• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Mega Evolutions do you think should of gotten a different ability than they already have?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
If there is a thread for this already I am sorry, I didn't see any like this while I was looking through the Mega Evolution threads. If there isn't just look away from this statement.

With mostly all of the Mega Evolution's, they effected the competitive scene and the main game. BUT there's always the few things you dislike them; in this case it's abilities. In most cases a lot of abilities are good in the competitive scene, but even still they don't make sense. Let me explain by showing examples.

Mega Charizard Y: Ability-Drought- Mega Charizard Y is one of most used Pokemon I see in the competitive scene along with Kangaskan. Yet why Drought as its Ability? Regular Charizard's hidden ability is Solar Power, where your attacks get boosted in the Sun. So I kind of want these abilities switch so Mega Charizard Y gets better benefits, it's just my opinion though.

Mega Scizor: Ability-Technician-Yes I know the freaking Bullet Punch strategies Tacticians, yet why should something Mega Evolve to something with the same ability as its regular form? It should have something like Adaptability which will power up Bullet Punch even more, or Heatproof to help protect it against its quad-weakness. There's a lot more abilities than Technician that can do better.

So anything you can think of that doesn't make sense on a Mega Evolution, just reply.
So have a nice day whenever you are reading this.

I'd give Mega Garchomp Sand Rush instead of Sand Force. It's still balanced cause Tyranitar/Hippowdon have sh*tty defensive synergy with Garchomp and sandstorm only lasts 8 turns max. And besides Garchomp doesn't need that Rock Steel and Ground attacks' boost. It's better than giving it Speed Boost because sandstorm still can be replaced with another climate. And it thematically fits.

Seeing there is now a bunch of chest hair in the front, Mega Sceptile with Grass Pelt would have been amazing. Would give it some bulk on top of the speed it gets, and overall turn it into a beast. Failing that, clorophyll and you know have a Solar Beam glass Cannon.

The main one I dislike is Sand Force on Mega Steelix. It should have gotten Magnet Pull, Arena Trap or Heatproof. Sand Force is complete ass and squanders its potential. Plus how can you design a Mega that has steel chunks orbiting it and not give it Magnet Pull...

Also Intimidate or Drought both seem more fitting for Mega Houndoom, given it's a hellhound, than on Mega Manectric or Zard Y. Solar Power is a bit too niche, so it's basically ability-less most of the time.

No Guard on Mega Pidgeot. It's useless. It only actually helps a single move, Hurricane, while leaving it wide open to 100% accuracy from any opponent attack. It sucks.

Mega Pidgeot would've been much better if it were given something more interesting and useful. Or at least a better moveset, and better stat boosts.

Tough Claws is a good ability for Mega Metagross, but rather than the power boost, I think Filter or Levitate would have been a better ability for balance. I rarely see Megagross get OHKO'd as it is already, but it could use the defense coverage.

No Guard on Mega Pidgeot. It's useless. It only actually helps a single move, Hurricane, while leaving it wide open to 100% accuracy from any opponent attack. It sucks.

Mega Pidgeot would've been much better if it were given something more interesting and useful. Or at least a better moveset, and better stat boosts.

The stat boosts and ability are fine, it just needs more less accurate moves. Focus Blast alone being added would be enough honestly.

No Guard Hurricane isn't that amazing but it's still pretty good considering how strong and dumb (30% confusion) Hurricane is combined with Pidgeot's high Speed.

The stat boosts and ability are fine, it just needs more less accurate moves. Focus Blast alone being added would be enough honestly.

No Guard Hurricane isn't that amazing but it's still pretty good considering how strong and dumb (30% confusion) Hurricane is combined with Pidgeot's high Speed.

True. Improve the movepool and there you go. Focus Blast would be the best addition probably.

mega Sceptiles lightinrod is good, but feels not enough. The typing, its weaknesses.
Speed is good, but if it would go in a diffrent line if it may get a secondary mega?
Fighting or Steel secondary type, both good for a more physical moveset?
(Heatproof, Scrappy, Sniper)
or rock? or flying?
See what moves they learn and could learn.(Mega Ampharos)
(If it gets its second mega make it water/poison(unexpected and game changer).
And naturaly faster)
(Liquid Ooze, Gooey and even Rain Dish would work if it would have Drizzle)

If there is a thread for this already I am sorry, I didn't see any like this while I was looking through the Mega Evolution threads. If there isn't just look away from this statement.

With mostly all of the Mega Evolution's, they effected the competitive scene and the main game. BUT there's always the few things you dislike them; in this case it's abilities. In most cases a lot of abilities are good in the competitive scene, but even still they don't make sense. Let me explain by showing examples.

Mega Charizard Y: Ability-Drought- Mega Charizard Y is one of most used Pokemon I see in the competitive scene along with Kangaskan. Yet why Drought as its Ability? Regular Charizard's hidden ability is Solar Power, where your attacks get boosted in the Sun. So I kind of want these abilities switch so Mega Charizard Y gets better benefits, it's just my opinion though.

Mega Scizor: Ability-Technician-Yes I know the freaking Bullet Punch strategies Tacticians, yet why should something Mega Evolve to something with the same ability as its regular form? It should have something like Adaptability which will power up Bullet Punch even more, or Heatproof to help protect it against its quad-weakness. There's a lot more abilities than Technician that can do better.

So anything you can think of that doesn't make sense on a Mega Evolution, just reply.
So have a nice day whenever you are reading this.
yes thats weird officially charizard has no secondary ability?
what would hapen if they want it to have drough also in non-mega state?
what if double drough after magaevolution would create extremely harsh sunlight like Desolated Land but only to the rest of the dyration of the first drough(first activation-5 turns, the second would activate harsh sunlight for the rest 4 turns)?

Last edited:
Compared to what Mega Gardevoir got, Mega Gallade's Inner Focus ability is underwhelming.
While it does stop Fake Out antics from the likes of Mega Lopunny, I'd personally have preferred something else.

Mega Audino's Healer is a complete joke, if it had to retain one its original abilities at least Regenerator would have given it a niche as the only Fairy type with the ability. Fur Coat would have been another option that could have compensated for its lower stats relative to other megas, and would have paired devastatingly well with Calm Mind. As it stands, it struggles to stand out even compared to non-mega Fairies like Aromatisse.

Mega Gallade is underwhelming compárese to Mega Gardevoir un terms of abilities. I think GF would have made it better if they gave it Fighting version of Pixilate (Pugilate, Gladiate, idk whatever).

frigginsandforce11_zpspstui0kt.png~original

magnet pull would have fit perfectly on it...

besides that

mega blaziken having speed boost is really boring considering it's basically just vblaziken without lorb recoil that can outspeed slightly more pokemon

mega mewtwo y should have gotten an ability that differentiated it more from vmewtwo

mega audino shouldn't have healer

besides that I think the abilities are fine

especially houndoom's and garchomp's
their suffering delights me

Mega Audino's Healer is a complete joke, if it had to retain one its original abilities at least Regenerator would have given it a niche as the only Fairy type with the ability. Fur Coat would have been another option that could have compensated for its lower stats relative to other megas, and would have paired devastatingly well with Calm Mind. As it stands, it struggles to stand out even compared to non-mega Fairies like Aromatisse.
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Audino: 128-152 (31.2 - 37%) -- 74.2% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Audino: 124-147 (30.2 - 35.8%) -- 40.7% chance to 3HKO

pls no

Last edited:
If Healer were to be buffed to be like Shed Skin (and have a % chance to heal the user), which I think it should be, then Audino wouldn't be half as bad. It could use Rest more reliably as a healing move without depending on Sleep Talk freeing up a moveslot. Which is the biggest thing its lacking atm. It certainly has the bulk to be a viable Rest user, just look at Suicune. And Pokemon like Scrafty can use the Shed Skin + Rest combo fine.

I think Regenerator on it would be over the top with its typing and bulk personally. A 103/126/126 Regenerating Fairy sounds like a pain in the ass. Then again I suppose it is a Mega.

And if I was Game Freak I'd shuffle its stats around a little to give it a bit more Sp.Atk. While I get it's meant to be a supporting Pokemon it's way too passive, especially for a Mega. But this is getting off-topic.

I concur the suggestions on Mega Audino. I am sure Healer has its uses, but it is pretty limited because it can only work on its partners and not itself. If it could work on itself, it would be much better. In terms of existing abilities, perhaps Magic Guard would be nice.

Thanks for reading.

Abomasnow, Snow Warning is good, really understand that weather lasts for 5 turns(could work a turn longer), but would really want a Terrain for Ice types (healing for ice only and rise of def and sp.def x1,5, a needed boost for this type) and a pokemon to summon it.(it has one slot left thanks to dream world.)

Most of them? LOL Sableye should've kept Prankster instead of Magic Bounce, for example. Mega Absol should've kept Super Luck or maybe Anticipation due to its lore. Speed Boost to the Lati's instead of that insipid Levitate. Serene Grace on both Audino and Diancie.

And this is just off the top of my head.

Most of them? LOL Sableye should've kept Prankster instead of Magic Bounce, for example. Mega Absol should've kept Super Luck or maybe Anticipation due to its lore. Speed Boost to the Lati's instead of that insipid Levitate. Serene Grace on both Audino and Diancie.

And this is just off the top of my head.
Yeah, the Latis are so bad as Megas (at least Latios, and both in design and in competitive, I don't really know what GF thinked when they thinked of the design and ability) that I normally forget about them when listing Megas. Maybe Latias could have its type changed to Fairy, learn Moonblast, and use Regenerator (so it can use the bulk better, and it can use Recover, so it fits a little bit). And Latios, in exchange for keeping Dragon/Psychic, fire nuke Draco Meteors that get boosted by Adaptability, and nuke Psyshocks that break special walls. And a redesign would be nice, and to learn freakin' Flamethrower wouldn't hurt...

Trace is kinda dull on Alakazam, outside of very timely and specific situations. Though I don't know what I would give it instead.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom