• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What little things, details, and other small additions in Sword/Shield that you like

I was doing a tournament in Wyndon today to get some money and I remembered how much I like the way that the jumbo-trons in the arena will sometimes display cute little Ball Guy graphics depending on what's happening, like Dynamaxing your Pokémon makes it show a sequence of Ball Guy growing huge, and a Pokémon fainting shows Ball Guy getting knocked out. I wish there were some texture leaks or something that I could link to for a static visual example. You can kinda see the Dynamax one in this picture, between Machamp's legs.

Also, for fun while I was doing Restricted Sparring, I decided to wear the Gym uniform of whatever type I was using, and I hadn't noticed until now that the sponsor on the Normal-type uniform is Silph Co.

Oh and, on the opposite side, a little thing I noticed that is just feels puzzling rather than cool is that they readded the Chansey line in The Isle of Armor, but not the Lucky Punch item, despite bringing back the Thick Club for Marowak. Weird.

In the US version of SwSh, you have the option to dump Sinistea and Polteageist into the water at Hulbury. /joking

On a more serious note, I’ve noticed some (all?) NPCs will smile at the player and/or follow their movements with their head/body if they (the player) are within a certain distance.

You can now finally nickname Pokémon that came a trade! Finally! It’s one time only, but hey that’s fair. My only problem is for whatever reason, you can’t nickname a foreign language Pokémon, like a Japanese Sobble or an Italian Goomy. Feels unessarily restricted.

There's actually a really subtle detail in the beginning of the game that took multiple playthroughs for me to fully realize. When you're first introduced to the Starters, they cause a disaster domino situation that actually has a hidden message. Sobble squirts on Scorbunny, causing it to hop about frantically and hit the branch Grookey is on, which causes the Sitrus Berry it was playing with to fall into the pond and startle Sobble. There is actually a hidden meaning to this: it displays type advantage between the Starters! Sobble's Water beats Scorbunny's Fire that beats Grookey's Grass that beats Sobble's Water. That's actually a cool, and rather adorable, way to show the Grass-Fire-Water relationship between Starters without actually explaining it with text. Cool, right?

Kind of niche, but I like the amount of type theming you can do, with things like the PC Boxes, your biking attire, your camping tent, and having a Gym uniform for each type. It adds a cool aesthetic reinforcement to any monotype runs. Only sad thing is not being able to wear the type-themed uniforms onto the pitch during Gym battles. I still don't understand that bizarre decision.

the type-themed uniforms onto the pitch during Gym battles. I still don't understand that bizarre decision.
I believe somebody here speculated that it was done to prevent the player from showing an allegiance to any one gym. I guess it could have unfortunate implications if you waltzed into Raihan’s gym decked out in the Water gym’s clothing.

Kind of niche, but I like the amount of type theming you can do, with things like the PC Boxes, your biking attire, your camping tent, and having a Gym uniform for each type. It adds a cool aesthetic reinforcement to any monotype runs. Only sad thing is not being able to wear the type-themed uniforms onto the pitch during Gym battles. I still don't understand that bizarre decision.
Considering I do solo runs and I like to wear clothes similar to my Pokémon's primary type, this is perfect. Plus for my normal runs I finally have wallpapers I like.

I was playing with my headphones on the other night, and I noticed something that I think I've picked up on before but never thought to mention - when someone Dynamaxes their Pokémon, for the duration of the time that Pokémon is Dynamaxed, there's a very subtle, but noticeable, constant hum in the sound mix. This really adds to the stadium atmosphere, because it creates a sense of vibrations coming from the enormous Pokémon and reverberating around the arena.

Going to echo the league cards adding more personality to both the NPCs and the players themselves
Another addition that I really liked was Opal's Notes in her gym (right after you finish her gym mission but before you actually face her. THe notes are on Leon and Sonia and it adds even more depth to both characters (especially since we don't get Sonia's league card)

Like Leon's implies he's not 100% happy (which is validated by his rare league card which notes he's livelier now that he's no longer champion) which begs the question what went on to make him feel like that. It's something that I think could've been explored a bit post-game but even if we don't get a concrete answer it just adds a little bit of intrigue to everything and fleshes Leon out more

Sonia's note implies she's actually a far more talented battler than she gives herself credit for, but that Magnolia's shadow (not to mention being up against Leon for her gym challenge) did a number on her. Again, definitely would love to see more an exploration of what went down during that gym challenge (I have my own headcanon but I'd love to see the official reasonings), but again the intrigue that this adds is just amazing

Sonia's note implies she's actually a far more talented battler than she gives herself credit for, but that Magnolia's shadow (not to mention being up against Leon for her gym challenge) did a number on her.
To add on, interestingly enough a similar thing happens to Hop due to the PC and Leon, and Sonia ends up taking him under her wing in the end.

I know it started in Gen 7 but I really like that the NPC trainers show emotion when they lose to you and their dialogue reflects it.

So I burned out on SwSh after completing the story and didn't touch the post-game for a long while and I always wondered what they would do with Milo in said post-game since Eldegoss doesn't have a Gigantamax form unlike Nessa's Dreadnaw so I was like "did they do my lovable boi dirty by leaving him only with Dynamax?" Thankfully they foresaw that by giving him Flapple/Appleton to Gigantamax with and as a whole is a lot cooler looking than Eldegoss. :bulbaLove:

This is probably the right thread for this

They have released a new Galar Expedition Guide which goes into lots of detail about which areas of the UK were used for inspiration in designing the Galar region. Worth a read if, like me, you enjoy learning about the artistic process behind things.

I hope they do these for future regions. It's so much more interesting when they're willing to talk about their influences. 7 years ago, I remember them being so weirdly cagey about admitting that Kalos was based on France (even though it was bleeding obvious), but now they're so much more open about the links between Galar and the UK.

This is probably the right thread for this

They have released a new Galar Expedition Guide which goes into lots of detail about which areas of the UK were used for inspiration in designing the Galar region. Worth a read if, like me, you enjoy learning about the artistic process behind things.

I hope they do these for future regions. It's so much more interesting when they're willing to talk about their influences. 7 years ago, I remember them being so weirdly cagey about admitting that Kalos was based on France (even though it was bleeding obvious), but now they're so much more open about the links between Galar and the UK.
Man, the Pokémon Dens being a reference to the Giants' Causeway seems so blatantly obvious in retrospect, I don't see how I didn't realise that! :O

Overall quite a fun little guide, though I am a bit sad they didn't cover every location. I would've liked final confirmation that Spikemuth was based in Wales. :(

I do like the quality of life things that they added, like the box link, saving with one shortcut, changing nicknames at will, stuff like that.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom