• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your least favourite dungeon of each region?

Gen 1-Pokemon Mansion
Annoying wild pokemon and a stupid gimmick.

Gen 2-Dark Cave
I just hate Flash. Its a waste of a move.

Gen 3-Sky Pillar
Another stupid gimmicky dungeon. Even having the bike doesn't guarantee automatic sucess. It can take a while to get the turns down, but the prize at the end balances it all out.

Gen 4-Victory Road
Far too many Hm's needed to get through it. How does that test your pokemon?

Gen 5-Mistralton Cave
Needed Flash :p

Kanto: Rock Tunnel. The only thing I liked about this place was being able to catch Onix (when I was 6) & the girl who implies you sexually harassed her regardless of gender. Otherwise, this tunnel can take HM05 & shove it.

Johto: aside from getting Tyrogue & catching Marrill, this place was pointless. just pointless.

Hoenn: Shoal Cave. tides? you're screwed once you hit max time? wonderful.

Sinnoh: Victory Road. damn place speaks for itsself

Unova: Wellspring Cave. for reasons mentioned in previous posts.

Gen I: Rock Tunnel, Mt. Moon

I have nothing against these caves, it's them Zubat I hate.

Gen II: Dark Cave, Mt. Mortar

What were the point of these caves?

Gen III: Scorched Slab

Imagine the joy when I entered this cave. (for those who can't remember what or where this place is; it's a cave in the middle of the lake on Route 120)

Gen IV: Wayward Cave

I think Wayward cave has won the award for least liked.....

Gen V: Wellspring Cave, Challengers Cave

Pointless caves with no real purpose.

Gen I: Rock Tunnel

At least Mt. Moon gave us the introduction of glorious Team Rocket, Rock Tunnel was just tedious.

Gen II: Mt. Mortar, Dark Cave, Victory Road

Should have added trainers to Victory Road in the remakes imo. Sinnoh had a route full of trainers before hand and they still did. Same reasons as others have said for Mt. Mortar/Dark Cave.

Gen III: Sky Pillar

Going up to catch Rayquaza/awaken Rayquaza was good but it was just a glorified cave with holes in it requiring the Mach Bike. Hoping the remakes can spice it up a bit and make going to the top to reach something as great as Rayquaza more epic.

Gen IV: Victory Road

Victory Road just felt like a tedious HM checklist to me. Compounded by ascending the fantastic Mt. Coronet and in Platinum the Distortion World as well not long before hand.

Gen V:

Wellspring Cave, for reasons mentioned. Early chance to catch Drilbur I suppose...

The Silph co building is probably the place I got lost in the most when I first played RBY. Warps, stairs, key card doors, ayeeeeiiih! It was the only place where I EVER ran out of PP due to running in circles so much. It's probably the place I had the most fun in when I got back to it, though.

i really didn't enjoy the ice cave place in the original silver as a child xD that place sucked when i was like... 8
that and getting the stupid sage in the chargestone cave was frustrating.....at least for me

Gen 1 - Rock Tunnel. Doesn't seem so bad nowadays, but it drove me crazy years back. I hate to use Flash as well, especially as it was a useless move you could never replace.

Gen 2 - Mt. Mortar. Without a doubt my least favourite cave in the entire series. When the Karate King wouldn't give me Tyrogue because I had no empty space in my team, I wanted to cry.

Gen 3 - Hm, nothing too bad here. Guess Hoenn's Victory Road was a little tedious, especially with the darker rooms.

Gen 4 - Once again, nothing too bad. The ascent up Mt. Coronet probably. I was fed up with the Galactic Grunts at this point, and just wanted to get to the top. (The events at Spear Pillar itself didn't disappoint, however)

Gen 5 - Challenger's Cave. What a disappointment. I was expecting a legendary Pokemon, not Boldore and friends once more. Veteran Shaun was pretty tough. He gave me way more trouble than any of the Gym Leaders.

Last edited:
Ice Path and the Abyssal Ruins were just about the only ones that gave me fits. (Mt. Mortar is an honorable mention.)

Kanto: Rock Tunnel, it is just too bland.
Johto: Mt. Mortar, it is really confusing, and even its upper floors tend to have unevolved Pokemon like Machop, making it useless for grinding.
Hoenn: I guess Magma/Aqua Hideouts, I just really dislike the music and the fact there aren't that many Grunts.
Sinnoh: Stark Mountain, the music is grating, and it has a confusing layout. I love Mt. Coronet, though.
Unova: Twist Mountain (don't like the layout and music, and it is too easy to navigate in winter).
I've never played Kalos and Alola games, so I can't say anything about their dungeons.

Necrozma’d thread right here yo

Kanto: The Power Plant. It’s a really repetitive tileset with really repetitive and tedious encounters, and the only real reason to go there is to get Zapdos (and Electabuzz in Red).

Johto: Nah, these ones are all pretty good. Boring answer, but I’ll say Victory Road. I know that the routes leading up to it are “technically” Johto’s Victory Road, but that doesn’t mean the actual Victory Road is any less boring. It’s a shame too, because the music for it is spectacular.

Hoenn: I’ve never been much a fan of the Seafloor Cavern. While I like the idea of finding a super-ancient Legendary Pokémon deep in an underwater trench, you need four HMs to get through the place, and it bothers me quite a bit that the geography of it “cheats” so that some paths warp you back to the entrance, even though that’s clearly not how the cave is laid out. I like my dungeons to be physically consistent.

Sinnoh: While the Victory Road in this game is complete rubbish (as is its music), it at least has that neat post-game area where you team up with Marley and get access to the bonus Route 224. No, the real worst of the worst for me in Sinnoh is Wayward Cave. The audacity of the secret Gible room is amusing, but the “main” part of the dungeon is just miserably bland, and way too big for something with so little to offer.

Unova: As much as I love Unova as a whole, I’ve never really liked going through the Relic Castle. It’s kinda just a lazy copy of Turnback Cave (a dungeon mechanic I was already annoyed by), and so it doesn’t look or feel very interesting as you go through it. That being said, the part of it that you go through during the main game, with the quicksand pits, is a lot better.

Kalos: Ah, I actually like all of the “proper” dungeons in Kalos, and picking something like the Chamber of Emptiness would be kind of meaningless since it’s not even trying to be one in the first place. In lieu of picking any of the real dungeons, can I say the Pokémon Village? Just, something about the place rubs me the wrong way. I’m not sure I can put my finger on it exactly... I strongly dislike the music, for one thing, which is a rare occurrence for me when it comes to Pokémon music. For another, a “Pokémon Village” is an idea that I think could be really interesting to see, giving us a look at how a Pokémon community might behave in the absence of humans. But what it manifests as in the game is just a field of yellow flowers, some garbage bins, and two or three huts providing shade to some Snorlax. Not to mention that Mewtwo is just... there, without any clear reason to be, and Mewtwo’s Mega Evolutions were already one of the most underexplored ideas in XY, which as a result sort of ends up compounding onto the Village’s issues. You take an already underdeveloped concept and put it into an underdeveloped area, and it really makes you feel like there was supposed to be something more there.

Alola: lol what dungeons?

Kanto: Mt. Moon, Rock Tunnel, and Victory Road. Moving those boulders stunk like cow dung.

Johto: ehhh, I didn't mind this game as much, but the Ice Path was kind of annoying. And in Crystal, that stupid post-Clair gym battle puzzle thingy was annoying. The Dratini gift was cool though.

Gen 3 Hoen: I didn't mind the dungeons in this game much either, but using dive to access Sootopolis City was kinda awkward in 2D.

Gen 4: Any of the dungeons to get from side of Sinnoh to the otherside was for the birds. Too many dang HM's, and defog.. wtf?

Gen 5: mmmmmm I think the dungeon in the desert, I cannot remember what it's called.

Gen 6: the dungeons here were pretty easy. Glittering Cave only blows because the only challenging trainers (for me anywhere), are located in this dungeon.

Gen I - The Cerulean Cave: No matter how many times I play through Yellow or FireRed, I always get lost here. I forgot about the Silph Co. building. That was the hardest part of the game.
Gen II - Mt. Mortar: Whoever though that map was a good idea should get fired.
Gen III - Seafloor Cavern: Although my hate for it has diminished, I still find frustrating the fact that there are doors that brings you outside.
Gen IV - The Veilstone Galactic Building. I used to find the place confusing, but now I see that it actually was straightforward and that there was no way I could get lost.
Gen V - None that I can remember. Also forgot about Twist Mountain, specially since you need to change the clock to be able to fight everyone.
Gen VI - Since I don't want to erase my file and I can't play XY on Citra, I can't remember anything about that game.
Gen VII - Mt. Lanakila (USUM): Playing using only one Pokémon is hard, and this place had Trainers that were a pain to defeat. Specially those pairs of Black Belts.

Last edited:
I can barely remember any of the dungeons in Pokemon games, but if there is any place involving warp tiles, I always dislike it intensely. Such as Silph Co. Or those tiles that make you spin, like in the Rocket Hideout.

Oh and of course, the classic ice sliding physics present in the Ice Path and far too many other games still baffle and annoy me to this day. I tend to just say "Screw it." and pull out a walkthrough during such moments. Yes, I'm not really the puzzle type.

I can also recall Mt. Silver in the Gen II remakes requiring more HMs and being an annoying hassle. Why do I need Rock Climb to get to Red? I have to saddle my Pokémon with such useless moves before facing the game's strongest trainer.

Can't really recall the dungeons in newer games though. I haven't played through Hoenn or Sinnoh much and after that point, they kind of removed a lot of the tediousness present in them.

Last edited:
Gen I: Believe it or not, I can tolerate Rock Tunnel and Victory Road, as well as Flash, so that puts me in bit of a minority here. I've actually navigated Rock Tunnel without Flash and got through it okay. For me, it was Silph Co. I can't count how many times I got lost there. Back then, warp tiles were something I could not figure out, and I always ended up in the wrong place. Even with a guide I often take wrong turns or end up going around in circles, so Silph Co is not my place and I will never go through it again.

