• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What "little things," details, small flourishes, etc. did you appreciate?

I gotta say what others have already said and that's defending your title of champion. Which is something I've been wanting for years now.

The one Easter egg that really got me was who comes to aid when a wild Cubone calls for help.

I was like "OMG. Did they just?"

I'm not going to spoil it for those who still haven't seen it.

EDIT: Okay, after many people asking, I'm going to do what I should have originally done and actually post it... Sorry, I forgot that spoiler tags exist. I began foruming long before these contraptions came about... Okay, onto the point.

A Kangaskhan will/can appear where Cubone calls for help.

Last edited:
The one Easter egg that really got me was who comes to aid when a wild Cubone calls for help.

haha yeah I was thinking the same thing.

I didn't know about this yet, so I looked it up. I was expecting it to be Vullaby or Mandibuzz, since the new Dex entries say that they like to prey on Cubone for their bones (and we see a similar situation with Corsola/Mareanie and Carbink/Sableye).

The real answer is profoundly more shocking. :eek:

1. Being able to cure any status condition after battle through the refresh (on things that persist like paralysis and poison, since confusion and being in love are cured by withdrawing).
2. No more HM slaves! (though I can understand why they won't let me keep the Tauros, Lapras, Charizard and Stoutland that I use for Poké Rides since they're trained for field work, not for battle)
3. The Poké Pelago is my favorite way to tell when I can harvest berries. No more constantly checking every patch of soil in the region.
4. Being asked if I should send the captured Pokémon to a box, or swap it out in my party should I have a full roster.
5. Giving my character glasses. Finally, no more of the game saying my hero has perfect vision! (though it'd be nice if my character could have the option to be chubby like me...stupid skinny and muscle-loving fangirls)

Giving my character glasses. Finally, no more of the game saying my hero has perfect vision!

Ironically, as a glasses-wearer, I went through all of XY without even noticing that they weren't an option. Upon seeing that they were available in SM, I tried them on... only to find that I hated the look, and promptly removed them. :p

(though it'd be nice if my character could have the option to be chubby like me...stupid skinny and muscle-loving fangirls)

In all fairness, looking at the player character in their Poké Ride swimwear shows that they aren't in any way muscular.

But I absolutely agree that there should be body size options. In general, I still think that their customization feature needs a lot of work. XY were a respectable start for a first attempt, but unfortunately, SM didn't expand it anywhere near as much as I was hoping. (Also, I wish that the clothes weren't so "themed" to the region... even though I did manage to find an outfit that worked for me, there were more diverse clothing styles in Kalos, and I had a fair few different outfits saved on those games. Same for my girlfriend - she hates almost every clothing choice in SM. The one outfit that she ended up going with was largely a begrudging "close enough" settlement.)

I agree with defending the title thing. When I play older games and beat the champion, I go back and see the champion is still. I am like "hang on, I have beaten you so shouldn't I be on that spot?"

I am glad that I get to defend my title and actually be a true champion.

Ironically, as a glasses-wearer, I went through all of XY without even noticing that they weren't an option. Upon seeing that they were available in SM, I tried them on... only to find that I hated the look, and promptly removed them. :p

In all fairness, looking at the player character in their Poké Ride swimwear shows that they aren't in any way muscular.

But I absolutely agree that there should be body size options. In general, I still think that their customization feature needs a lot of work. XY were a respectable start for a first attempt, but unfortunately, SM didn't expand it anywhere near as much as I was hoping. (Also, I wish that the clothes weren't so "themed" to the region... even though I did manage to find an outfit that worked for me, there were more diverse clothing styles in Kalos, and I had a fair few different outfits saved on those games. Same for my girlfriend - she hates almost every clothing choice in SM. The one outfit that she ended up going with was largely a begrudging "close enough" settlement.)
I hate these cookie-cutter skinny/muscular heroes that appear in most forms of media.

Honestly, I agree with what a lot of people already said:
  • The Spearow rescue at the beginning. I loved the throwback to the anime and I smiled the whole time once I realized what was going on.
  • The NPCs using different types of Poke Balls. This is such a neat concept and I can't believe it's never been done before! I've started playing a game whenever I do a Trainer battle to see if the balls they use match the ones in their battle images (if they have one).
  • The sightseers/tourists using the non-Alolan forms of the Kanto Pokemon. It's such a small detail but it's a great one that makes total sense.
  • The champion title. I've never thought about who the first champion of any region was and the fact that not only do I get to be the champion but that I have the opportunity to defend the title is awesome.
  • The casual mentions/appearances of important people from other regions, like Anabel and Grimsley. One of my favorites has to be the reference to Lance with a mention of "the Champion with a cape" (or something like that).
  • The character who asks Kukui why he still isn't wearing a shirt (I think it was Professor Burnet but I'm not sure). You know we're all thinking the same thing.
And speaking of Professor Burnet...
....did anybody know that she is the same Professor you work with in the Pokemon Dream Radar app?! I was just looking her up and found that out. I remember she mentioned something about dreams so I knew there was some connection between her and Fennel from B/W but I didn't even remember this. That's a pretty cool connection.

And speaking of Professor Burnet...
....did anybody know that she is the same Professor you work with in the Pokemon Dream Radar app?! I was just looking her up and found that out. I remember she mentioned something about dreams so I knew there was some connection between her and Fennel from B/W but I didn't even remember this. That's a pretty cool connection.

Later on, she also gives you the Reveal Glass, which is another little reference to the Dream Radar that I really liked.

Oh I love those little things, thought it's really hard to think of some off the top of my head. The call back to Nugget Bridge from the original games was great, with 5 trainers on one of the bridges in Malie Garden, and the 6th one actually asks if you want to be a member of team Rocket? What made me even more happy about that was that their Pokemon were the same as the trainers in the original one. That just blew my mind.

This one is just be pure chance I believe (unless they put Solgaleo/Lunala on set nature and characteristic), but I checked Nebby's info after I caught him as a Solgaleo and he had a Naughty nature and his characteristic said he was mischevious. And he always loved to pop out of Lillie's bag as a Cosmog. That was just perfect.

If i think of any more, I'll post them.

I too enjoyed seeing trainers use PokeBalls other than the basic one. That was one thing I've wanted to be implemented forever and never thought they'd actually do. I especially liked how even certain trainer classes would have specific types of balls they'd use, like collectors having Premier Balls, Gentlemen/Madames having Luxury Balls, and Rising Stars having Great Balls. It's minor, but it just adds a bit more realism into the games so its no longer like I'm the only person in the Pokemon world who purchases them.

I really like how inclusive characters are of you and your Pokemon when speaking. When Lillie, Hau, Kukui or whomever mention "Elio and Rowlet this" or "Decidueye and Elio that," it really makes the game feel that much more immersive (especially if you highly regard your starter in the games, like I do).

I also love Hau's detailed facial expressions if you decide to get snarky with him when given the option to do so. They're priceless and I spend an extra few seconds just laughing at his face before continuing the conversation. Also, Lillie's shocked expression for that matter is just as amusing. And lastly when Professor Burnet leaves you and Lillie alone with Olivia, you can see her visibly swooning over the thought of the "Masked Royal" and what's "beneath his mask" as she walks away.

To get a little more specific about the trainers using different poké balls thing, did anyone notice how the majority of Team Skull used nest balls? Nest balls are best used on low level pokémon which means that the grunts couldn't actually catch anything better than weak wild pokémon (because they're grunts, obvs) whereas stronger trainers had ultra balls as a sign that they could handle themselves better.

that's detail.

Ooh, here's a new one: being allowed to lose a battle against Hau. THANK YOU GAME FREAK.

Seriously, that wasn't my A-game. I still don't have a star Electric type... but if Hau's got a Vaporeon then I'm DEFINITELY raising up a Jolteon for our next round.

At Ten Carat Hill, I liked how when Carbink called Sableye for help, it promptly attacked the caller. It surprised me when that happened. It probably is similar to how Mareanie attacked Corsola when called (and will probably be frustrating to get one with Regenerator).

The trainer using any Poke Ball other than the the red and white ones is also a nice touch I like, just as everyone mentioned.

Thanks for reading.

Spoil me then? I don't really want to have to sit there stalling time for a wild Pokemon...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom