• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

What kind of features do you want to see?

Where the Shadows lie
Reaction score
I don't want anything new per se - I just want all of the mindless crap and filler to be cut. Get rid of the 'features' that ditract from the main game. Stuff like Contests should be moved to the side, in some optional area where they don't necessarily impact the main quest.

If they add new features, I want features that replace the complicated ones. Pokemon following you was nice, I felt that it added to the 'bonding experience' with your electronic pokemon pictures much more than something like contests. It served a good purpose.

Similarly, I want a system that isn't complicated to rebattling trainers. No phone, no vs. seeker, and no call list. How about a system where you *GASP* talk to a trainer, and they ask you if you want a rematch? Stick with me, I'm talking kind of crazy here, but why couldn't we just do that?

Unregistered Non-User
Reaction score
Voice Recognition (I'm dreaming)
And more detailed contests.

Reaction score
I don't want anything new per se - I just want all of the mindless crap and filler to be cut. Get rid of the 'features' that ditract from the main game. Stuff like Contests should be moved to the side, in some optional area where they don't necessarily impact the main quest.

If they add new features, I want features that replace the complicated ones. Pokemon following you was nice, I felt that it added to the 'bonding experience' with your electronic pokemon pictures much more than something like contests. It served a good purpose.

Similarly, I want a system that isn't complicated to rebattling trainers. No phone, no vs. seeker, and no call list. How about a system where you *GASP* talk to a trainer, and they ask you if you want a rematch? Stick with me, I'm talking kind of crazy here, but why couldn't we just do that?
You're talking sense to me! Although, I didn't mind the Vs. Seeker and the Call lists etc. They were all fine with me but contests were eugh!

Reaction score
I hate the VS Seeker. Just talking to the trainer's better. And Match Call drove me nuts. Who remembers the trainer's names anyway?

Deep Water
Reaction score
Contests to be as as serious as gyms. that is, along with the main quest of gym battles, participation in contests is more in depth and rewarding.

Doc Octillery FTW
Reaction score
Speaking of Trainer fights, can we ditch or at least revamp trainer classes? I'm tired of Yougsters with two rodent Pokémon, lasses with two Cleffairies, fishermen with 6 Magikrap and hikers with nothing else than Geodude and Machop lines. We need trainers that we don't know how they will react or which Pokémon will they pull out.

Dreams & Adventures
Reaction score
Speaking of Trainer fights, can we ditch or at least revamp trainer classes? I'm tired of Yougsters with two rodent Pokémon, lasses with two Cleffairies, fishermen with 6 Magikrap and hikers with nothing else than Geodude and Machop lines. We need trainers that we don't know how they will react or which Pokémon will they pull out.
Speaking of Trainer Classes. How awesome would it be if each trainer looked different? Not groundbreakingly different, but if battles were 3D, it would be relatively easy (and not space consuming at all) to put a dosen of textures for each trainer. That would be awesome. Also, too much.

Doc Octillery FTW
Reaction score
Speaking of Trainer Classes. How awesome would it be if each trainer looked different? Not groundbreakingly different, but if battles were 3D, it would be relatively easy (and not space consuming at all) to put a dosen of textures for each trainer. That would be awesome. Also, too much.
Actually if you read carefully, that was my point: to eliminate trainer classes and just have trainers, therefore we would not know what to expect each time we enter a fight.

Reaction score
I'd definately like them to keep all the touch screen things from HGSS (Running shoes, Box arrangement, Pokédex etc.)

I really liked those additions and don't think they went overboard at all (like they could have.)

Desert Crocodile
Reaction score
Contests to be as as serious as gyms. that is, along with the main quest of gym battles, participation in contests is more in depth and rewarding.
That would be nice, perhaps something you could work towards (like a Grand Festival?) Only thing I don't really like right now about contests is that you can only feed your Pokemon a certain amount of pokeblocks/poffins before it stops eating them. Then there is no way to "train" them for contests after they've already been filled up :/ They should have a new way to train Pokemon for contests other than just shoving food down their throats.

Also, you know how when you're breeding Pokemon and the Daycare people sometimes delete your Pokemon's moves (for new level-up ones)? They shouldn't be able that :mad: There should be the option of teaching/NOT teaching the level-up moves after you take them out of the daycare.

Doc Octillery FTW
Reaction score
I have to disagree on that, Pokemon game were designed as RPG games in which you fight your creatures (that's the whole thing, if you don't toughen up, you don't get strong enough to save the world and be the champ), so I think they fit better as side quests; I really don't like the idea of making contests part of the core gameplay, let alone incorporate them into the main storyline. HELL NO.

Reaction score
Individual looks? It would be nice. General sprites are nice and all but wouldn't it be nice to see ones that are more like the individual trainer?

Dreams & Adventures
Reaction score
Actually if you read carefully, that was my point: to eliminate trainer classes and just have trainers, therefore we would not know what to expect each time we enter a fight.
Yeah, I wasn't referring to your idea, which is basically kind of okay, but I think that Trainer Clases should stay. It would be difficult to design so many different trainers, plus it would make important people look less original and important. :p I think that face textures and color-tone change would be best case.

And talking about color-tones! Different Pokemon color-tones, like in Stadium! Except they wouldn't be determined by the monsters nickname, but rather its Personality Values. I think that would rock the whole world.

Deep Water
Reaction score
I have to disagree on that, Pokemon game were designed as RPG games in which you fight your creatures (that's the whole thing, if you don't toughen up, you don't get strong enough to save the world and be the champ), so I think they fit better as side quests; I really don't like the idea of making contests part of the core gameplay, let alone incorporate them into the main storyline. HELL NO.
They wouldn't be forced. A choice of one or the other would be nice though (only if competitions are revised).

Reaction score
QFT. Although I would have phrase it "Hell to the No!" contests were dull and boring anyway.

Explore.
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a storyline revolving around the Contests either... I completly suck at 'em, so I know for a fact that I wouldn't be getting very far into the game if that was the case.

As was stated a couple pages back.... DARK-TYPE GYM PWEASE? Every single other element has been used in the Gyms, it's about flippin' time we get a Dark-type after about 12 years into the franchise.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Contests aren't great or anything, but there really should be more to them than just throwing Pokéblocks/Poffin at your Pokémon, using four moves, and hoping you win... The battle system's been made great, but contests... are like nowhere.

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
It really depends. These are for the DS and without knowing what extent they could push the DS to, it's hard to say. Also, they probably, like in the past, will throw us a curve. I don't think anyone expected contests.

However, I would like to see us having a bit more control over attacks.

Reaction score
Allowing us to use the advanced settings on the DSi :/

Why HgSs didn't do this.....

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I'd also like a female rival, but I'm not betting on it. :p
If you play as Brendan in R/S/E, one of your rivals will be female (May), right? But that's just me. It'd be cool to see your mainstream rival as a girl for once. She could be either all girly and whatnot or be a tomboy.

I want to see more use of 3-D
Yeah, definitely.

I'm honestly like to see both the Pokéthlons and Contests in the same game.
I dunno about that...

Anyway, what I'd like to see:
-New evolutionary methods
-Evos of somewhat "weak" Pokemon (Pachirisu, Farfetch'd and Luvdisc come to mind)
-Using a certain item on the Pokemon (but not an evolutionary stone; new evolutionary method)