Gen II: Mt. Mortar. Whoever thought that place was a good idea should be fired. And the fact you have to trek so deep into just to get the Tyrogue from that black belt was a pain. It's even worse in the remakes, where it's become a lot more HM happy and needs Rock Climb to fully navigate, which you can't even get until after you get all 16 badges. Mt. Silver also joins the ranks in the remakes due to the heavy HM need.

Gen III: Hoenn didn't really have a lot of dungeons that bothered me. Victory Road is probably the only one, but even then it was tolerable. Though whenever Rock Smash, which was extremely pathetic at the time, was mandatory for progression, then I'd be quite a bit miffed. At least the remakes did better there, making Hoenn the most tolerable region for dungeons around.

Gen IV: Mt Coronet, hands down. That place is so HM happy it's insane. Every time you had to go in there, you needed a new HM. Whether it be Rock Smash, Strength, Defog, or Rock Climb, it always had some way of annoying you. At least the climax event at Spear Pillar partly makes up for it, especially in Platinum.

Gen V: Like Hoenn, Unova didn't really have too many places that gave me trouble, especially since the region was pretty HM friendly. Maybe the only place I had trouble was Castella Sewers, since the season bit always changed things around and I could never properly navigate those damn drain pipes to get to the center field. But other than that, Unova was pretty decent in the dungeon department.

Gen VI: Reflection Cave. Not only were there decently strong trainers in there, but the encounter rate was insane. I couldn't go 3 steps without running into something. I know that Flash, which you got in that cave, would reduce the encounters, but it was hardly worth editing my moves for. The place is straightforward enough, but the encounter rate is what really gets you.

Gen VII: Haina Desert. That place is a nightmare to navigate, even with a guide. Not only can the same direction take you to two, sometimes three, different places, but the encounter rate was brutal. I must've gotten lost at least a dozen times in that place just trying to find the Z-Crystal there, let alone the ruins. Even with a guide it's insanely easy to get lost there, combined with the high encounter rate made that place a sand-filled death trap.

Gen I: Rock Tunnel
Easily the worst out of all these examples. You need to waste a moveslot on crappy Flash, it's very long, and there's no place to heal. It feels like every trainer in the case uses the same few Pokemon, making it a very boring romp. At least Silph had some puzzle to it, had some good fights, got you a Lapras and pushed the plot forward. Rock Tunnel is a long, tedious grind all-around, and it's the one area of Kanto that I truly dread.

Gen II:Dark Cave
There's just nothing of interest here. I almost never explore it.

Gen III: Seafloor Cavern
At least the maze aspect is actually hard, and I liked the Strength puzzles, too. But between having to sneak around, going through so many rooms without knowing if you're making progress, and Pokemon constantly interrupting you sneaking around and puzzle-solving, it gets annoying. Still, I'd rather explore it three times before even looking at Rock Tunnel or Mt. Coronet.

Gen IV: Mt. Coronet
I hate this place. I hate having to use all these HMs. I hate climbing to the top. It's not a complex puzzle. but it's so dull and the landscapes are boring. Plus, it's hell if you need to heal, but don't want to waste healing items just in case you need them later. (Even though you'd never use them anyway.)

Gen V: Victory Road (BW), Abyssal Ruins
I liked how we didn't need HMs to explore this place, but it was kind of disappointing. After seeing a cave with floating rocks, ancient ruins, and a lot of other interesting locations, you get what essentially feels like a regular cave. BW2 made huge improvements by having different areas mixed in, including a forest.

The Abyssal Ruins are super interesting, but the time/step limit means you can never explore the place at your own leisure, and you have to worry about planning ahead and collecting things instead of enjoying things. Usually, I don't even bother visiting these ruins.

Gen VI: Route 13
Since I'm replaying Y now, this route's horrors are fresh in my mind. you have strong winds that make movement very slow and limit your use of skates or your bike. Dugtrio continually pop up and trap you into battles with Arena Trap. (Though since I always lead with Noibat/Noivern, this isn't so much of a problem with me.) The landscape is boring, and navigating it is next to impossible while the winds are still blowing.

Gen VII: Vast Poni Canyon
It's pretty straightforward, and there's not a lot to do. I mean, the giant tree is interesting, and I like how strong the trainers are. But it feels so small and shallow, despite feeling like it takes forever to explore it. It's just a dull trek.

So yeah. I'd say my least favorite dungeons are the ones that are visually dull, require a lot of HMs, and don't offer much in the way of gameplay.

Tips for Silph Co. (AKA How not to go crazy and want to murder whoever designed that hellish place):

3F: Here's the warp you need to get to Blue and Giovanni. Requieres Key Card.

5F: Here's the Key Card.

9F: Here are the beds that allow you to heal your Pokémon.

11F: Here's the TM for Earthquake in Gen I.

You're welcome.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom