• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What kind of modification would you give existing moves?

Freaking make Bite Normal-type again. I wouldn't mind also having its variations (Crunch, elemental Fangs), but a simple Bite doesn't need a special type. It's such a basic move that many Pokémon can learn, and Flinching is a good effect early on.

Except there's no such thing as a "Special type" anymore, and its in the physical category.

I'd like it if they changed Solarbeam's effect to be that of a (special) Grass type Focus Punch. You charge it up at the beginning of the turn and if you don't take any damage, fire it off at the end of it. Remove it's Sunny Day effect though. Maybe raise it's BP to match that of Focus Punch. Now that's high risk, high reward. Hello SubBeams!

I agree with Energy Ball's BP rising to 95. The Grass types need something to put them on par with the Water, Fire, Electric and Ice types.

While we're at it, Power Whip is like a (physical) Grass type Fire Blast/Hydro Pump, right? Even things out by making a special variant with the exact same BP and effect as HP/FB and a physical Fire/Water variant of PW.

I also agree with rising the Accuracy of Sleep Powder, Focus Blast and Hydro Pump to 85.

Hypnosis, Sing and Grasswhistle should have 70 Accuracy

Either raise Stone Edge's Accuracy to 85 or raise Rock Slide's Accuracy to 100.

Make a Water type equivalent of Leaf Storm/Overheat and a Grass type equivalent of Water Spout/Eruption.

Petal Dance with 120 BP? Yes please.

Feint needs to do some damage even if the opponent isn't using Protect/Detect. Maybe a 50 BP move that doubles to 100 when the opponent uses Protect/Detect.

On a more indirectly related note, there should be non-legendary perma rain and perma sun summoners to compete with Tyranitar/Hippowdon and Abomasnow.

That's all I can think of for now.

I'd like it if they changed Solarbeam's effect to be that of a (special) Grass type Focus Punch. You charge it up at the beginning of the turn and if you don't take any damage, fire it off at the end of it. Remove it's Sunny Day effect though. Maybe raise it's BP to match that of Focus Punch. Now that's high risk, high reward. Hello SubBeams!
Oooh, I like that a lot! 2-round attacks are so archaic. There's a reason as to why we don't see them a lot anymore. A change like that would put Solarbeam in a lot of Grass Pokemon's repitoire (and probably a lot of Fire Pokemon as well).

At this point I very much doubt we'd see a change to Solarbeam, so I imagine it would come in the form of a brand new attack like many of the new Grass-type moves.

Feint needs to do some damage even if the opponent isn't using Protect/Detect. Maybe a 50 BP move that doubles to 100 when the opponent uses Protect/Detect.
I commented on this on the previous page, but it would need a bigger payoff than that if they wanted people to use the attack. As it stands, you could just use Return/Frustration for the power with less effort without the price of guessing whether or not a Pokemon is going to use Protect/Detect (two moves out of hundreds).

I commented on this on the previous page, but it would need a bigger payoff than that if they wanted people to use the attack.

Like I said, 130.

As it stands, you could just use Return/Frustration for the power with less effort without the price of guessing whether or not a Pokemon is going to use Protect/Detect (two moves out of hundreds).

Okay, either 130 or 200.

And like I said, 50 base, double that if you don't get hit, triple that if they use Protect/Detect. If the power were only to increase when the opponent uses Protect/Detect, we'd run into the same problem of the attack being too specialized to have any real use.

And like I said, 50 base, double that if you don't get hit, triple that if they use Protect/Detect. If the power were only to increase when the opponent uses Protect/Detect, we'd run into the same problem of the attack being too specialized to have any real use.

But that makes little sense. If it hits, it'll hit for 100, if it misses, it won't do damage. Why not just give it a 100 BP from the start? The 50 would just be there for show anyway. How about 100 BP that turns to 140 (same as Overheat/Leaf Storm) if the opponent uses Protect/Detect?

It's like Focus Punch, but not as extreme. If the player using Focus Punch gets hit by a direct attack, the move fizzles out completely. On the flipside, the hypothetical Feint would still hit the opponent for 50 damage if you, the user, gets attacked in the same round. The double power would be the reward for catching the opponent off-guard because of their non-aggression(like switching or using a status move, etc.). The hook is that you can also use it for the original purpose: bypassing Protect/Detect and getting rewarded for your luck, only now you get rewarded on top of just being able to negate Protect/Detect.

You can't have it at just 100 bp from the start. If you give it too much base power, then it just becomes Return. You're trading Trust vs. Risk. If it was just another 100 Base Power attack that could also go through Protect/Detect, that'd be a little overpowered, and would have to be balanced out via PP/Accuracy.

Basically what I'm saying is, at its core, the move would be still rather weak, but the sacrifice of having it as one of your move slots isn't as jarring as it is now. It would gain some usage outside of the Protect/Detect shenanigans. If you play it right the pay off is big.

speaking of focus punch i think it should be affected by inner focus so that when dragonite use's it it always hits but it should keep its low priority

How about the base power only doubles if you move second and don't get hit? But if you are faster than the other pokemon it only does its base 50 power. Then if the opponent uses protect/detect its triple. I wish they would actually do this and make this move worth atleast CONSIDERING for a slot.

With the revelation that Growth now increases both the Attack and Special Attack, I think this is the best topic to post, because this is a topic of the modification of existing moves, after all.

Overall, I am excited that this happens, because now Grass Pokemon has a new weapon that can give them better mixed attacking stats, like Tangrowth, Shaymin, Shiftry and Cacturne, especially the Chlorophyll users, since they can now be potentially dangerous now.

Drain Punch needs to have 10 PP. They boosted Giga Drain up, but then made a new move with the same effect but with 5 PP. What's the point?

The biggest fan-change I currently agree with is the Stealth Rock change. Stealth Rock is broken only in the sense that it's so easy to setup; one layer effected by a VERY good offensive typing, not to mention the fact that a good chunk of Pokémon learn it, and it's purchasable now in HG/SS. Base spikes even with 3 layers, spending 3 turns to get that out, still doesn't really do all that much damage. So I guess that means I also agree that spikes should get a boost, either in the form of more damage, or less layers [2] for maximum effect.

I highly disagree with a lot of the accuracy augmentations for the higher powered moves; they have a lower accuracy to compensate for their higher power. Like, with ice moves, you have a choice between Ice Beam or Blizzard; Ice Beam has decent power and reliable accuracy, but Blizzard has more power, kinda shaky accuracy [guys, it's not 50%, it's ok], and even that choice is effected by potential hail support. I like how you choose what attacks you use based on reliability VS risk/reward [being the potential to miss, but hitting more if and, you're still more likely to hit than not]. The only move without that choice that's been frequently mentioned is Focus Blast, and I still don't think that should get an accuracy boost because... it's just a really good attack; psychics now have a weapon against dark types, a really powerful one, and uh. Yeah. I think that's good enough reason for shitty[ish] accuracy. The whole point of higher power moves is that they have a draw back. Giving them more accuracy [even though no one has suggested 100% for these moves yet, thank God] just takes away a lot of the risk/reward from battles.

Another fan idea I highly disagree with is the potential failing of evasive moves. The whole thing bothers me because, well, if there was absolutely no way to counter evasion, yeah, it'd be broken. But there is; those counters just aren't competitively viable moves because evasion [and basically anything altering accuracy] is either banned or looked down upon in competitive play, which I think is dumb. Moves that always hit [Aerial Ace, Swift, Aura Sphere etc], Foresight/Miracle Eye, and the ACTUALLY POPULAR HAZE? Seriously. Even in Black and White, a new counter in the form of the move Sharpen will be around [if accuracy raise is equal to the evasive raise per stage, this I honestly don't know], since if you predict they'll use Double Team, you could use sharpen; making their turn a wasted one since you'll be able to hit them with the same accuracy anyways, AND recieve a power boost. I think I should add a disclaimer to this paragraph because I know everyone is going to disagree and be all, "Wah wah double team is broken you're dumb," because I've been there before but whatever.

Someone mentioned how some attacks should have a trait that makes them become physical/special based on the Pokémon using it [and I guess their stat of preference], and I kinda like that, but instead in the form of a new ability, similiar to Delcatty's Normalize, that'll turn all offensive attacks on your Pokémon to physical attacks, or special attacks [not based on stats, one or the other]. I'd like to see how that, "Realistically," works in the Pokémon world [I'll punch you out with my psychic... fists. Oop, here we go new move, Psychic Punch], but yeah.

And this is a weird one but... I really love the idea of the moves Ancient Power/Silver Wind/Ominous Wind. Not only do I think there should be a couple more moves like it, but I think something should be done about them to make them more useful, and the only reason I find this so difficult-ish, is because of what I was just talking about with the high powered moves with lower accuracy, the risk vs return thing. They're weak moves, with a very low chance of their side effect working, but a GREAT side effect. I don't know if I think the moves should recieve a slight power boost [either to 70 or 75], or if they should have a boost in the effect%. If it were in the effect %, I'd say NOT EVEN 20%, because with Serene Grace that becomes 40% and that's just really awesome. 15% is I guess kinda ok, since with Serence Grace that becomes a 30% chance, and even in that kinda unrealistic situation [being that Serene Grace has to be around] it still only has the same chance of activating as a OHKO attack.

...Also make one-hit-KO attacks 100 accurate. That'll show them.

Yeah, the moer powerful moves do not need a accuracy change. I usually use their weaker versions anyway because they do almost as much, have a lot more accuracy, and more PP.

And this is a weird one but... I really love the idea of the moves Ancient Power/Silver Wind/Ominous Wind. Not only do I think there should be a couple more moves like it, but I think something should be done about them to make them more useful, and the only reason I find this so difficult-ish, is because of what I was just talking about with the high powered moves with lower accuracy, the risk vs return thing. They're weak moves, with a very low chance of their side effect working, but a GREAT side effect. I don't know if I think the moves should recieve a slight power boost [either to 70 or 75], or if they should have a boost in the effect%. If it were in the effect %, I'd say NOT EVEN 20%, because with Serene Grace that becomes 40% and that's just really awesome. 15% is I guess kinda ok, since with Serence Grace that becomes a 30% chance, and even in that kinda unrealistic situation [being that Serene Grace has to be around] it still only has the same chance of activating as a OHKO attack.

Togekiss would love this, having access to Serene Grace, Baton Pass, Roost, Ancient Power, Silver Wind, and Ominous Wind.

The one thing that's always bugged me about the All-stats moves is their ridiculously low PP. They've already strained the power and the chance to proc the effect is the lowest it can go at 10%. That means, if you're horribly unlucky, by the time you DO manage to get the effect to work the move is out of PP. And of course, stats don't last when you switch, so that if you are forced to switch for any reason, you've just blown your boost.

Every single stat getting boosted isn't even that great. Well, it IS, but besides that, often you won't have a mix of attacks, so your Atk or Sp.Atk boost goes to waste. Both defense going up is awesome, but if your defense is paper-thin already it'll be a marginally better. Speed is nice, but what good is speed if you run out of PP for your attack!

Hence, I think they should boost the PP. Something reasonable, like 10 PP, would be okay with me. The power is comparatively low and the percent chance is equally as low, so all we need is more opportunities to utilize the move.

Dark Void needs to do damage. Spatial Rend should have an effect similar to Trick Room, Roar of Time should bring status changes and stat boosts back from 2-3 turns ago, and all Legendary-signature moves (including some non-legendary but still powerful moves i.e. Aura Sphere, Leaf Blade) should have increased accuracy, reduced PP and power similar to/the same as/better than Hyper Beam/Explosion!!! SUPER POWER LEGENDARY MOVES FTW! (I know this might not work out tho! :-/

Petal Dance's base power should be Outraged aka raised up to 120. We definitely need more powerfull Grass-type moves.
And Dark Void's accuracy should be lowered to 70% imo. Especially if offical rules aren't used in B/W's random WiFi matches (like PBR...). 80% is just too much, especially if used in double battles.

The one thing that's always bugged me about the All-stats moves is their ridiculously low PP. They've already strained the power and the chance to proc the effect is the lowest it can go at 10%. That means, if you're horribly unlucky, by the time you DO manage to get the effect to work the move is out of PP. And of course, stats don't last when you switch, so that if you are forced to switch for any reason, you've just blown your boost.

Every single stat getting boosted isn't even that great. Well, it IS, but besides that, often you won't have a mix of attacks, so your Atk or Sp.Atk boost goes to waste. Both defense going up is awesome, but if your defense is paper-thin already it'll be a marginally better. Speed is nice, but what good is speed if you run out of PP for your attack!

Hence, I think they should boost the PP. Something reasonable, like 10 PP, would be okay with me. The power is comparatively low and the percent chance is equally as low, so all we need is more opportunities to utilize the move.

I 100% agree with you. Either the PP should be raised, or the base power should be raised (from 60 to 70-80) to make it a better move, OR the chance of raising all stats should be raised (from 10% to 30-35%) and the power made lower (60 to 50)

As said earlier, Dark Void's accuracy needs to go down. Also, attacks that hit multiple partners should have the option of only hitting one.

Increasing the power and/or accuracy of all offensive Rock moves. Why can't Stone Edge have 120 power like all the other elemental "power" moves to compensate for its poor accuracy? Fire Blast, Megahorn, and Power Whip all have 120 BP and BETTER accuracy than Stone Edge, with Fire Blast having the most distribution and arguably being the most useful coverage and metagame-wise. The special Rock moves are...weak. On the special side, the most powerful moves are Power Gem and HP Rock. Giving a more powerful special Rock move would potentially help every special-oriented Grass type in the game, and who knows what else? A number of the game's worst threats are weak to Rock.

The elemental punches' BP also needs to go up, perhaps to 95 to match their special counterparts (Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower). It's shameful how many Pokemon rely on them for their primary STAB, where they barely outdamage Return. Even worse is that they're the most reliable STAB available for most physical Pokemon of their type.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom