• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What makes Rowlet the most popular member of Ash's Alola team?

Rath

Reaction score
This sleepy little bird has become one of Ash's most beloved Pokemon among the fandom, to the point that it was given an Everstone as fanservice. Ash's Rowlet also made Rowlet the #1 most popular Pokemon of the 7th generation.

First, the indicators you mentioned only pertain to Japan. Second, it isn't a huge competition when it comes to Ash's team; Rowlet's personality is the most pronounced one, and the latest two members have had limited screentime.

Ash's Rowlet also made Rowlet the #1 most popular Pokemon of the 7th generation.
That poll was too early to be influenced significantly by Ash’s Rowlet.

Rowlet’s just the writers’ new favourite after Lycanroc.
And Rowlet was already popular in general before Ash’s Rowlet was a thing.

That poll was too early to be influenced significantly by Ash’s Rowlet.

Rowlet’s just the writers’ new favourite after Lycanroc.
And Rowlet was already popular in general before Ash’s Rowlet was a thing.

The poll was early last year. And Nintendo Dream themselves said the anime influenced the results.

The poll was early last year. And Nintendo Dream themselves said the anime influenced the results.

I'd argue it always has: pretty sure Magmar gets most of its popularity from Blaine the anime version than any game appearance or role. That's not even talking about Pikachu or Psyduck.

Taste is definitely subjective on this matter as, while I love the Rowlet line, I’m not a fan of Ash’s Rowlet. The fact that it was mainly used as a gag Pokémon with it always falling asleep just felt like a waste of potential that they could have had it develop from early on and the Everstone just made it worse.

It's """"""cute"""""" which helps its popularity. I don't think there's anything remotely funny about it having narcolepsy, but that's just me.
I agree. In any other region that would have been presented as a problem that Ash had to train it out of since that makes it a massive liability in battle but Sun and Moon where they barely take anything seriously, it’s treated as a “funny” trait. At that point, it might as well have gone to one of the nonbattlers of the cast instead of Ash.

I agree. In any other region that would have been presented as a problem that Ash had to train it out of since that makes it a massive liability in battle but Sun and Moon where they barely take anything seriously, it’s treated as a “funny” trait. At that point, it might as well have gone to one of the nonbattlers of the cast instead of Ash.

Rowlet can learn Sleep Talk, and I'd probably add that to its moveset if it showed up in my own story.

Oddly it does the most out all of Ash's Alolan mons.

Yes. And the fact that it went from narcolepsy suddenly to the point that it takes away attention from other Pokemon who desperately need development (Torracat, the actual supposed battle focused starter has had less battle focus than Rowlet) is a very strange decision imo.

While I don't think that they barely take anything seriously in this series, I do agree that Rowlet falling asleep would have been treated as a problem in any other series. Even Ash in the original series recognized that Cyndaquil taking too long to be ready for battle would put them at a disadvantage. I have wondered multiple times why Ash even caught it. Granted, I don't think it would have fit with any of the other cast members. It might have worked for Mallow if she was interested in Grass type Pokemon, but even that feels like a bit of a stretch.

As for the question at hand, Rowlet is the most popular Alola starter, so that gives Ash's Rowlet an edge in terms of popularity. It's cute and its sleeping gag can also be considered funny/cute. I did like the gag for awhile, but I became annoyed with it when Rowlet couldn't even fly over a small hill to get a berry right in front of its face. That's when it stopped being funny and became a serious problem to me. Like I mentioned before, I've wondered why Ash got it when the bulk of its screentime throughout the series has been sleeping. I'm aware that it's getting more screentime/focus in more recent episodes, but does that really make up for it being a one note gag Pokemon with barely any presence for over a hundred episodes? I doubt it. Maybe it will be different once the dub gets to this point, but it already gives me the impression that the writers are just playing catch up because they had Rowlet spend too much time just being a gag Pokemon and now having to make it useable for the upcoming Alola League.

Oddly enough, I don't really mind Rowlet getting an Everstone. I don't think it was given for fanservice so much as just confirming that Rowlet won't evolve. As much as people wanted to see Ash with a Decidueye, there wouldn't be enough time for Rowlet to fully evolve without feeling rushed or forced. I think that there was a bit of backlash when that episode first aired, but considering that Rowlet spent so much of the series sleeping in Ash's backpack, it might as well not evolve.

While I don't think that they barely take anything seriously in this series, I do agree that Rowlet falling asleep would have been treated as a problem in any other series. Even Ash in the original series recognized that Cyndaquil taking too long to be ready for battle would put them at a disadvantage. I have wondered multiple times why Ash even caught it. Granted, I don't think it would have fit with any of the other cast members. It might have worked for Mallow if she was interested in Grass type Pokemon, but even that feels like a bit of a stretch.

As for the question at hand, Rowlet is the most popular Alola starter, so that gives Ash's Rowlet an edge in terms of popularity. It's cute and its sleeping gag can also be considered funny/cute. I did like the gag for awhile, but I became annoyed with it when Rowlet couldn't even fly over a small hill to get a berry right in front of its face. That's when it stopped being funny and became a serious problem to me. Like I mentioned before, I've wondered why Ash got it when the bulk of its screentime throughout the series has been sleeping. I'm aware that it's getting more screentime/focus in more recent episodes, but does that really make up for it being a one note gag Pokemon with barely any presence for over a hundred episodes? I doubt it. Maybe it will be different once the dub gets to this point, but it already gives me the impression that the writers are just playing catch up because they had Rowlet spend too much time just being a gag Pokemon and now having to make it useable for the upcoming Alola League.

Oddly enough, I don't really mind Rowlet getting an Everstone. I don't think it was given for fanservice so much as just confirming that Rowlet won't evolve. As much as people wanted to see Ash with a Decidueye, there wouldn't be enough time for Rowlet to fully evolve without feeling rushed or forced. I think that there was a bit of backlash when that episode first aired, but considering that Rowlet spent so much of the series sleeping in Ash's backpack, it might as well not evolve.
I don’t know about things feeling rushed being much of a concern for the writers of this saga especially after Lana’s Popleo fully evolved after barely doing anything other than making bubbles for the vast majority of the saga. At least Rowlet has some battle experience even as a gag Pokémon.

I don’t know about things feeling rushed being much of a concern for the writers of this saga especially after Lana’s Popleo fully evolved after barely doing anything other than making bubbles for the vast majority of the saga. At least Rowlet has some battle experience even as a gag Pokémon.

Rowlet has had some battles and I thought it was still pretty useful during the first couple of Grand Trials, but I don't know if learning something like Brave Bird is going to feel natural once I see it. There was just too much time in-between what battles it did have where it did virtually nothing but sleep.

I do wonder if folks like Rowlet simply because Ash owns it. I mean, if Mallow had gotten it instead, would Rowlet still be as popular?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom