• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music What is your favourite Pokemon theme tune?

EscLucy

Cake and bunnies pls
Reaction score
The first thing I think about when a new series is about to air is what the theme tune is going to be like. I really enjoy some and I really dislike others mainly because they are too cringy or trying to be edgy cough Under the Alolan Moon. I want to know whether you guys are excited by the theme tune before it is released and your favourite and your least favourite theme song.

My favourite:
Battle Dimension (We Will Be Heroes). I like this one because the video accompaniment is all about friendship (even Team Rocket were smiling and looking cute) and it shows off all the characters and Pokemon well. The music is really good and it isn't too cringy. Also, Kirsten Price is a really good singer. It was well put together! :)
Battle Frontier is also my favourite but We Will Be Heroes just beats it.

My least favourite: Black and White. It was so cringy!! I think the song didn't have any story and the audio didn't work well with the video. The only redeeming feature was them trying the 3D but imo it just didn't work :(.

Japanese:
Advanced Adventure
Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Battle Frontier
Be An Arrow!
Best Wishes!
Getta Ban Ban
High Touch!
Summerly Slope
Together
The Greatest Everyday
Volt
XY&Z

Dub:
Battle Cry - (Stand Up!)
Believe in Me
Black and White
(Movie Version)
Born to be a Winner
It's Always You and Me
I Wanna Be a Hero
Pokémon Johto
Pokémon Theme (Gotta Catch 'Em All)
Unbeatable
Rival Destinies
We Will Be Heroes
We Will Carry On

Last edited:
My top 5

1. DP Galactic Battle (Stand up) - Like I said before, I really like this song... the emotion is strong (especially if you listen to the full version), and it fits perfectly with the mood of the Diamond and Pearl saga. Especially since it was released right at the peak of Ash's Sinnoh journey.

2. Advanced Battle (Unbeatable) - This opening marked the ending of the 4Kids dub era, which is the dub I grew up with. This season also marked the end of my childhood in a way, as I was entering high school and became less and less involved in Pokemon (until I recently got back to it a few years ago)

3. Pokemon Theme - Nostalgia Nostalgia Nostalgia

4. XY Kalos Quest (Be a hero) - This opening was one of my least favorite, until I recently listened to the full version. I love it!

5. Sinnoh League Victors - Similar reason as #1. Unfortunately there's no full version of this song.

My top 5 LEAST favorite

5. Under The Alolan Sun - Its not that the song is bad, its just that it feels very short and rushed. Also now that Pokemon is on a different network, they could've made a longer opening since they're no longer restricted to Cartoon Network's 30 second limit.... I prefer the Japanese version that Ash's Japanese VA sings.

4. Under the Alolan Moon - This one feels even more rushed than the previous one, they also only used clips from the Nebby Arc, an Arc we're about to be done with in a few episodes. They could've used some clips of Future Connection.

3. Johto League Champions (Born To Be A Winner) - A cheap remix of the original Pokemon Theme. Many may not agree with me here, but I prefer the remix used in XY.

2. Pokemon World - Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

1. Diamond and Pearl (Season 1) - Pokemon and rapping shouldn't be used together.

Last edited:
OK and XYZ. Spurt is close behind, I think I'd rather have a longer guitar solo in it than the spoken part though. Edit: speaking of guitar solos, the '98 version of Mezase is up there too.

Without a doubt, Pokemon Johto is my favorite. Its just an incredibly positive and upbeat tune that gets you excited for a new adventure. Its also got some of the most catchy lyrics. Unbeatable is also an amazing tune, and probably the last really good one the English dub will ever have,

Volt and XYZ were also incredible tunes.

As for least favorite, Black and White is just awful. The song is so bland and for the start of a new series, the tone is so depressing. It doesn’t get me excited for a new journey at all. I’m also not a fan of the English XYZ theme and Under The Alolan Sun/Moon. They all feel so rushed. Its like its building up to a catchy chorus that never comes.

Last edited:
I am honestly a fan of the majority of the Japanese OPs, but my absolute favourites are:
5. Getta Ban Ban is sooooo catchy & upbeat, for me it is the perfect mid-saga OP because it's not trying too hard to persuade you that life-changing epic stuff is going to happen half-way through the story.
4. Saikou Everyday was a song that packed a bit more punch at the end of a generation with some fairly limp music (despite the most involving story arc of any series till now!) and I was consequently addicted to it.
3. I didn't expect a song as great as XYZ this far into the production of Pokeani. It caught me off-guard because it was amazing, and Rica, and the song and visuals were so hype-y for the tail-end of Kalos.
2. Spurt is everything.
1. The original MPM - none of the remixes have done it any justice - you can't make a classic better!

I also live and die for Pokemon Johto, Unbeatable and the original Theme. (Battle Frontier wasn't bad either.)

Basically every other TPCI era OP sucks balls in my eyes.

And credit for trying, but Symphonic Medley did not work as an OP.

I was thinking tune meant just the music, but it seems we are talking about the whole package (including video).

I am honestly a fan of the majority of the Japanese OPs,
You are so right, they are all so great. I get really excited to hear the new original tracks, I don't even watch the original, but I have to find a way to hear them/see them. I don't get excited about dub openings anymore, since they have been fairly bad lately, but I still am excited in a way, because I am excited for the old one to end (since its usually bad) and to hope for an improvement.

I'll do a top 5 original and dub

My top (slightly more than) 5 original openings:
1. Getta ban ban - This is honestly just a really good song, I have probably listened to it 500 times. And the video to go with it is really good, I love the start and I love the part where everyone throws out their Pokemon. Even though I love the others, this one is in first for me by a huge margin.
2. Advance Adventure - This one is so catchy, and interestingly enough, this is about the only one dub viewers already "know" because we hear the instrumental a lot during Hoenn (and even a little in Sinnoh). It was cool to know it already when I heard it the first time.
3. Saikou Everyday - The scene with all the mythicals is so awesome, why couldn't we have that in the dub?
4. Volt (the first one)
5. Summerly Slope
6. Together
7. Mezase Pokemon Master - I just wanted to go until I got to this one, since it is so iconic. And I prefer the original to the remakes.

Side Note : Mirai Connection sounds really good as a song, but I think the opening animation is pretty bad. Also I have only heard it like 3 or 4 times, so I wasn't ready to put it on the list yet anyway.

I think themes imply openings, but there are some endings I love a lot too so I wanted to list top 5:
1. Kimi no Mune La la la - This song is so pretty and really well done in the final DP episode (super emotional) and I just love the song so much. This one again is in first by a huge margin.
2. Glory Day - The video with this one makes it for me. All the really cool pictures, with a mix of emotions, I crack up every time I see James in that Moltres costume.
3. Get Fired up Spiky Eared Pichu - The song is so catchy, but I especially like how near the end it kind of changes, and all the video to match it is so cute.
4. Haruka, Hikari and Serena's themes - I just wanted to include all three, as far as songs go, Hikari's is probably the best (and again dub viewers certainly know it), but I really like all three.
5. Takeshi's Paradise - This had to get its own spot, its just so funny, especially when it appears in actual episodes.

My top 6 dub openings:
1. We will carry on
2. This Dream
3. Pokemon Johto
4. Unbeatable
5. Believe in Me
6. Pokemon Theme (XY) - again I wanted to go until I got to the original. I know this is unpopular, but I like the XY version of the original way better, especially the extended version in the Diancie movie.
-I still like a lot of dub openings (all of Hoenn except BF, all of Sinnoh, last two BW) its really just since second XY that I haven't liked any of them, so its not just the 30 second limit to blame.

Oh I just wanted to add, probably my favorite dub song of all is This side of Paradise from Destiny Deoxys. I just really love that song. Also together forever is really pretty, especially the music when they used to insert it.

Last edited:
My favorites (Japanese)

- OK!
- Ready Go!
- Advanced Adventure
- Battle Frontier (Japanese)
- Together
- The Greatest (Everyday)
- Be an Arrow!
- Summerly Slope
- Mad-Paced Getter
- XY&Z
- Future Connection

My favorites (English)

- Pokémon Theme
- Pokémon Johto
- I Wanna Be a Hero
- Unbeatable
- Battle Frontier (English)
- We Will Bem Heroes
- Battle Cry (Stand Up!)
- It's Always You and Me
- Pokémon Theme (XY)
- Be a Hero
- Under the Alolan Moon

1. The original MPM - none of the remixes have done it any justice - you can't make a classic better!

The '98 (Movie 1) version is best IMO. The Pokemon voices, the smooth yet energetic solo, Akira Jimbo on drums. It's damn near perfect.

Mine's a tie between Unbeatable and Battle Frontier (Japanese). If you want my full rankings:

Mesaze Pokémon Master > Pokémon Theme
Rivals < Pokémon World
OK! > Pokémon Johto
Mesaze Pokémon Master (Whiteberry Version) > Born to Be a Winner
Ready Go! > Believe in Me (Which I always get confused with Born to Be a Winner)

Advance Adventure > I Wanna Be a Hero
Challenger!! > This Dream
Battle Frontier (Japanese) = Unbeatable > Pokémon Symphonic Medley
Spurt! < Battle Frontier (English)

We Will Be Heroes > Together > Diamond & Pearl (My nostalgia belongs to We Will Be Heroes, but Together makes me feel nostalgic for someone else's childhood)
Battle Cry (Stand Up!) > High Touch!
Saikou - Everyday! = We Will Carry On (The former has more energy, but the latter has better lyrics)

Best Wishes! > Rival Destinies > Black and White (The former makes me want to cry tears of joy for some reason, and I think it'd go well with Gates to Infinity. Also, I find it mildly amusing that a movie starring the guy who voices Edward Elric has an opening song containing the lyrics "you're my right arm". Unpopular opinion: I kinda like the song Rival Destinies. I watched Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice partially because of the Porygon cameo, so that song gave me a weird sense of relief.)
Yajirushi ni Natte! (both versions) > Summerly Slope > It's Always You and Me (which sounds WAY to similar to Rival Destinies)

V (Volt) > Mega V (Mega Volt) > Pokémon Theme (Version XY)
Getter Banban > Be a Hero
XY&Z > Stand Tall

...And I've barely listened to any of the Sun & Moon themes; I've never heard Under the Alolan Moon and I can barely remember the rest.

The extensive list no one asked for!

Original Series:
Best: Mezase Pokemon Master
OK!
The Rivals
Mezase Whiteberry
Worst: Ready Go
Best dub: Pokemon Johto
Worst dub: Pokemon World (Orange Islands)

Advanced Generation:
Best: Battle Frontier
Spurt
Advance Adventure
Symphonic Medley
Worst: Challenger
Best dub: Advanced Challenge
Worst dub: Battle Frontier

Diamond and Pearl:
Best: The Greatest Everyday
Together
Worst: High Touch
Best dub: Battle Cry Stand Up (actually better than the Japanese openings this series tbh)
Worst dub: Diamond and Pearl rap

Best Wishes:
Best: Be an Arrow
Summerly Slope
Worst: Best Wishes
Best dub: Black and White
Worst dub: the rest tbh, they're all like the same song

XY:
Best: V (Volt)
Mad-Paced Getter
Worst: XYZ
Best dub: Be a Hero
Worst dub: Stand Tall

Sun&Moon:
Best: Alola
Mezase 20th Anniversary
Worst: Future Connection
Best dub: Under the Alolan Moon
Worst dub: Under the Alolan Sun

Top 5 are: Battle Frontier, Spurt, Mezase Pokemon Master, Alola, and Advance Adventure
Worst 5 are: High Touch, Ready Go, Together, The Greatest Everyday, and XYZ

Best dub: Battle Cry Stand Up (actually better than the Japanese openings this series tbh)
While Together makes me nostalgia for someone else's childhood, High Touch is cringey and Saikou - Everyday! has terrible lyrics.

Worst 5 are: High Touch, Ready Go, Together, The Greatest Everyday, and XYZ
You said earlier in the post that the worst DP opening was High Touch.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, Best Wishes! reminds me of Link by L'arc~en~Ciel for some reason.

Last edited:
Yeah, my worst 5 list goes absolute worst (High Touch) to 5th worst (XYZ, ie better than the other 4)

I find the Japanese opening theme and closing theme to be more appealing than the dub's opening theme. V Volt will always be better than the awful remix of the Pokemon Theme song in XY, Ash-Greninja's theme will always be better than Stand Tall, and I don't even remember the second XY theme.

Yeah, my worst 5 list goes absolute worst (High Touch)
Screenshot_2018-04-26-15-23-44-1.png
Why?

Well, I Will make a list of all themes (English and Japanese), from the best to the worst.

XY&Z
Getta Ban Ban
Future Connection
Battle Cry (Stand Up!)
Battle Frontier (Japanese)
OK!
Ain to Be a Pokémon Master (all)
The Greatest (Everyday)
Spurt!
Alola!!
V Volt (Mega V Volt too)
Battle Frontier (English)
Pokémon Theme (XY Version too)
Advanced Adventure
We Will Be Heroes
Summerly Slope
It's Always You and Me
Together
Be a Hero
Best Wishes
Challenger
Be an Arrow
I Wanna Be a Hero
Stand Tall
Born to Be a Hero
High Touch!
Ready Go!
Black & White
Pokémon Johto
Rival Destinies
Under the Alolan Moon
The Rivals
Pokémon World
Under the Alolan Sun
Pokémon Symphonic Melody
Diamond and Pearl

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom