• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What languages have you experienced Pokémon in?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
though a lot of us have just experienced the franchise in English, Pokémon is available in many different languages. have you experienced any parts of the franchise in different languages? this can be playing the games in Spanish, watching the Japanese anime, reading the manga in Italian, and so on! maybe you're someone whose first language isn't English and you therefore experienced it in your language?

I watched some of the anime episodes and movies with a Russian voiceover, since I'm Russian-born and visited family a few times as a kid where I wanted to get my Pokémon fix haha. I've also watched the Japanese anime series and played Pearl in Japanese! otherwise, it's mostly been English.

I’ve only experienced the franchise in English outside of non-English Pokémon from trades, expect...

I’m currently playing through Sword in Spanish to try and learn the language. My grasp of Spanish is so poor that generally I can only understand/recognize a couple phrases or a few words within every other sentence, though rarely I can read an entire sentence (usually these are pretty simple with lots of cognates). In battles, I primarily rely on animations to determine which move is what rather than the name of it.

Always english, but I'm doing a sword nuzzlocke in french for the sake of foreign pokemon (not long after starting it I've got a japanese ditto anyways)and it's the only available language I understand enough of.

I've played the games mostly in English. I have played both Ruby and White 2 in Japanese before, and I do have a bunch of books and VHS tapes of the series in French.

English and Japanese. When I was about 10, Platinum was going to come out in Japan. I had just started to get into the Pokemon fandom online and I didn't want to have the game spoiled for me online while I waited for it to come out in Australia, so I asked my parents to buy it for me in Japanese for my birthday. I didn't speak Japanese at all. I have no idea why my parents agreed to get it for me. Eventually I picked up ピ, the first letter in Pikachu and ポ, the first letter in Pokemon and those were the only two letters I could read going through all of Platinum and Soul Silver. Since then I usually do one playthrough in English and one in Japanese for each gen when I can and watch the anime mostly in Japanese. Playing/watching Pokemon is honestly a super fun way to learn more of a language. When I think about it, I learned a lot of english words from Pokemon as a kid as well just because it uses words no 6 year old is encountering in their daily lives, so I guess it makes sense that it would help you learn words in other languages too.

Well, Spanish, English, and Japanese. Spanish because that's my first language, then I learned English, so I played the Pokemon games both in English and Spanish. Also, I read the manga in Japanese online, just cause I like the drawings lol

Anime in Spanish, English and Japanese. Spanish is my main way to watch the episodes and the way I enjoy it the most. Japanese for new episodes that look interesting that I can't wait to watch. English for occasional clips I'm interested and for that Twitch marathon.

TCG in all 3 languages. Well, "experiencing" with big air quotes as all I've done is read text lol.

Games in English (Gen 3-5 and ORAS for nostalgia) and Spanish (Gen 6-present). I'm tempted to play an old game in Japanese to practice the language since those do not have kanji but I've never committed to it.

Manga in Spanish.

thanks to XY, ORAS, SM, USUM all avoaible in multiple languages
by now I played them in all the available languages
do wish Turkish was an available language

Anime I seen it in English, Spanish and Japanese
in the past I seen some episodes in Arabic, French, German, and Italian
I do wish I could see them in more episoes

TCG I do have cards in Japanese, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, and Korean

thanks to me being a Geography fan/nerd - seeing the Pokemon in more than one language is never enough for me
wish there was dub in Turkish

I watched the gen 3 and 4 anime in Italian and also played the games in Italian as that’s my native language

And I watched some Japanese alola episodes

I’ve propably also seen other languages Pokemon stuff, even in Vietnamese and propably Turkish too, well I think I’ve seen Baku Turkish but might’ve seen instambul and Tabriz Turkish too. I’ve seen a bit of Georgian and Armenian Pokemon stuff too but those is cuz I’ve searched for them.

I've only ever played the games and watched the anime in English (apart from a few Japanese anime clips on YouTube, and of course the Japanese game and movie trailers), but at primary school I had a Japanese friend who liked Pokemon. She had a Japanese copy of Pokemon Ruby, which was exciting to see because the game wasn't out in the UK yet, and also a toy Pokedex that spoke all the Pokemon's names in Japanese.

I have played the games in Spanish and English. The Spanish Blue version was kinda hard to read for me when I played it for the first time because I was completely unfamiliar with European slang, and it had some mistranslations. Emerald was slightly better, but since I grew up with the LA dub of the anime I had to relearn the names of everyone.

Might play LGE in Spanish once I get it, since from what I read the translation has improved and I dislike Eevee's English move names.

In the latin american spanish dub, as I'm a latin girl. The dub is from Mexico and many of the voices are very iconic here, I really always look forward the dubbing. I also play the games in spanish but those are translated in Spain. I've also seen some clips and openings in the castilian spanish dub.

In japanese subbed when I can't wait to see the new episodes or movies, most of the japanese voices are amazing and it's no wonder as they are the originals. But being honest, except for a few cases, I don't usually like japanese dubbing of american animation.

In english I've only seen some clips and the Arceus and the Jewel of Life movie, and of course the openings. I have never played any of the official games in english, only some hackrooms that don't have a spanish translation.

In others languages I've experienced almost anything, just a few multilanguage videos of the first opening in YouTube and some versions of the openings.

Last edited:
english (games and pretty much anything), korean (i have a pokemon card in korean), and japanese (the anime, but with no english subtitles)

I've played the games primarily in English and have done a run of Ultra Sun in Japanese for language practice.

I've solely watched the anime in Japanese since like 2006.

I've only read Pokemon Special in English

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom