• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your most disliked character in the Pokemon Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That fucking Pichu. She was't entertaining, her ending sucked, and she was mad annoying in the movie.
+ Shoko Nakagawa. Grrr.

Dammit, and I thought I wasn't filled with hate, but I had just forgotten these vermins. Togepi and Gizamimi were really annoying and way too cute to be actually cute for my taste. At least the former would've made a good omelette. Yum yum.

Humans:CILAN, Cress, Chili, Misty, Delia, Macey, Bianca, Vincent/Jackson, Harrison, Tyson, Morrison, TROLLBIAS, Caroline, Norman, Fantina, Barry, Professor Birch, Professor Elm, Professor Rowan, Kenny, Zoey, MAY, Drew, and Kevin(M12).

Pokémon-Dawn's Quilava, Brock's Crobat, Misty's Goldeen, May's entire team except Munchlax and Skitty, and the Marill from the ANA Specials.

Dangoro. I hate everything, the english name (cheesy as hell), and it sounds and looks like an asshole. It'd better evolve or I'll hate that jumping annoying thing forever.

For the human characters, I would definitely have to go with Iris, for reasons I've explained several times. Kasumi is right up there too.

For the Pokémon, Haruka's Zenigame closely followed by Kasumi's Togepi, Satoshi's Heigani and Dangoro, and Iris' Kibago, Doryuuzu and Emonga.

So much hate in my soul, so many characters in this series to spread the hate on...

So, Pokemon. Piplup is at the top of my hate list. I used to like it because it displayed an actual, consistent personality (something May's starter lacked), but that personality was not an endearing one at all. Its character development was wrapped up pretty swiftly, was pimped to hell and back because everybody loves penguins (Piplup doesn't deserve to be a fucking penguin), had THE worst dub voice ever (and even its Japanese voice was grating when it spent SEVERAL UNINTERRUPTED SECONDS BAWLING), and in general was just a highlight-hogging little cock. Piplup was probably the main reason I didn't take Dawn leaving hard at all. Anything to get that little shit off the screen, stop it from doing pointless bullshit... though at the very least it wasn't learning ultra-powerful DEM moves way too early on to justify winning a battle, so I'll give Piplup that much, at least. But it's far from being enough to make up for what a little fucker it's been and how the time focused on it could've made DP even better.

Misty's Togepi was boring as shit and I totally believe in Pokemopolis' theory that it sucked away Misty's life force and made her little more than a dry husk useful for little more than sentient wallpaper. Sure, arguably one can say it had a point in making Misty "mature" (i.e. become horrendously boring), but that's not a point in my book. That's a crime.

Ash's Pikachu... it's on and off at times. I really don't like it in BW and I didn't like it in earlier series, but I was totally okay with the yellow rat in DP. The less screentime it gets (i.e. the more it's treated as an equal among the cast), the more bearable it becomes. Sadly I think the opposite is true more often than not.

And then the human characters! Does it go without saying that Iris is my least-favorite human character of the entire show? Yes, it does. When it gets to the point that Iris' behavior makes me appreciate Misty, then it is bad. It is horrendous. I have not had a problem with cast changes in the past, yet Iris still bothers me in that I still question why she should be, or even need to be in this group. The anime really hammered the point home that Iris is a special snowflake and has become as such by screwing all the rules of standard protagonist character development, and naturally there's no justification for any of this. This is coming from someone who was really looking forward to seeing her in action before BW aired, mind you, as I got my hopes up that she'd be an awesome anime version of Sapphire from Special. And oh, how my hopes were dashed.

Yeah, I'm fully aware that Iris' "playful teasing" (I prefer to call it "hypocritical douchebaggery", but eh, to-may-to, to-mah-to~) is meant to be ironic because Iris herself is certainly no more mature than Ash, but the problem is that it just isn't entertaining. I like conflict as much as the next person, but when it's overdone the way it is, sparked by something minor that doesn't warrant Iris' nitpicking to begin with, and the "playful bickering" itself is short-lived and ultimately served no purpose other than to fill time, then they aren't doing it right. And they have no excuse to not do it right because the writers HAVE done conflicts write many times before.

So beyond that, honestly, I feel nothing for Iris and this goal she aspires for. She doesn't struggle, she doesn't learn anything new; the anime pretty much outright shows you that Iris has ALL the mannerisms of a Dragon Master down pat already. Combine that with her special abilities, and you pretty much have a prodigy kid (who didn't act like it for the first 30ish episodes for no adequately explained reason) who has absolutely nothing to learn from Ash or Cilan and can survive well enough on her own, hence why I wonder what the hell she's doing in this group. She often doesn't participate in significant events (even Team Rocket skirmishes), when things are amped up and about to be exciting, Iris has to butt in and kill the mood with unwarranted negative remarks and sadly no one tells her off, or in general Iris is generally immune from any flak that she should be getting for her craptastic personality. Her vine-swinging and tree climbing do nothing for me; they're basically just special effects in the sense that their only purpose is to wow you with how dynamic and amazing and wild she is. Only those are fleeting moments and the other 99% of the time she's dull and boring as fuck.

Seriously, who gets ridiculously powerful solely by self-training that apparently involves beating the shit out ofthe wildlife? How is that even okay? She's like the main reason I don't want BW to drag on for four years. It's been a little over a year and I'm already sick of her and want her to leave already. God. I could go on about how episode's plots will literally bend to her will to make her out like a goddamn saint, but I've done that many times before already. Suffice to say, she is the bane of the BW series for me. If I'm wondering more about how she'll fucking annoy me in the next episode than what the next episode will actually be about, there is a problem. She is a problem. Someone make her go away.

Kenny, Dawn's lameass childhood friend and even lamer-ass rival was probably like my least-favorite aspect of DP besides Piplup. He is just so painfully dull, inside and out. If he were merely a CotD, I'd probably have accepted him better, but he just adds nothing but stupid-ass boy teasing and stupider unrequited love that culminates in him thinking he has the authority to make Dawn go with him over a stupid bet in a battle. That's what turned Kenny from just boring to offensively boring. I'm glad he got kicked out early in the GF; that and the fact that he had to share his last episode with Flint and Jasmine at least reassured me that even the writers knew they made a mistake when they decided to make Kenny a recurring character/"rival". He's just way too boring to carry his own episode and he was best used as a punching bag. Admittedly the HeatTagshipper in me is what made me really want Kenny to DIAF. So strongly I wanted the nerd to win over the girl instead of the generic childhood friend devoid of any interesting or desirable traits. He also so did not deserve to own a Breloom. That fucker. That's one of my favorite Pokemon ever, wasted on that personality-challenged asscrap.

I hope he ended up going to an entirely different region (i.e. not Hoenn). He should just hook up with Dawn's really ugly female childhood friend that happens to look a lot like him and both of them can disappear into obscurity forever-like.

Then... Casey. I did not like her in the original series. I liked her even less in Chronicles. Her cheers were annoying as fuck and she was not rival material so fuck her. She just couldn't stop pimping Electabuzz. Because of her, I had to get all pissed off when a purple-haired character I actually liked pimped the same damn species relentlessly for years! It's all your fault, Casey! You baseball-loving freak!

And of course, Misty. I honestly didn't care for her even in the original series, but like I said before, the advent of Iris made me appreciate her a lot better. Even so, despite being a much more on-level character with justifications to give Ash flak, I just didn't care much for her. She wasn't that much of a tomboy, so I couldn't really relate to her, and I always hated whenever they tried to play up any sort of romance between her and Ash. They're great as friends, but I just really really did not like Pokeshipping, and to this day I still think it's awful. Pokeshipping's probably like 50% of the reason I don't like Misty, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one who was turned off that way. I also never liked her obsession with Water-types that much because I didn't like the idea of the series giving some types preferential screentime over the others. Sure, it made sense with Misty given her role in the games, but I feel like her behavior and mostly-unmemorable Pokemon was merely a prelude for what would become my hatred for Piplup. And even though Misty and Ash's bickering was way better and more entertaining than anything between Ash and Iris ever would be, I often tired of it. Another reason why I didn't think they'd make a good couple; I don't like the concept of Ash and Misty being in a relationship based on them bitching at each other back and forth. Over stupid crap.

So yeah. Misty just annoyed me more than anything, obviously not to the degree that Iris presently does, but it really opened my eyes the moment she was taken off the main cast and replaced with May... and suddenly the show became so much better. Then and there I realized that hey, a lot of that hype that surrounds Misty... it's sorta bullshit. Just like her character. Incidentally, though, I liked Misty a lot more in Chronicles, where she was doing stuff without Ash and Brock. Funny, isn't it? If Misty had more adventures like she did in Chronicles, I might've actually genuinely liked her. Eh... what could have been.

Still, overall, she was a pretty shitty tomboy and is the poster girl for one of my most despised ships in the fandom. There are also other reasons that fuel my dislike of her, but they can't be mentioned here. Suffice to say, Misty doesn't suck as much as Iris, but in the grand scheme of things, she still sucked enough for it to bug me.

And that's the end my tangent of hatred. Good timing, this thread. I'm in a really fucking bad mood today.

From the current series alone, I can only say Bianca, because I find her annoying compared to the Bianca in the games, Burgundy as well, though not as much as Bianca.

Of the overall anime itself, Piplup easily fits in the slot for the most annoying character the anime has ever had, in fact, I find him more annoying than Scrappy Doo and Jar Jar Binks combined, Kenny is also pretty bad, as he is so two dimensional it's unreal.

And need I mention Tobias, he just came out of absolute nowhere when nobody was expecting it, with no build up to his appearance at all, and came into the anime using Pokemon nobody expected anyone in the anime to use, and just defeats Ash, I fear that if N were to appear in the anime, he would be turned into a Tobias expy. Also, just where the heck did Tobias get his Pokemon anyways, and aren't those Pokemon usually banned from being used in tournaments, the writers must have been high on something when they made this character.

But there is one character I find to be worse than all of those characters combined, and that is Ash Ketchum himself, and I could go on forever about it.

Last edited:
I despise the one character in the series that just ruins everything.... ASH KETCHUM!!!!!! For one... HE DOESN'T AGE.... I mean don't even tell me it took him like a freakin' weekend to travel in 4 different regions... was he all like... "That was one hell of a weekend... time for Unova!" I mean why don't they use any of the characters from pokemon special!? Especially for Unova... they need a new freakin main character that gets the job done and runs into ACTUAL problems. I mean they kinda stepped up team rocket, but Ash just kills it for me. Anyways, if they actually made him age the show might be better

That upstart Trip trying to be Paul. He thinks he knows everything and he is all that and a bag of chips. The next best thing since sliced bread. I could keep going.
I don't like Iris too much. I mean she is another gym leader following Ash and bickering with him. Didn't we have a much better character like that already?
I miss Brock but Cilan is fine. I don't really understand the whole comparing situations with food thing, I get it he is a cook!

Dawn and Piplup... Dawn and Piplup so much.
Right now I'm too lazy to really express all my hate towards the both of them, so I'll do it quickly.

Dawn: In my opinion, she was the worst character ever created in Pokémon (not counting the CotDs). I found her to be incredibly bland, plain boring, dull, and normal. There was nothing about her that actually made me care for her. Woah, she had a losing streak, OK, she got depressed about it and was forced to fight her way up again, OK, she did it all in extremely uninteresting way, OK.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea with having a main character to struggle al lot in order for them to get better, really. There was a lot of potential here, but still I found it all too be extremely boring and dull. I almost fell asleep during the Dawn-centered episodes, 'cause the writers really failed to make it all interesting.

I'll throw Dawn in the trash can anyday....

Piplup: I won't even bother...

Characters I hate the most?

THE FUCKING PENGUIN
I wish I could stone the penguin to death with the rock and then drop the remains on togekiss so they would never be in the screen ever again. Potchama was an obnoxious little shit and is the main reason why I got over Hikari very quickly.

THIS ^

I feel Dawn probably would have worked better in her own series rather than traveling with Ash and Brock. Its not the character herself that was bad, it was just her lackluster interactions with the main cast and rivals that brought her down.

I am a bit mixed on Dawn myself. There are some moments in the series I really liked her but others where I kinda found her blandish.

I do feel Dawn was most entertaining in the first 50-60 eps of DP, rather than the latter half.

Dawn out of the main characters. She was just so boring. Every now and then she had her moments, but most of the time she was just so bland and uninteresting that it put me to sleep. It also doesn't help that her dub voice was the most irritating thing ever. It's sad because I feel like she had tons of potential, but in the end she was just not at all interesting to me.

For non-main characters, Zoey and Kenny. Do I even need to explain these two? >_> Zoey was okay at first, but it got to a point where I just got so annoyed everytime she showed up on screen. She didn't feel like a real rival, and at the same time I couldn't stand her holier-than-thou attitude. And Kenny...Kenny was just awful. He was so dull and added absolutely nothing to the story whatsoever. DP definitely would not have lost anything if he hadn't been around.

So yeah, those three.

I don't think I need to say it but I'll have to do it so as not to spam on this thread: Trip. I've already explained why more than once but I will say again that he is essentially has bad quality in a rival thrown into one character. And his design is ripped-off of Paul's design.

I haven't been too happy with Iris' character but I don't dislike her any more than say, Richie or Casey (in fact, still more than them at least). I don't hate the character herself though. Trip is the one and only character in the whole anime whom I can honestly say I wish never existed.

Last edited:
Actually I tihnk that to the older fans at least, this new version of Ash may very well be the most hated character. He's definitely up there at the least.

Ritchie, Kenny and Trip.

Ritchie is mister perfect Gary Stue everybody loves. He has no flaws.

Kenny, is bland and boring, and has a very rude personality that just makes him even more unlikeable. Unlike Gary who's rudeness is what made him likeable.

Trip is another mister perfect know everything that for no reason dislikes Ash and brings no flavor the their "rivalry" whatsoever.

It's weird, I like Dawn I guess, but after she regained her confidence and after Mamoswine, she just seemed really...bland. I mean she was there and had an alright arc and everything, but she just had thing...blank sterilized, standardized feeling to her. I can't really explain it. Kenny, I used to hate, but he's just so pathetic I'd feel bad hating on the guy.

I guess Piplup would be my most hated, I'd say Iris but I don't really hate her, it's more like I don't care.

Actually I tihnk that to the older fans at least, this new version of Ash may very well be the most hated character. He's definitely up there at the least.

Pretty much. Granted I was getting bored of Ash's personality in DP, but at least it still felt like the growth of the same character from Kanto so I still accepted him.

The BW Ash has had a few funny moments, but he's not the same Ash I felt like I was watching for 13 years.

Misty definitely her bitchy attitude...I NEVER liked her (WAYYY too overrated) but I got to say for number one...TRACEY...never has a character been so useless or boring I cannot stand him at all...no offense to the people who like him or Misty but I cannot stand them. Pokemon wise....Roggenrola another useless character it was the most pointless catch Ash has ever done -.-
I honestly like every other MC and Pokemon really especially Ash even though many people like dislike him but yea Tracey for my most hated :p

I dunno about the newer fans but as an older fan i am too big on B/W Ash. I am still hopeful they will get him back to where he was in battle frontier, which is a serious trainer and hell even somewhat respected.

I do not like Oshowatt one bit! How in the world does he even know that there is a battle going on? or that a pretty looking pokemon is on stage and suddenly he just gets out of his pokeball like he could see whats going on. At least with psyduck and wobbafett they just come out randomly, sometimes in the worst possible times. But with Oshowatt is is completely aware and plus he is annoying and arrogant.

Iris is by far the worst character in the entire anime if not the entire franchise. She's mean, poorly constructed, hypocritical, obnoxious, BORING, stale, UNNECESSARY and unpunished. Ash suffered constantly in the original series but Iris gets to be happy when she was just as thick headed and obnoxious. She's just so so so LAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom