• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your Longest Drought?

I haven't picked up any of the games in months. I think that has more to do with me being overwhelmed with Grad School than anything. The longest drought I'd say is probably Gen IV to Gen VI, I didn't play any of the games in that period.

I usually have a set back after the first 3 months since after a series release, just by being fatigued and being busy with other stuff. My longest drought is probably this one, since USUM was such a major letdown for me, I haven't picked it up in a year and only recently looked into it because I had to renew my Pokebank subscription. It did made me start a new game of Platinum so it was probably good for something.

I went through a massive Pokémon burnout in 2017 because I realised that my pet peeves would never be fixed, r/pokemon taught me that discussion of the franchise blends together after a while, Ultra Sun & Moon seemed like a cash grab, I realised that most PokéTubers regurgitated the same few factoids for clickbait, and I was finding it hard to form my own opinions because I knew pretty much everything about the franchise due to reading too much Bulbapedia, so there were no surprises. With the announcement of Sword and Shield, I'm going through another burnout because mainline Pokémon speculation is ALL THE SAME.

Last edited:
I skipped BW but came back for BW2 (I still played gen 4 until BW2). I haven't played beyond getting attacked by Spearow in US yet cos I find gen 7 so unbearable (I've beaten og Sun) and I hear USUM gets worse. X and Alpha Sapphire are the first since Ruby where I didn't stick around long after beating story, there's just no engaging replayablity like Emerald, gen 1, 2, 4 and 5 had.
After being disappointed with Gen 6, I honestly nearly skipped Sun and I only got Ultra Sun for practicing Japanese, which I found had too much forced dialogue for my pace and switched to gen 1 (which has the bonus of allowing me to play on my workstation via Stadium + capture card) for that task.

Let's see...between the release of Pokémon Gold/Silver (2000) to around the release of Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (2002). I didn't bother to get Crystal.

Ok, I'm a serious wierdo.....I'm 50 years old and started playing Pokemon 2 years ago. I always thought they were kiddie games when they started 20 years ago, so I never got into them. Then one day 2 years ago, I grabbed up a mint condition copy of Pokemon Platinum because I heard it was a good one. OMG! I don't know what happened, but I got TOTALLY SUCKED INTO THE SERIES!
So, fast forward these past 2 years as I have gobbled up everything I could get my hands on from Gen 3 to now Gen 7. And I haven't had a break that whole time......playing whenever I get the chance. I gotta say.......I wish I would have been able to play Gen 3 on GBA-SP.....that would have been awesome (had to use a download). My favorites are the DS generations as I just love that handheld too......like it better than the 3DS which feels too cumbersome and heavier.

I think I need to take a little break though.....I can tell I am getting a little oversaturated on Pokemon these past weeks and feeling a little burned out.

I took two hiatuses from the series. Once was during the release of DPPt which was when peers in my age group were all about Pokemon not being cool anymore. I got back into the series with HGSS and BW, but then took a second hiatus with the release of B2W2 up to the release of Pokemon GO

From a few weeks after ruby/sapphire came out to a few months before heart gold/soul silver were released. I never finished Ruby or Sapphire and didn't really hop back into playing pokemon games until I heard about the remakes that were newly coming out in the near future at the time. I've been an active player on and off ever since. I just really love pokemon.

I stopped playing Pokemon after G/S/C until the release of Platinum, basically skipping out on the entirety of Gen 3 and start of Gen 4.

Hmm. I would say the period between Gen V and Gen VI was when I had the longest "drought" period. Gen V did not sit with me well for some reason so I kinda just ignored it until Gen VI came out.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom