• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your guys favorite anime only characters?

Reaction score
Sure a lot of people like characters that are featured in the games AND anime but what about ones that only appear in the anime? I’d like to hear about people’s favorites.

it’s kind of obvious but mine is Conway!
A55FA4D7-B36D-4DA9-8374-62D5CBBA9DCB.gif

Honestly, the anime-original characters have always been some of the ones I like the most. Lots of the anime rivals/side characters are great — Ritchie, Zoey, Paul, Horace, and Casey are a few of my favorites :)

I'd be remiss not to mention Ash and Tracey too. (And I guess Gary is based on a game character, but he's definitely a different character altogether from Blue so I'd say he counts as well.)

(welcome to the forums btw, it's nice to meet you! :bulbaWave: )

1. Max-very underrated, I liked his attitude and how he was used.
2. Stephan-Very funny and possibly the best battler of its series ( or maybe besides Cilan?).
3. Sawyer-A very smart character with a very interesting development
4. Harley-Hilarious
5. Goh-Relatable and enthusiastic.
6. Kryssa-That Psyduck episode was awesome.
7. Officer Jenny-Her personality is not always consistent for obvious reasons but she's always fun to see.

Honorable mentions: Kenny, Casey, Ritchie, Danika, Drew, Georgia, Delia, Tracey.

Drew and Harley! They were a pretty big reason as to why May's contest journey was as enjoyable as it was - her relationships with both of them, Drew especially, were so entertaining and quite honestly what I miss about AG the most.

Other than them, I also love Paul and Conway, and Tracey is a very underrated character and I will defend him with my life :p

Paul
  • Has a 3-2-1 record against Ash
  • Has battled Ash a total of 8 times (9 if you count the Pokeringer Competition)
  • Sent Team Rocket Blasting Off single-handedly
  • Released pokemon in early DP
  • Gave away his Azumarill to a younger trainer after a poor performance
  • Roasted Ash multiple times
  • Roasted Dawn
  • Roasted Gym Leader Maylene
  • Raised and trained a plethora of powerhouses
  • Swept two trainers (which includes Barry) 3-0 in the preliminary rounds of the Sinnoh League before facing Ash
  • One of the smartest and most skilled trainers alongside Cynthia,Diantha,Conway and Katie.

Last edited:
Nando's always been a favorite of mine; I don't know that I have a particularly good reason for it, I just think he has a fun vibe and will always be disappointed by the fact that they never really did much with him. Also Zoey and Miette jump to mind, they were always fun rivals as well. And Sawyer's cool also. There are others but those are the first few I think of.

Excluding movie characters and characters-of-the-day (and presumably people like Ash and Gary), because otherwise I’d be here all day, haha:

Todd Snap: More so conceptually than on his own merits as an actual character, being that he’s a photographer (a very interesting occupation in the Pokémon world). Nonetheless, he served as a nice rep to Pokémon Snap while, as far as I remember from so long ago, being at least somewhat entertaining.
Tracey: While he has the personality of a slice of white bread compared to pretty much every other male traveling companion, I can always appreciate characters in this franchise have different interests from the typical battle and contest stuff. Pokémon Watching deserves to be elaborated on so much more than what we got in the Orange Islands, but then everything about Tracey kind of got done dirty there, including his very conception, arguably. Poor guy! At least he has his unique connection to Professor Oak and his, um… something with Misty’s sister Daisy to redeem him somewhat.
Casey: Apparently, people have compared her to a female version of Ash (not just because she has his original dub name, apparently!). Except that even he isn’t crazy enough to stan something like a baseball team like she so lovingly does here, haha. Annoying moments related to that aside, she’s absolutely adorable and a mostly solid semi-rival for Ash.
Max: Not actually really one of my favorite characters, but I appreciate him more than most others seem to. He can be annoying and obnoxious with his know-it-all personality, yes, but at the same time, he’s just a kid! (Although admittedly, so is another certain very young traveling companion). I can give him some grace there because I imagine that his intelligence might’ve isolated him from a lot of his peers who saw him as just as annoying as some of us do. People like Ash and May are very important in his life, I’d imagine (even as he annoys the latter a lot; not that she’s any better a lot of the time, though!). Meanwhile, the Jirachi movie humanizes him a lot, showing his more sympathetic (and even heroic!) side while, again, still acting like the kid that he is. Bonnie is ultimately a better version of him, but I can still respect the original!
Bonnie: Basically Max, except nicer and less obnoxious. It helps that she really feels like a little kid, and that we get to see her be a friendly, if realistic (that is, occasionally bratty) younger sibling to Clemont more so than we saw Max be one to May (he seemed to enjoy bickering a lot with her instead). Her relationship with Squishy and the developments that come with him are also very flattering to her character, I think. I can only imagine what she’ll be like when she becomes a trainer!
Amelia: Her personality begins and ends with her insufferable smugness, but at least she actually got one, unlike most of the other performers! This is a bit of a cheat considering that she only appeared once, but in some alternate universe where Showcases were better written, she could’ve been a solid “mean” rival for Serena in the grand tradition of people like Harley and Ursula. Such massively wasted potential there!
Chloe: For being the complete and utter antithesis to Ash and Goh that we all needed, haha. Sadly, Journeys seems to disagree with her, and has instead kind of left her out to dry; pity. At least in the beginning, anyway. I have yet to watch Journeys in its entirety, so I have yet to see how, or even if, her personality changes as the series goes on.

EDIT: A few more that I forgot to add!

Delia Ketchum: The Entei movie says a lot about the kind of woman that Delia really is, elevating her beautifully as more than just “Ash’s mom”. Even after being kidnapped, she does everything she can to make Molly reasonably comfortable, even knowing that she’s responsible for said kidnapping. Sure, Molly is only five (and is all kinds of messed up for her age), but Delia could’ve easily resented her anyway and treated her badly, but she didn’t, because she’s mother material through and through; a kind and loving protector, yet firm when necessary. Speaking of that, she also gets serious kudos for briefly facing down Entei himself and telling them pretty much exactly what they needed to hear, which doesn’t seem too far removed from something that Ash would do, doesn’t it? She really is his mother, haha! I can only imagine the kinds of adventures that she might have had in her own younger days…
Aria: Simultaneously unattainable yet surprisingly and wonderfully grounded, her focus episode with Serena really flatters her as someone who certainly appreciates her fame but, beyond said fame, is simply just another girl at heart, not unlike Serena herself. It’s kind of a shame how the series doesn’t really capitalize on that thread besides what’s revealed about her relationship with Palermo, and her relationship with Showcases — given all of their problems — is arguably questionable and worthy of some serious analysis and discussion along with Showcases themselves. Nonetheless, she was probably the best example of a “final boss” up to that point in the series.
Palermo: This lady just does not give a damn, haha, and I kind of like characters like that (it’s probably no small reason why I also enjoy watching Chloe). It all makes her appear to be almost antagonistic to the idea of Showcases, which is interesting in a nearly kind of “meta” way given how much I disappointed by them in XY. It’s like she agreed with me! Maybe (Aria). It’s also kind of funny how she gets more forward momentum as a character than most of Serena’s rivals, haha.

Last edited:
It's interesting to think about this, because as I was going through my own list I realized some characters are actually from the games, even though I really strongly associate them with the anime (Bonnie and Sakura - who I had written a blurb about only to delete it when I remembered - are good examples of this). I don't want to try to rank, so I'll just list chronologically. I also decided to limit it to characters that appeared more than once, I could have put quite a few COTDs that I liked on here...

-Meowth - surprised no one has picked Meowth yet, one of the most iconic characters in history and has a lot of amazing focus episodes and moments across the entire emotional spectrum, especially early on.
-Duplica - probably loosely based on copycat from Saffron, but different enough, I just really enjoyed her personality as well as the obvious fun she could have dressing up and using Ditto
-Tracey - Tracey was actually quite interesting, the watcher idea was fun, and mostly he always reminds me of one of my favorite arcs (OI)
-Casey - first trainer to use my favorite Pokemon, she also loves my favorite sport, she can be a bit over the top, but overall a really fun character
-Harley - I have grown to appreciate him more over time, he is generally hilarious, even if he is mean to my favorite character
-Morrison - It was fun to watch him compete with Ash over everything, and the league issue was just an interesting twist, overall a fun character
Angie - Her general vibe with Ash was interesting, and I liked her spirit/personality
Ursula - Not as effectively portrayed as Harley, but she still was a really fun antagonist rival for Dawn
-Luke - this is probably mostly my love for his Zorua, but he was an interesting character that had a unique goal that still surrounded Pokemon
-Mairin - Really cute personality, enjoyed her interactions with Alain and kind of changing how he acted, as well as her eventual insertion to the main series

Giselle, Casey, Drew, Harley, Lila, Ursula, Sawyer, Alain, Mairin, Goh, Koharu, Horace.

EDIT: Burgundy and Georgia, how can I forgot them.

Last edited:
Paul, Sawyer, Alain and Goh. I think each of them are unique in their personality and role in the story. They’re all complex characters and have reasonably satisfying development for the most part. The first 3 were great rivals to Ash whilst Goh was an enjoyable companion for me

My absolute favorite character is James!!!

He’s a “villain" but it's a role he plays. He boasts in front of 10-year-old kids but has extremely low self-worth. He is very kind towards those he loves, always ready to put others before himself and not hesitating to endure pain or humiliation for the sake of others' interests before his own.

He is very sensitive, very emotional, a manchild, cute and handsome.

He's generally easily afraid and seems cowardly but when he is pushed by adrenaline, when his friends or Pokemon are in danger, he's capable of incredible feats.

He doesn't like big dance parties, he doesn't like to be the center of attention himself, he doesn't want to be pushed to the forefront, (in contrast to Jessie) and yet ….he's a great speaker!, an outstanding artist!!!, a great Pokemon trainer!!!; he really shines when he's in the spotlight!!!... (Party danscapade, Dressed for Jess success, A faux oak finish, The battlefield of truth and love)

James has many talents of which he's not aware! He's so emotional that when he admires someone else's achievements, he doesn't hesitate to shout his admiration, even though he's the calmest one on his team: he is the bookworm, the geek, the computer whiz, and the one who takes on the role of "only-sane-man" most of the time (when it is not the case, psychologically he would be of great interest to psychiatrists). XD ^_^

James is a character full of surprises and mysteries.

He clearly retains a trauma related to the excessively rigid education and physical & psychological abuse he suffered in his childhood, despite the fact that he was a wealthy little boy materially spoiled (*Source: “Holly matrimony”, “Sweet baby James”, “Mending a broken spirit). And that's what makes him the eccentric and troubled multi-faceted adult he is today. He is truly one of the most complex and misunderstood character in Pokémon."

Last edited:
Unexpected, but my personal favorites lie in the one off characters.

Potter - A friendly helper kind of guy in the anime. You don't see much of him, but he is absolutely a favorite of mine.
Latoya Parker - cool lady with a silly dad who actually helps people!!
Isis - Stone cutters are cool and she's also one who goes through some development.
Haley - Her wish is to make Feebas beautiful without evolving- I love that a lot (I love Feebas too)

Not a one off character, but set as a replacement (a bit sad), it's Tracey!! This guy is undoubtedly intelligent, just watch the pink pokemon episode, you get a taste of his smarts. He's a bit of a fanboy, he loves to sketch, heck, he literally calls himself Tracey Sketchit!! I may usually dislike literal naming but that was a fun one (esp since its his full name)

Oh - I almost forgot, Virgil, rival sort of (?) but also a ranger. And Nando!! I really liked the guy and his musical concept!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom