• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation What Kinds of Extra Content Should the Series Have?

Bolt Strike

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
I've discussed this topic several times on other threads, so I think maybe it's worth its own topic.

So the last few generations have made some massive changes in terms of what kinds of extra content there is to do in the main games, and with Pokemon shifting to console and selling for $60, this topic becomes all the more important. Many of the GBA and DS era games had a lot lengthy sidequests such as Contests and Secret Bases, but those types of features have been dropped in recent games. Meanwhile, SwSh introduced Max Raid Battles, which feature recurring co-op battles against strong foes and are made more evergreen by having increased spawn events. So which of these should be kept? Which of these should be dropped or brought back? Is there anything new you'd like to see in terms of extra content?

Here are some of my thoughts:

-Max Raids (or some sort of equivalent) can stay, but they need to be improved upon. Evergreen content is good, but when it's just shallow, repetitive content like "battle this Pokemon over and over again", the fun doesn't last terribly long. Now Dynamax Adventures does seem to be building on these to some degree, and it remains to be seen how exactly it will build on the experience, but based on the screenshots it seems to be more geared towards "go through a gauntlet of Dynamax Pokemon to reach the end" which isn't quite what I had in mind. What I'd like to see is more along the lines of them expanding with more story/exploration, having recurring areas/dungeons similar to the Mirage Spots or story/trainer events and sidequests.
-On a related note, I'd like to see a formal sidequest system. They kind of had sidequests in USUM, but those sidequests were fairly minor and didn't have good rewards to provide incentive to complete them. I'd like something more along the lines of Ranger or BotW's sidequests. Sidequests should reward you with rare Pokemon or items (Pokemon with HAs, exclusive species, causing new species to spawn in the overworld, evolution items, items used for whatever burst gimmick they're currently pushing, TMs/TRs, etc.). The collectathon sidequests (Zygarde Cells, Totem Stickers, Alolan Digletts) could be retained as one of these sidequests.
-Amie/Refresh/Camp returns, but it is expanded on with Secret Base mechanics, allowing you to decorate your space with furniture and other fun things to share with friends.
-Contests, or some sort of equivalent, need to come back in some form, and work similarly to how they have in RSE/DPPt/ORAS.
-Either the Battle Frontier needs to come back or battle facilities need to be expanded with multiple modes that cover multiple different battle styles, such as bringing back Rotation, Triple, and Inverse Battles, coming up with new ones like in past Battle Frontiers, having a PWT/Wyndon type of tournament with gym leaders and other important characters. They could also potentially integrate the competitive scene more into this facility and have real life tournaments conducted through this facility.

I think all of those should be in every game, but I have some other ideas that they could potentially experiment with in several games that might be a little less necessary and could be kept exclusive to certain games:

-Another Safari Zone-esque capturing facility. The Safari Zone itself should stay dead, but some of the mechanics from past Safari Zones such as HGSS' customization or XY's Friend Safari would still add value. Some type of combination of those two features would really encourage more communication in the community.
-This could also work with the above idea, but having a battling facility that involves also catching Pokemon would be kind of fun. I had an idea for a battling facility where you catch Pokemon and battle with them in the facility and you can keep them if you win. Another idea would be to expand on what they did with the Motostoke Gym and have you compete with other trainers to catch Pokemon.
-Bring back the Trick House, maybe turn that into yet another battling facility. Perhaps they could give the facility a time limit, and you would have to defeat trainers to extend your time. I'd also really like the opportunity to design my own puzzles.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

First of all, certain gameplay features that add value to the basic Pkmn eperience of interacting with Pkmn and exploring a region should be always kept and those two are seasons and the option to have Pkmn following you (and assuming the day/night cycle will never again be removed).

Also, rebattling Gym Leaders and the NPC trainers.

The option to have more personal customisation options like having the option for a empty lot in every city and decide in which you may want to have your house, gym, daycare, etc, complemented with a system of jobs and (meaningful) quests.

I consider these "extra content" because they're not granted and are treated as such from one game to the next.

I won't defend the idea of contests returning, because I prefer Pokeathlon and other migh prefer the Musicals but if they could have an all in one building/facility, I'd stand for it.

First of all, certain gameplay features that add value to the basic Pkmn eperience of interacting with Pkmn and exploring a region should be always kept and those two are seasons and the option to have Pkmn following you (and assuming the day/night cycle will never again be removed).

Ehhh, IDK about seasons. I do like how they affect the overworld which enhances the exploration, but they tend to last very long so you'll usually end up just waiting it out for a few weeks. Unless they wanted to make seasons a lot quicker (like, one week), it's probably best they just leave them Unova exclusive and adapt the overworld changes into weather. Most of what seasons did such as having the water level raise/lower or snow piles can just be done with sun, rain, and snow.

I consider these "extra content" because they're not granted and are treated as such from one game to the next.

By "extra content" I mean activities/goals/tasks outside of the main goal. Some of the things you listed are definitely "extra", but I wouldn't consider them "content", they're more like extra features. Customization and Pokemon following don't really give you something to do, it's just an extra option for your adventure. I'd definitely like those things kept, I just don't see them as being part of the topic.

Ehhh, IDK about seasons. I do like how they affect the overworld which enhances the exploration, but they tend to last very long so you'll usually end up just waiting it out for a few weeks. Unless they wanted to make seasons a lot quicker (like, one week), it's probably best they just leave them Unova exclusive and adapt the overworld changes into weather. Most of what seasons did such as having the water level raise/lower or snow piles can just be done with sun, rain, and snow.
While most of seasons' changes could be adapted into weather, I feel like some of the aesthetic changes that seasons bring couldn't be adapted into a weather format, such as red and yellow leaves in the fall. I think a solution would be to A) have seasons be an option you can enable, and B) allow players access to an item or NPC that changes the seasons for you.

My key things would be:

• Pokemon interaction outside of battle: Amie/camp and walking features.
  • Battle facilities: A Battle Tower with renting and Multi Battle options and another facility that helps you with grinding (Sports Stadium, Battle Chateau). I'd prefer if both were in the same location in some kind of Battle Park.
  • Catching facility/feature: A very underrated one, I'm thinking something like Friend Safari or the Mirage Spots feature, something that keeps you catching Pokemon on the postgame. Even with Dexit ongoing, they could keep it interesting by catching rare Pokemon easier.
  • Minigames corner: Something fun that wastes your time.
  • Secondary feature: A place who runs in different rules from battles and explores your PC Pokemon's talents. Can have synergy with the minigames.

just bring pokeathlon minigames back and the minigames from pokemon stadium 2 and i'll be entertained for hours and hours, tbh. like that, and a decent post-game battle facility. that's all i ask for. minigames especially as i feel that's such a criminally underrated way to unwind after doing a ton of battling.

There's something I saw from a clip of the Let's Go games where you briefly take control of Pikachu/Eevee for like only one event (don't feel like those games are worth it to me). I think it would be nice to expand that into a feature where you can have certain Pokémon traverse through hidden paths that you yourself can't get to as an extension of the franchise's exploration aspects. This could either compliment the HM/field ability road blocks or outright replace them as a more fulfilling alternative.

I also got this idea in my head for a Contest-like side quest that's essentially a Pokémon talent show, though I'm not sure on the specifics of such a feature as of yet that wouldn't just make them a rebrand of Pokémon Contests.

There's something I saw from a clip of the Let's Go games where you briefly take control of Pikachu/Eevee for like only one event (don't feel like those games are worth it to me). I think it would be nice to expand that into a feature where you can have certain Pokémon traverse through hidden paths that you yourself can't get to as an extension of the franchise's exploration aspects. This could either compliment the HM/field ability road blocks or outright replace them as a more fulfilling alternative.

Interesting. I don't think they'd do that except for some short segments or a minigame, but it would be neat to see. If you spend too long doing that, it could feel more like a diversion and like something that should be a spinoff. You would also have to consider what happens if you run into a wild Pokemon? Would you battle it? And if so, how would you heal since you don't have access to the trainers' items? There could be a lot of potential here, but you would have to be careful how you handle it.

I'm quoting you here since this is a more appropriate thread for this, it's kind of getting off topic on the Gen IV remake thread.

You are misunderstanding me.

I said SwSh is like USUM content wise, and I think that's definitely a solid amount of content for a Pokemon game. I never said it's the Golden Standard.

For me, the Golden Standard are Emerald and BW2. I agree that SwSh and USUM are below that Golden Standard. But my point is, they are a lot closer to it than some people here are pretending.

Sorry, but I don't agree. USUM and SwSh's content just don't keep you coming back for more than a few days or so. This should be a game we're engaged with for weeks. USUM and SwSh are definitely close to each other, but they're lightyears away from the older games.

Sorry but I will definitely praise SwSh. Because I don't evaluate each game based on how much it costs. I evaluate it based on how GOOD it is. You do you.

Imo the "but it costs more!" is a very very weak argument. The games cost more because they are on better hardaware with better HD graphics.

For example: Pokemon Red (1998) costs the same as Pokemon BW2 (2012) despite having a lot less content and despite looking like dog shit. Why? Because they don't put price tags according to how much content a game has.

Thing is that on the consumer side of things, they have to make the games worth the extra money. Just improving the graphics isn't enough for most people to consider a game worth $60, they also have to improve other aspects such as the technical aspects, size and scope of the game, and yes, the amount of content. $60 games on console tend to be ambitious affairs that are high end in nearly every aspect of the game and are experiences you can engage in for weeks, maybe even months. A $60 console game is much more than an HD coat of paint.

Sorry, but I don't agree. USUM and SwSh's content just don't keep you coming back for more than a few days or so. This should be a game we're engaged with for weeks. USUM and SwSh are definitely close to each other, but they're lightyears away from the older games.
I definitely disagree with you.
Thing is that on the consumer side of things, they have to make the games worth the extra money. Just improving the graphics isn't enough for most people to consider a game worth $60, they also have to improve other aspects such as the technical aspects, size and scope of the game, and yes, the amount of content. $60 games on console tend to be ambitious affairs that are high end in nearly every aspect of the game and are experiences you can engage in for weeks, maybe even months. A $60 console game is much more than an HD coat of paint.
I feel like SwSh did do exactly what you were asking. Sorry if you feel different. Agree to disagree I suppose.

I feel like SwSh did do exactly what you were asking. Sorry if you feel different. Agree to disagree I suppose.

I don't agree, no, but I want to elaborate on what specifically I want to see SwSh do better for it to accomplish that.

First, I think the overworld needs to be larger and more open. The entire game needs to be like the Wild Area, but at least 20 times bigger (and 20 is being somewhat generous, there are some open world adventure games that are literally about 100 times bigger than the Wild Area), with more detailed map designs than just generic empty fields, and with more things to do in it besides just scour items and participate in Max Raid battles. Second and more importantly, the larger quest types of extra content need to return, things like Contests, Secret Bases, Join Avenue, etc. More involved, multifaceted mechanics that have you working towards a concrete goal. They could also have a more formalized sidequest system, something like USUM, but with better rewards. There really just needs to be more than "engage in this repetitive capture mechanic" or "grind for items and then mix/craft more items".

I don't agree, no, but I want to elaborate on what specifically I want to see SwSh do better for it to accomplish that.

First, I think the overworld needs to be larger and more open. The entire game needs to be like the Wild Area, but at least 20 times bigger (and 20 is being somewhat generous, there are some open world adventure games that are literally about 100 times bigger than the Wild Area), with more detailed map designs than just generic empty fields, and with more things to do in it besides just scour items and participate in Max Raid battles. Second and more importantly, the larger quest types of extra content need to return, things like Contests, Secret Bases, Join Avenue, etc. More involved, multifaceted mechanics that have you working towards a concrete goal. They could also have a more formalized sidequest system, something like USUM, but with better rewards. There really just needs to be more than "engage in this repetitive capture mechanic" or "grind for items and then mix/craft more items".
Hard disagree on EVERYTHING you said.

You will just never be happy. This proves it for me.

Hard disagree on EVERYTHING you said.

You will just never be happy. This proves it for me.

Dude, I literally just told you what I wanted to see to be happy with the games. That's not being unpleasable. If Game Freak can't provide that much, it's their fault, not mine. There are numerous other action/adventure games that are perfectly capable of satisfying those expectations (BotW, Mario Odyssey, almost anything from Ubisoft, Horizon Zero Dawn), Pokemon is in the minority in that genre in terms of being unable to provide an experience like that. Say what you will about not liking that, but saying I'll never be happy is blatantly untrue.

Dude, I literally just told you what I wanted to see to be happy with the games. That's not being unpleasable. If Game Freak can't provide that much, it's their fault, not mine. There are numerous other action/adventure games that are perfectly capable of satisfying those expectations (BotW, Mario Odyssey, almost anything from Ubisoft, Horizon Zero Dawn), Pokemon is in the minority in that genre in terms of being unable to provide an experience like that. Say what you will about not liking that, but saying I'll never be happy is blatantly untrue.
You will never be pleased by Pokemon, simply because Pokemon has different goals from you.

You will never be pleased by Pokemon, simply because Pokemon has different goals from you.
What kind of extra content would you personally like then? Or are you genuinely saying that you don’t think Game Freak needs to do better in that regard? You keep shooting Bolt down about things, so I know you disagree with him quite a bit. However, I don’t think you’ve ever said your peace about what you think Game Freak should do. I think some clarification would help us understand what you think about extra content as a whole.

What kind of extra content would you personally like then? Or are you genuinely saying that you don’t think Game Freak needs to do better in that regard? You keep shooting Bolt down about things, so I know you disagree with him quite a bit. However, I don’t think you’ve ever said your peace about what you think Game Freak should do. I think some clarification would help us understand what you think about extra content as a whole.
It's very simple. I care about 2 things basically: Battle Facilities and Customization features where creativity is required.

As you know, my favorite game is Pokemon Emerald, as it has an impressive 8 Battle facilities, and then Secret Bases for the creativity I mentioned above.

SwSh has 3 Battle Facilities (plus Max Raid Battles all over the Wild Area, IoA and CT) and I am totally satisfied with them. As for creativity, we have League Card customization and Trainer Customization.

So that's the kinda content I want and SwSh already have it. I would love Secret Bases returning but that is Hoenn/Sinnoh exclusive.

Last edited:
It's very simple. I care about 2 things basically: Battle Facilities and Customization features where creativity is required.

As you know, my favorite game is Pokemon Emerald, as it has a whopping 8 Battle facilities, and then Secret Bases
Okay then. I like those those thing too. In fact, I have a few ideas for facilities of my own.

Battle Quiz Show
This facility exists in order to test your Pokémon knowledge. It’s essentially an expansion of Opal’s quizzes in SwSh and its buff/debuff system, but with harder questions and a combination of true or false and four-answer multiple choice questions. These questions would have the following effects depending on if you were right or wrong:
  • Raising and lowering the stats of your Pokémon.
  • Applying either helpful or hindering weather and/or terrains in regards to your team.
  • Status ailments for either you or your opponent.
Once you beat two consecutive battles, you get the ability to host the rules of this facility with other players.

Battle Safari
A combination of concepts taken from the Safari Zone and the Nuzlocke challenge, meaning you can only use Pokémon caught there and you lose those Pokémon when they faint. You start with one rental Pokémon, and you can catch and battle other Wild Pokémon as well as trainers. The zones, exits, and Pokémon present are randomized. In addition, you only get one optional nurse every three zones.

Battle Mirror
A pocket dimension inside of a mirror where you partake in Inverse Battles with any of the existing formats (Singles, Doubles, Multi, etc.). If you beat at least two battles, you unlock the ability to host the Inverse Battle type chart with other players.

Battle Circuit
It’s the Battle Arena, but with additional options for things like Light Cup, Heavy Cup, Little Cup, and other options that at one point existed for multiplayer link battles. Doing the cups at least once unlocks the ability to host these battles with other players.

Battle Dungeon
This one is more of a social feature that is akin to Mario Maker levels and is like a mix of the Battle Pyramid, ORAS’s Super Secret Bases, and Sinnoh’s Underground. Here, you get to design your own dungeon in the following ways:
  • Change the setting of the dungeon
  • Define the amount of areas/rooms/floors your dungeon will have
  • Deploy your own traps and place your own obstacles that players need to get past by utilizing the system’s hardware
  • Recruit player rosters that you’ve battled online (you can also choose from a pre-defined list of trainers)
  • Set up the battle format
  • Leave items for your friends to utilize (though this comes from your own inventory once that item is placed there) and even add nurses
You can challenge other player’s dungeons and test out your own just like Mario Maker.

A couple other facility ideas I have in mind include:
  • Battle Dojo – A facility that hosts Restricted Sparring from SwSh’s Ilse of Armor DLC and the Battle Arena rules from Emerald which is now referred to as Quick Sparring. You unlock the ability to host Quick Sparring battles with other players by winning at least one match.
  • Battle Circus – A circus tent that randomly places a permanent Trick Room, Wonder Room, or Magic Room.

The "content lacking" argument is objectively false. You cannot tell me SwSh is "content lacking" compared to previous Pokemon games when the full game literally offers you all of this content:

1. Battle Tower
2. Restricted Sparring
3. Dynamax Adventures
4. Max Raid Battles all over Galar
5. Champion Cup rematches
6. Galar Star Tournament Tag Team battles
7. Pokemon Camp
8. Curry making + Curry Dex
9. League Card Customization
10. Best Trainer Customization to date
11. Poké Jobs
12. Pokemon following you
13. Rotom Rally
14. Battle Cafés
15. Cramomatic
16. Diglett hunt
17. Etc (And that's without mentioning how fun it is to just aimlessly roam around the 3 Wild Areas in search for respawning items!!)

This all shows that SwSh is pretty much on par with USUM content wise.

This post is objectively false since so many of these listed features were only available in the expansion pass. You can't count all of those extra features that you have to specifically pay for and say that the full game offers a whole lot of content. The full game is sword shield itself and not sword and shield + expansion pass.

Also, USUM was sold at the same price as SM iirc. You can't just act like cost isn't a factor just because it didn't suit the argument you want to make.

This post is objectively false since so many of these listed features were only available in the expansion pass. You can't count all of those extra features that you have to specifically pay for and say that the full game offers a whole lot of content. The full game is sword shield itself and not sword and shield + expansion pass.

Also, USUM was sold at the same price as SM iirc. You can't just act like cost isn't a factor just because it didn't suit the argument you want to make.
LOL I would never defend the base SwSh. That was a bare bones game.

I will ALWAYS count the Expansion Passes as part of the full SwSh experience.

Personally, I wouldn't want more battle stuff. The entire game is already battling until you drop. There's only so much battling I want to tryhard before I get bored.

I personally would like more events that delve deeper into lores/history of the region, worldbuilding and all that stuff, but also delves deeper into the personalities of certain characters so they get more fleshed out.

Also, those motherfucking minigames like Pokémon Stadium had. That shit was amazing. Give me that shit.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom