• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

What led to the "decline" in the animation from XY to SM

Enzito

Reaction score
So I noticed that SM is the first saga since AG to switch back to 24 fps, and I was wondering why this was the case. Maybe budget?

NeoMiniTails

A soldier of kindness
Reaction score
Not really sure where you got this information... but it doesn't really seem accurate especially since Black and White onwards, they started using a higher amount of frames, especially in action-heavy episodes. Sun and Moon wasn't stiff at all so I think you may be talking about something different than frames per second or keyframe.

Enzito

Reaction score
Not really sure where you got this information... but it doesn't really seem accurate especially since Black and White onwards, they started using a higher amount of frames, especially in action-heavy episodes. Sun and Moon wasn't stiff at all so I think you may be talking about something different than frames per second or keyframe.
This is what I was referring to
Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 5.46.41 PM.png

NeoMiniTails

A soldier of kindness
Reaction score
This is what I was referring toView attachment 158538
R&S was considered to have a high amount of frames per second as all the other series prior had lower frame rates... as ruby and sapphire tended to have moment from individuals in every moment like think about the first episode of Sun and Moon where each individual person and section would be moving like Pikachu's ears tinglings while he shakes and hands reaching for a fruit while Ash and his mother doing their own things in the background.

Sun and Moon, like Ruby and Sapphire, had some of the most fluid animation.

Reaction score
Maybe they just didn’t need the extra frames per episode. It’s possible technology has allowed for the same job to be done in less frames.

ehh123

Reaction score
24FPS for R&S? That's a laugh! Not even Akira was all animated on ones! It wasn't a decline, it was just a more loose style.

Shadao

Pikachu's Global Adventure
Reaction score
Typically, 30 FPS means smoother animation since there's more in-betweens to give more motion.

However, it comes at the cost of artists, painters and animators working extra hard since more frames means more drawings and coloring... and the product has to be on schedule.

If I had to guess, they wanted cut back on animation frames to lighten the load but needed a new technique to keep the smooth animation that XY innovated with. Thus, they went with a looser art style allows the animators to go more off-model and thus freedom to animate humans and Pokémon. The drawback of a more detailed model is that nearly every frame has to be kept in-model to remain consistent, which runs the risk of the animation becoming stiff. But a fluid detailed model is a lot of hard work, and thus you have to consider these factors when managing a show.

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
I wouldn't a drop in frame rate a "downgrade", necessarily, when it comes to TV shows and movies. It's not like video games where a higher number of frames per second is almost always better.