolls series, particularly Oblivion and Skyrim, as well as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Sims 3, among many others.

It’s a tough one, but I might give it to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It was truly an experience in of itself. The sense of wonder and intrigue I had, just exploring the world and learning the new mechanics was really something else. Hours would just fly by. I envy those who are playing it for the first time since it’s honestly magical once you start it.

If I had to pick one all-time favorite, I suppose it would be Mario Kart 64. Of course I've played later games in the series and a lot of them are objectively better, but I think of all the memories I have with this game and the simple yet classy aesthetic and it all just clicks for me.

Honestly that's how I feel with a lot of N64 games and I know it's probably nostalgia, but there was this vibe that a lot of those games gave off; family-friendly for sure but not trying too hard to be "kiddy". Smash Bros 64 feels the same way, as do the Pokemon Stadium games (for the most part).

P.S. Nothing wrong with kiddy, just sometimes the overly wacky nature of that stuff can be grating. Mario Kart Wii is probably the worst offender for me in this regard with its music, and MK8 was a huge step in the right direction in my opinion.

Zelda Wind Waker !
That's really the best I've known so far, so many bonuses, so many side quests ...
It's also, and this matters a lot, one of the few games where I didn't feel like I was locked into the story, the freedom of action is quite wide.

There's the old marriage good luck charm, that I think can answer this question, and others like it pretty well.

"Something old,
something new,
something borrowed,
something blue"

So, four games. An old classic, a recent favourite, one that I borrowed, and one that makes me feel or reminds me of feeling sad.

Old - Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
This was the first game I ever played. My brother shared a PS1, and we got Crash Bandicoot and Ridge Racer Type 4 with it, two absolute classics in the PlayStation line up. Crash Bandicoot was tough. Many, many hours spent with friends and my brother trying to even get past the third level. It was a game I only beat once I re-bought it on PS3. But we had so much fun, using cheats, trying our best to actually beat levels.

New - Legends Arceus (Switch)
It's funny. I was looking forward to BDSP far more than Legends Arceus. I wasn't particularly convinced that I'd enjoy a more action based Pokemon experience, up until I actually played it, can't say I was too excited for it. But my god, it blew me away. Just completely beat my expectations, and it's the first time in a long that I've really, truly enjoyed a Pokemon game, that's definitely down to it feeling so fresh and full of life.

Borrowed - Tony Hawk's Underground (PS2)
This was the first game that introduced the concept of level editing to me. I was at a friends house, and he had a tonne of games. But he pulled this out and maybe he showed me a custom skate park he made, but I just was completely floored. Making your own game elements was something I had never dreamed possible. In my pre-teens into teens I spent so much time in this game. I absorbed skate culture, the impeccable soundtrack that really got me hooked on music, my first proper love, and this game pretty much became a part of my soul. To this day, I'd rank this game above all else. It awakened so much in me.

Blue - Sims 3 (PC)
This is harder to answer, but I'm going down the route of a game I'd play to cheer myself up. And weirdly, I think that game might be Sims 3. I think this would be in top three most played games. When I was hooked, I was really into it. The reason I pick this one is because it allowed me to act out dreams and desires, it was wish fulfilment in many ways. And building houses was pretty relaxing too. I guess in a way it did bring some happiness to me seeing these digital people have a nice life when I was feeling down.

Its hard to pick just one so I will pick two of my favorite video games because they do flip flop in top spots. So Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games, the game was so different compared to other zelda franchise games and it was so dark and had so many good sidequests that gave great backgrounds to the characters in the game. I just loved how different it was and is compared to other zelda games. The 2nd one I would say is Final Fantasy X, it was the first FF game I got into and made me love the franchise but FFX has such a great place in my heart with the storyline, the music was so beautiful, the sidequests were challenging. It's a game that I have only 100% once because of how long the game would be but it's so enjoyable and is always a game I recommend to get into the FF series.

Probably Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I've been a fan of Nintendo for a very long time, and I've always loved crossovers, so the Super Smash Bros. series has always been very special to me. The music, stages, and characters to choose from in this game were awesome, and a massive upgrade over Melee. Not to mention the Subspace Emissary adventure mode of course, quite probably my favorite part of the entire game. The characters interacting within it, like Pikachu and Samus teaming up, is still one of the coolest things ever to me. :giggle:

Same as above. The game helped me make depression at the time easier to bare. I mostly played online matches, and even if I got my butt handed to me many times because I was using low-tier characters, I enjoyed it quite bit.

But it's a close-second to my number one pick : F-Zero GX, a futuristic racing game on the Gamecube, and was one of the first games to be made by Sega for a Nintendo system. It just so happens to be one of the hardest games to play casually, but I didn't care : having played the OG F-Zero on the SNES made me go through the game, and I even have competitive times on this game !

it's rather difficult for me to have an overall favourite, i think. for now, i'd place Final Fantasy XIV as that's the game that i keep playing and have been stuck on for two and a half years and going, but there are others that have had a pretty big impact on me:

• Okami: seldom do i replay a game multiple times, especially on multiple different consoles, but something about this game hits different. the gameplay, to this day, ages so well and it's not annoying to play through or anything in the slightest. the plot is enjoyable, the characters are great, the mechanics and battle system is a treat. it's also one of the very few games that make me sob at the ending. it truly is an amazing game for its age
  • Xenosaga: it's a damn shame that the Xenosaga trilogy has not had a remaster to this day. there's an entire generation of gamers who are experiencing Xenoblade but yet are completely unaware of its predecessor and how great it is. this sounds very Old Person-ish, but it's true! the main characters of the game have their own struggles and background and seeing them attempt to make the climb over the three-game trilogy to not only save the universe but battle their own demons makes this game worth playing. it's because of the battle system and the characters and the plot that makes the trilogy stand out for me and become one of my favourites.
  • Pokemon Emerald/HeartGold: listing these two here because i've had so many positive memories with both games. i dunno if i'd replay them if i ever had the opportunity to repurchase these titles, but when i did play them back then, they were very enjoyable for sure.
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: favourite spin-off series, period. the player turns into a pokemon and explores dungeons with other pokemon! what more can i ask for?

i think that's pretty much it. i'm hoping for a more recent game that would leave an impact on me enough that it would earn a spot on my "favourite games ever" list, but that hasn't happened yet =P

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom