• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What led to the "decline" in the animation from XY to SM

Enzito

Reaction score
So I noticed that SM is the first saga since AG to switch back to 24 fps, and I was wondering why this was the case. Maybe budget?

Not really sure where you got this information... but it doesn't really seem accurate especially since Black and White onwards, they started using a higher amount of frames, especially in action-heavy episodes. Sun and Moon wasn't stiff at all so I think you may be talking about something different than frames per second or keyframe.

Not really sure where you got this information... but it doesn't really seem accurate especially since Black and White onwards, they started using a higher amount of frames, especially in action-heavy episodes. Sun and Moon wasn't stiff at all so I think you may be talking about something different than frames per second or keyframe.
This is what I was referring to
Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 5.46.41 PM.png

This is what I was referring toView attachment 158538
R&S was considered to have a high amount of frames per second as all the other series prior had lower frame rates... as ruby and sapphire tended to have moment from individuals in every moment like think about the first episode of Sun and Moon where each individual person and section would be moving like Pikachu's ears tinglings while he shakes and hands reaching for a fruit while Ash and his mother doing their own things in the background.

Sun and Moon, like Ruby and Sapphire, had some of the most fluid animation.

Maybe they just didn’t need the extra frames per episode. It’s possible technology has allowed for the same job to be done in less frames.

24FPS for R&S? That's a laugh! Not even Akira was all animated on ones! It wasn't a decline, it was just a more loose style.

Typically, 30 FPS means smoother animation since there's more in-betweens to give more motion.

However, it comes at the cost of artists, painters and animators working extra hard since more frames means more drawings and coloring... and the product has to be on schedule.

If I had to guess, they wanted cut back on animation frames to lighten the load but needed a new technique to keep the smooth animation that XY innovated with. Thus, they went with a looser art style allows the animators to go more off-model and thus freedom to animate humans and Pokémon. The drawback of a more detailed model is that nearly every frame has to be kept in-model to remain consistent, which runs the risk of the animation becoming stiff. But a fluid detailed model is a lot of hard work, and thus you have to consider these factors when managing a show.

I wouldn't a drop in frame rate a "downgrade", necessarily, when it comes to TV shows and movies. It's not like video games where a higher number of frames per second is almost always better.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom