• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What little things, details, and other small additions in Sword/Shield that you like

I just realized recently while replaying Sword that part of Hop’s and Leon’s encounter themes are similar, more specifically towards the end of each song. Here’s the songs for both Leon and Hop for comparison. The similar part is at around 0:49 and 0:56 respectively. I haven’t listened to their themes thoroughly enough to know if there’s any other similar sections.
There's a chance there could be more, considering they did a villainous example with Lusamine and Guzma last gen.

In the main hall of the battle tower after Leon takes over, the roses are replaced by what seems to be the same flowers that grow outside of Leon's house

Leon's catchphrase is "Let's have a champion time", Sans' is "You're gonna have a bad time", the battle tower theme is composed by Toby Fox, Leon is Ness confirmed!

- Nature Mints
- Most trade evolutions appearing in the wild
- Type-themed PC wallpapers (although I wish they'd kept the old ones too)
- Pokemon having titles depending on the ribbon attached
- The rental teams and rank system, which make the Battle Tower more accessible

There's also an incredible amount of detail packed into the Galar region. Here's just a few things I've spotted:

- James Turner's concept art of Galar appears as a painting in the Rose of the Rondelands hotel
- A man in Motostoke mentions how some people prefer TRs to TMs because they're "retro". Essentially, TRs are the Galar equivalent of vinyl records, and TMs are equivalent to CDs.
- Hop's bedroom is slightly messier than Leon's, either due to his personality or because he's at home more than his brother.
- Galar has "Shellder cards" - a parody of Oyster cards, a payment method used on public transport in and around London. The ticket machines in Galar's train stations have a Shellder logo on them, but it's not normally easy to see. I first noticed it when meeting Klara for the first time at the Isle of Armor station - the camera zooms in on her and you can clearly see the ticket machine in the background. A "Cloyster card" would have been funnier in English, but Cloyster has a different name in Japan.

Last edited:
Wait what.

When viewing a Pokemon's Ribbons, there's now an option to "attach" a ribbon to your Pokemon, giving it a title. For example, if you attach the Galar Champion Ribbon to a Pikachu, it'll say "Go! Pikachu the Galar Champion!" when you send it into battle. You can also do the same thing by attaching a Mark, if the Pokemon has one.

When viewing a Pokemon's Ribbons, there's now an option to "attach" a ribbon to your Pokemon, giving it a title. For example, if you attach the Galar Champion Ribbon to a Pikachu, it'll say "Go! Pikachu the Galar Champion!" when you send it into battle. You can also do the same thing by attaching a Mark, if the Pokemon has one.
...ok whaaaat I actually had no idea this was a thing lol that’s cool af

scorching sands is cool, now we need a poison , electric, ghost, psychic and fairy move to do burns too.

Hm, let's see... I enjoy the automatic running shoes FINALLY making a return all the way from Gen IV, and that the bike is automatically mapped to a button now. I also enjoy that the Pokemon Box is automatically accessible from your party. I also like the addition of TRs.

That's all I can really think of at this point...maybe it's time for a replay!

Another really small thing I just remembered is that we no longer need to hit the A button an extra time to open doors or proceed with certain prompts like talking to Nurse Joys in Pokemon Centers. That was a huge annoyance in Gen 7 and I wonder why GF decided to add that in. Now, it's back to how it was before Gen 7, which makes things much easier (though, on occasion, my muscle memory tends to click the A button out of habit whenever I walk up to a door or something that doesn't require it anymore, which is decently annoying to me).

Dang.

That's lit.

Not to mention that Marnie, Piers and the Team Yell battle themes have the same opening.

I mean, we know that Marnie is affiliated with Team Yell from like her first scene, and we battle Piers after we've battled a stream of Yell grunts and walked in on him singing to a crowd of them. That's more like Guzma, Plumeria, Gladion, and the Skull grunts all having the same intro as an obvious aesthetic unity because they all openly act under the same banner, as opposed to foreshadowing a plot twist by using a piece of Aether's theme within Guzma's theme before their connection is revealed.

I mean, we know that Marnie is affiliated with Team Yell from like her first scene, and we battle Piers after we've battled a stream of Yell grunts and walked in on him singing to a crowd of them. That's more like Guzma, Plumeria, Gladion, and the Skull grunts all having the same intro as an obvious aesthetic unity because they all openly act under the same banner, as opposed to foreshadowing a plot twist by using a piece of Aether's theme within Guzma's theme before their connection is revealed.
I know that, but the post that started the string was about such an aesthetic unity of two brothers in the first place; Hop and Leon. I was just adding onto that and didn’t want to quote the entire comment chain.
I just realized recently while replaying Sword that part of Hop’s and Leon’s encounter themes are similar, more specifically towards the end of each song. Here’s the songs for both Leon and Hop for comparison. The similar part is at around 0:49 and 0:56 respectively. I haven’t listened to their themes thoroughly enough to know if there’s any other similar sections.

Leon has exercise equipment in his room. That is why using one hand to throw an enlarged Ultra Ball is not hard for him.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom