• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your least favourite dungeon of each region?

Pidgeot

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What is your least favourite dungeon of each region in the main series games? Just in case you don't know, a dungeon is an area that isn't a settlement or a route, but is a cave, forest, hideout, etc.

Mine are:

Pokemon Mansion: Mainly because of the gimmick of the dungeon, which has you checking each statue so that some gates are shut but others are open, and then the next statue you check opens up the closed gates but closes the opened gates. And the fact that the only wild Pokemon are Raticate, Koffing and Grimer means you see the same Pokemon over and over again, and they get boring fast.

Mt. Mortar Because it's basically a huge maze, which means you either have to have map or just blindly guess where you go next and risk going in circles. To make things worse, they added another area in HGSS, so all in all, its a very confusing cave where you have to a map so that you know where you're going.

Sky Pillar Because the gimmick in this dungeon is that there are holes on every other floor, which means you need the Mach Bike to zoom over them. However, sometimes you need to be really fast so that you can turn the bike 90 degrees, and it could take up to 30 minutes to go through the whole dungeon; but of course, when you get Rayquaza it's all worth it.

Wayward Cave Why? Because it's a huge cave that you can easily get lost in, and you have to travel through the entire dungeon just so you can Mira so that she can heal up your Pokemon after each battle. Also, the bottom floor has bike puzzles, but has wild Pokemon as well, which can mess up your run on the bike puzzles. And that is annoying.

Relic Castle I hate this dungeon because there are quicksand pits that can you suck you in and send you to the floor below the current floor. What makes it annoying is that if you go too close to the quicksand pits, it will suck you in even if you don't want it to. And on one floor, there are several pits next to each other, which means you have to carefully walk around the sides of the pits.

Rock Tunnel
You go through it once, never to return. I can understand why it's in the game, but it's still dreadfully boring to go through it when you play through FireRed for the xth time (especially when you figure out that you've forgot to pick up Flash when you stand outside the cave...)

Dark Cave

I rarely venture in this cave unless I want to catch a Wobbuffet or something. (The music isn't really fitting, it's perfect in Ice Path but not here). Boring pokémon, boring layout, all in all dull and lifeless.

Granite Cave

What is this I don't even? On a more serious note, the only positive thing I can say about this place is that it is easy exp before the next gym. That's pretty much it.

Wayward Cave

Pretty much the same as NintendoGamer said (I don't really get lost in there, but I can see how some do).

Wellspring Cave

Why is this even here? I can't find any function whatsoever with this cave. Now, I don't really mind having geographical features, but you should at least use them if they're in the game... One encounter doesn't really make me want to return at all.

It's interesting how all your least favourite dungeons were caves.

Gen I - Pokemon Mansion

I absolutely hated going through it to get the key to Blaine's Gym when I was a kid, and I still do when I replay Gen I games.

Gen II - Mt. Mortar

I get lost there easily and it takes me a while to find my way if I don't have Repels.

Gen III - New Mauville

Voltorb, Magnemite, Voltorb, Magnemite, Voltorb, Magnemite. The only reason I go through this shit is to get the Thunderbolt TM from Wattson.

Gen IV - Wayward Cave

What is this I don't even....

Gen V - Mistralton Cave

Now, most dungeons in Unova were kinda fun, but this one needed Flash so yeah....

Gen I - Pokemon Mansion

Friggen Blaine locking his gym. This was an annoying place to go to with the constant need to flip switches, and every few steps always led me to another battle in it, it didn't help that I was too cheap to buy Repels.

Gen II - Dark Cave

Just a waste of time to me. As it was already said its a boring cave, with boring Pokemon.

Gen III - Shoal Cave

This just seems like a very pointless cave to me, as well as a waste of time, unless you want an Ice-type from this cave (Snorunt/Spheal) to evo for the E4

Gen IV - Wayward Cave

Its already been said how annoying this is.

Gen V - Mistralton Cave

Even if the reason is only because it needed Flash like Gato said.

It's interesting how all your least favourite dungeons were caves.

Yeah. Some "other" might be too gimmicky (the Mansion statue thingy was gimmicky, but it's a way more interesting place than a lot of other dungeons, which more than compensates for the statues. Not that it's too hard, it's just somewhat tedious).

I could make a pretty long list of dungeons I don't like, mostly because they're usually too short or doesn't add anything significant. I wish that generally routes and dungeons were bigger. Twist Mountain was okay (though in my opinion, they should have removed those doctors) and Mt. Coronet has a reasonable size for it's importance (Mt. Mortar is okay sized as well, but this is mostly because it doesn't play any role in the game).

Gen I - Rock Tunnel

Every single time I play through a Gen I game, I forget to pick the Flash HM up. Every single time. It's not like I don't know my way around there once I get inside, but it's just really, really annoying. It was even more annoying when I was trying to Nuzlocke my way through Leaf Green - I exited with my Primeape about 10 levels above everyone else.

Gen II - Dark Cave

Apart from the fact that you can find Tyrogue Wobbuffet and Dunsparce in there, it's pretty much pointless. And, again, I never have Flash when I want to actually look in there - I remember getting lost in there in Gold and not being able to find my way back out.

Gen III - Sky Pillar

God damn it. This thing isn't even that difficult to climb - it's one directing and the path is clearly shown - but it's just annoying. I think it took me an hour and a half to get up it when I tried to do it for the first time in Sapphire, and then my team was KO'd by Rayquaza at the top, so I had to do it all over again. Worth it, somewhat, because of the legendary at the top.

Gen IV - Mt. Coronet

Guys, Wayward Cave isn't even that difficult to get through - what the hell are you talking about? Mt. Coronet pissed me off more than anything, mostly because I was hideously underleveled while making my way up there. Even though it's integral to the storyline of the game, I just think it's stupid - too long for something that should be simple. I guess it has to be, though, as the point of that part of the game is to make your way to a sacred site at the top of a mountain. It would be less sacred if it was simple to get to.

Gen V - Twist Mountain

Ugh. I got lost in here the first time I played through Black, and it still annoys me now. Every time I tried to Nuzlocke through Black, this place stopped me, and it was also really annoying while I was trying to Solo run the game with a Watchog. And, also, I always try to get to that point of the game by Winter to get all of the items there because I am not going there afterwards. I will forever avoid it.

Last edited:
Gen I - Rock Tunnel

Every single time I play through a Gen I game, I forget to pick the Flash HM up. Every single time. It's not like I don't know my way around there once I get inside, but it's just really, really annoying. It was even more annoying when I was trying to Nuzlocke my way through Leaf Green - I exited with my Primeape about 10 levels above everyone else.

Gen II - Dark Cave

Apart from the fat that you can find Tyrogue and Dunsparce in there, it's pretty much pointless. And, again, I never have Flash when I want to actually look in there - I remember getting lost in there in Gold and not being able to find my way back out.

Gen III - Sky Pillar

God damn it. This thing isn't even that difficult to climb - it's one directing and the path is clearly shown - but it's just annoying. I think it took me an hour and a half to get up it when I tried to do it for the first time in Sapphire, and then my team was KO'd by Rayquaza at the top, so I had to do it all over again. Worth it, somewhat, because of the legendary at the top.

Gen IV - Mt. Coronet

Guys, Wayward Cave isn't even that difficult to get through - what the hell are you talking about? Mt. Coronet pissed me off more than anything, mostly because I was hideously underleveled while making my way up there. Even though it's integral to the storyline of the game, I just think it's stupid - too long for something that should be simple. I guess it has to be, though, as the point of that part of the game is to make your way to a sacred site at the top of a mountain. It would be less sacred if it was simple to get to.

Gen V - Twist Mountain

Ugh. I got lost in here the first time I played through Black, and it still annoys me now. Every time I tried to Nuzlocke through Black, this place stopped me, and it was also really annoying while I was trying to Solo run the game with a Watchog. And, also, I always try to get to that point of the game by Winter to get all of the items there because I am not going there afterwards. I will forever avoid it.

um, you don't get tyrogue in Dark Cave.

Rock tunnel.
Omygosh I'm blind! I forgot about flash for like 1000-time!
Dark cave.
Went there for Dunsprace.
Sky pillar
What an annoying place to meet Rayquaza.
Mt. Coronet
Always got lost.
Fifth gen dungeons are okay.

GEN 1: MT. MOON
Oh god, the legendary Mt. Moon. Since it appears so early in your adventure, you're likely so poor that you can't afford (or can't even obtain yet) a single repel, and since the encounter rate in the early games is so incredibly high, Zubat's cry will most likely be etched into your skull, and will forever be the soundtrack of your nightmares.

GEN 2: Ice Path
With many annoying ice block puzzles, useless Pokemon (at least in Gen 2 where you can't evolve Piloswine or Sneasel), and the reside of the infamous Delibird, the only thing good about this cave is its music.

GEN 3: Shoal Cave
Shoal Cave is annoying because you can only access some of the items during certain times of the day, and is also very annoying to track around.

GEN 4: Victory Road
HM Over-abuse Land. That is all.

GEN 5: Challenger's Cave
Another annoying cave that requires the use of Flash, Surf, and has a very low appearance of Riolu (aka the only reason you'd visit this cave). Thankfully, as stated before, it's optional; and that's another thing I like about Gen 5.

KANTO: Seafoam Islands. Apart from being the resting place of Articuno, it's useless. Especially considering that you can get to Cinnabar from Pallet.

JOHTO: Tojoh Falls. Really, I just wanna get to Victory Road. Why do I need to use a worthless HM to climb up a waterfall I'll never go up again?

HOENN: Cave of Origin. Whoop-dee-flippin'-doo, another place to fight 9,000,000 Golbats. And for what, just to battle Groudon/Kyogre? Why not do that in the Seafloor Cavern?

SINNOH: Old Chateau. Remind me, why'd we need to go there again?

UNOVA: Wellspring Cave. The 5th useless "dungeon" so far, the only time you need to be here is during that fight with Plasma. Remind me again why that issue couldn't be held in the grass adjacent to the cave?

Gen 1: Victory Road/Rock Tunnel
Gen 2: Victory Road
Gen 3: Victory Road/Cave of Origin
Gen 4: Victory Road
Gen 5: Probably Twist Mountain or Mistralton Cave

I really dislike dungeons that require an obscene use of HMs, especially Flash, and Victory Road is almost unanimously the biggest offender. Gen 5 wasn't too terrible about it though as TMs can now be used indefinitely (Thank god), but the fact that I still have to go to Mistralton city to forget an HM move still bugs me to no end.

Kanto: Rock Tunnel.
Urrgh...I have bad memories of Rock Tunnel.

Johto: Mt. Mortar
....need I explain?

Hoenn: Shoal Cave
No tide, you be how I want you to be!

Sinnoh: Victory Road
Too many HMs needed; restricts levelling 9.9

Unova: Chargestone Cave
The rarity of Tynamo and how frustrating this cave can be when I'm tired. Although Unova was pretty easy as a whole.

Kanto: Rock Tunnel. Flash caves are always annoying, because I noever want to teach any of my Pokemon Flash, and sometimes it takes forever to find a Pokemon that can learn it, and the tunnel itself is just SO annoying!
Johto: Dark Cave. Again, needing Flash is annoying, and you don't actually need to go in it, apart from to find specific Pokemon.
Hoenn: Rusturf Tunnel. Ooh, yay, it's the tunnel to the next place! Oops, wrong way, how can I get around those rocks? Ah, maybe it's that way. No? That way?
30 minutes later...
Aargh, how can I get through this stupid tunnel? WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T GET THROUGH?! It's a stupid tunnel!
Sinnoh: Mt. Coronet. I always get lost, then, just when I think 'ooh, this is an exit!! Finally!' it's just a way to get to the next part of the cave.
Isshu: Twist Mountain. WAY too many Boldore. And I was only a few days away from winter when I went in, and I didn't know about the freezing over.

Guys, Wayward Cave isn't even that difficult to get through - what the hell are you talking about?

Can you even mention one cave that's actually difficult to navigate? The only "difficult" thing is that you have to often resort to HMs, which gets just tedious.

However, my main problem with Wayward Cave is just that the cave itself is rather pointless. If it were actually physically linked with Mt. Coronet it would be better, but nothing really compels me to actually enter it. It's pointless.

Can you even mention one cave that's actually difficult to navigate? The only "difficult" thing is that you have to often resort to HMs, which gets just tedious.

However, my main problem with Wayward Cave is just that the cave itself is rather pointless. If it were actually physically linked with Mt. Coronet it would be better, but nothing really compels me to actually enter it. It's pointless.

I guess "difficult" was a bad word, sorry.

Sinnoh Victory road. And Victory road in HG/SS which is,beside the rival,empty. Too damn easy.

I guess "difficult" was a bad word, sorry.

Meh, not really. I'd say it's not really a hard cave to navigate in, if you run into trainers before you pick whatshername, you've done something wrong. However, I can accept that there are way more easily navigable caves in the games, and the layout can be somewhat confusing.

Kanto: Rock Tunnel. It can easilly become long and tedious if you are training the wrong types and monotonous otherwise. There's hardly any lore for the location except for the rare encounter of Cubone to keep it at least minimally interesting. I just hate the place.

Johto: I actually like most of Johto. I'm going to say the depths of Union Cave are quite lacking, but they aren't that bad.

Hoenn: Shoal Cave. It makes itself look interesting and stuff like if it had some secret in its depth... but outside of Snorunt and a bunch of items it is pointless.

Sinnoh: Meh.

Unova: Twist Mountain. Basically a mandatory Shoal Cave.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom