• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What kind of trainer are you?

Do you use...

• Total voters
More like, if you voted for it, you made it a majority... It is currently 19 vs 18, as close as possible.

Favorites, always. I never cared if a certain Pokemon is considered strong or better or whatever by the majority, if I like it by it's design (with cuteness/coolness) then it's most likely going to be one of my favorites, thus might end up on my team at some point.

I'm a mix of both, but that's mainly because my favorite Pokémon are also some of the stronger and/or more versatile Pokémon out there.

i'm definitely a "only uses the pokémon i like" kind of person. i just use whatever looks cool or cute to me and refuse to use anything that i don't like the look of, and i don't bother with stats ever. i am not a very good trainer.

If I'm playing a challenge (like nuzlocke) or PvP, then I'm using strong Pokémon with some exceptions here and there.

If I'm playing a casual playthrough, I'm playing with the Pokémon that I like.

I use pokemon I like. Pokemon I want to use. That's why I like playing pokemon games. And why I don't like battle towers or playing against people online. Because doing that I have to use specific teams and strategies to not get curb stomped every time.

My answer is.... a mix of both.

As I've already said, I almost always use my Starter Pokémon, whatever it may be, throughout the game. Furthermore, I always like, when practical, to capture the pseudo-legendary of the generation and use it.

In general, both starter and pseudo-legendary Pokémon are strong and useful, and often good-looking too, but I like to use them more out of habit than because of their strength itself.

Furthermore, I almost always try to avoid type-overlepping in order to provide more diversity and options in battles.

So, only when all these prerequisites are met do I start to consider the Pokémon Available in the game and the viability, or not, either by strength or appearance, of introducing them into my team.

However, recently, I have been using monotype teams in my gameplays. In this case, I always try to use dual-types monsters and, at most, a single Pokémon that is only the chosen type. And, in this type of gameplay I end up paying attention, when possible, more to the strength of the Pokémon itself, as weak Pokémon and all of the same type can end up being a hindrance when the end is to beat the game.

Last edited:
I use my favorite Pkmn to the point of having an all Grass type team, sometimes including a Sunflora.
I don't care if I'm defeated, since I'm with my companions.

I typically use my favorite Pokémon or alternatively I get too lazy to develop a team and just end up using my starter and whatever other random mons

Playing Pokemon Black, I'm nearing the end of the Pokedex and, because of my compulsion to make a team of the first six Pokemon I catch before I can catch my final team (which, naturally, is only possible ever later in the game), I'm ending up with a very similar team every time--Starter, Watchog, Stoutland, Liepard, Audino, and maybe some variation on the last one. I wouldn't care about that so much, but leveling up is a pain in the ass without the Exp. Share and--Sorry, Karen--such weak Pokemon. (Although Lillipup and its evolutions aren't weak.) So I've been googling which Pokemon are recommended for B/W playthroughs, and I might eventually do that for BW2 and HGSS--i.e., all the games I'm still playing that are pre-Gen VI (and therefore, pre-multi-Pokemon Exp. Share).

So I guess I am leaning more towards "strong" Pokemon lately. In Black/White, I'm into the Legendaries now.

Back
Top Bottom