• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your opinion on Ash releasing Pokemon?

What is your opinion on Ash releasing his Pokemon?

• Total voters

Cybersai

Reaction score
What is your opinion on Ash releasing his Pokemon in general? Its something that has happened over the course of the shows run, and it really makes Ash look stagnant as a trainer.

Thoughts?

The third one. Ash releasing Butterfree is okay since Butterfree was all "grown up." What say, now that I think about it, is that maybe he's just pushing himself to new challenges. But there's no point for releasing his weak Pokemon.

Honestly? He has how many ? 20 something?

At this point I don't really care enough if he does "release" one or two now since he has more then most people do.

Besides, he does this because he's thinking about the best interests of the Pokémon in question. It's always been on the Pokémon's terms and what they want.

Say that Ash kept Lapras rather then let it return to it's family after being separated. Wouldn't that seem rather cruel? Especially after promising that it would return to it's family when they were located?

I picked the third option.

I don't like the fact that after watching the pokemon, I'll miss them...but if it happens it happens and I accept it.

Also, it depends. For example Butterfree...I thought it was a nice way to show some powerful emotion back then. It was a twist in Ash's team and back then, it seemed okay. Also, Lapras. It was obvious from day one that it would go back to its family. That's the whole reason Ash caught it in the first place so letting it go should not have been a shock to anyone.

So yeah, it depends but for the most part, I do dislike seeing pokemon go somewhat. However, it's not too devestating imo.

Ash releasing Pokémon back in the day was okay, when it was clear that the writers never intended for him to keep the Pokémon in the first place... Lapras is the best example. I mean, he only ever gave away a few back then. Butterfree, Primeape, Lapras... Beedrill? I think that's it?

But what's going on in DP is simply bad writing. And not the charming kind of bad writing, but the headdesk kind of bad writing.

It isn't like he dumps their Pokéball in the gutter without warning or something either.

Be honest, do you keep all of your friends that you knew in elementary school, high school, college/university and at the work place? Friendships break and form all the time. The same could go with Pokémon.

Why on earth is there such a stigma against cast changes?

Oh, and to properly illustrate the double standard here... What about when Team Rocket releases a Pokémon? Do people moan and bitch as much about that?

Last edited:
Be honest, do you keep all of your friends that you knew in elementary school, high school, college/university and at the work place? Friendships break and form all the time. The same could go with Pokémon.
Pokemon are like pets, until they die they stay with you. (usually)

Oh, and to properly illustrate the double standard here... What about when Team Rocket releases a Pokémon? Do people moan and bitch as much about that?

If Team Rocket had a place to store Pokemon it would be bad. It's only a double standard when everyone is on equal playing field.

At this point I don't really care enough if he does "release" one or two now since he has more then most people do.
I have more Pokemon in my PC than Ash has at Professor Oak, I don't usually release a Pokemon unless it's a duplicate. Then again I am trying to "catch them all."

Say that Ash kept Lapras rather then let it return to it's family after being separated. Wouldn't that seem rather cruel? Especially after promising that it would return to it's family when they were located?

So Ash has to abandon his dream of becoming a Pokemon master just to locate Lapras's family? If Ash didn't find Lapras's family what was Ash supposed to do? It's kind of hard to keep a promise when fate isn't exactly happening the way you want it.

If Ash was a heartless jerk, and kept Lapras even though it did find it's family. Then you'd have a point. But the point doesn't work when Ash can't find Lapras's family.

It isn't like he dumps their Pokéball in the gutter without warning or something either.

Why on earth is there such a stigma against cast changes?

This, so much.

Geez, could the poll options be any more biased?

I'm of the mindset that Satoshi would be a colossal dick if he forced all his pokemon to stay with him instead of letting them go whenever they want.

I hated Ash since I can remember so yeah..whatever he does he always lookes like a idiot to me.

CLEARLY I'm biased towards Ash..do not reply to me saying "OMFG LIEK UR SO BIASED AND SHIT STFU"

And the really sad part about it, Ash's Pikachu is basically the only one who gets to say goodbye to his released Pokemon. I think that's being really heartless to the situation.

Next thing Staraptor, Monferno, Grotle, and Buizel are going to notice is Gible is there instead of Gliscor, that's a major mind mess up right there.

One of Ash's Pokemon- Oh hi Glis-, uh who the **** are you?

Squirtle was the only one who actually got to say goodbye to it's comrades and vice versa.

Well, that's not what I do in game, but in the anime I can understand it. so, I'm neutral.

I'm of the mindset that Satoshi would be a colossal dick if he forced all his pokemon to stay with him instead of letting them go whenever they want.

QFT

Dogasu, did the episode give any sort of hint as to whether we might see it again?

Pokemon are like pets, until they die they stay with you. (usually)

You mention "usually". This would imply that they do leave you, which then makes your point moot.

It's implied that Pokémon are on roughly the same intelligence as people and have long enough lifespans that it would be extremely unlikely that it's only a "pet-master" relationship.

If Team Rocket had a place to store Pokemon it would be bad. It's only a double standard when everyone is on equal playing field.

So does this mean that it's perfectly fine for Team Rocket to leave a Pokémon to pursue it's dream meanwhile Ash cannot do the same for his then?

I have more Pokemon in my PC than Ash has at Professor Oak, I don't usually release a Pokemon unless it's a duplicate. Then again I am trying to "catch them all."

Do you feed and take care of all of them? Oh right, THEY ARE ONLY BITS OF DATA IN THE GAME. I like how you try to argue that it's wrong to release a Pokémon yet treat them as mere collector items in the same breath. Talk about hypocrisy...

So Ash has to abandon his dream of becoming a Pokemon master just to locate Lapras's family? If Ash didn't find Lapras's family what was Ash supposed to do? It's kind of hard to keep a promise when fate isn't exactly happening the way you want it.

If Ash was a heartless jerk, and kept Lapras even though it did find it's family. Then you'd have a point. But the point doesn't work when Ash can't find Lapras's family.

I like how you think that Ash's dreams of being a Pokémon Master and locating Lapras's family are somehow mutually exclusive and it's impossible for both to happen.

Honestly you people are being even more stupid then normal today. Jesus you guys suck.

Ash doesn't release any of his Pokémon unless that Pokémon feels it should leave to train/protect/have kids. It's always disappointing to see one go, but we get over it.

(Then there's Beedrill, but who's counting?)

The only other option I left out is, "I'm happy that Ash releases his Pokemon."

I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose that, so I left it out. :p

The only other option I left out is, "I'm happy that Ash releases his Pokemon."

I can't think of any reason why anyone would choose that, so I left it out. :p

What if the Pokémon was one nobody liked?

What if the Pokémon was one nobody liked?

Nobody cares about Ash's Beedrill that he owned for 1 minute, so I'm obviously only referring to the big ones on this poll.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom