• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What moves/abilities did you hate/not care about but now like/love?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Since we have similar threads about Pokemon preferences, I figured this thread was in order. My question is simple: what moves/abilities did you hate/not care about but after using them now like/love?

Obviously, I'll start things off. In terms of moves, the Pledge moves were ones I didn't bother with in the past. Not only were they pretty weak back when first introduced (50 BP), but they were tag-team specific to unlock their full power, which seemed like a waste. However, during my X run, I decided I needed a new Water-type move for my Greninja. Water Pulse wasn't cutting it anymore, but I didn't want to use Surf, so I went with Water Pledge. I must admit I was rather impressed with it. Sure, I didn't have the ability (see: other Starters) to do combos, but 80 BP was nothing to sneeze at, and it got me through most of the game, including the bit with Team Flare. I was actually rather pleased with it. I did eventually replace it with Scald (since the chance of burn was favorable), but Water Pledge actually did a good job. I repeated that idea in OR with Fire Pledge on my Combusken, being my strongest Fire-type move until I got Blaze Kick as a Blaziken. So I've become a believer in the Pledge moves. While I may never be able to perform combo attacks with them, they do make pretty decent standalone moves, especially if they're obtained early enough.

In terms of abilities, Sap Sipper and Hydration were ones I generally dismissed. When it came to Sap Sipper, I didn't bother with it because I would usually use a Fire-type to take care of any Grass-types, so it didn't mean much to me. In terms of Hydration, I never use weather moves so it seemed like bit of a waste. However, when I ended up using Pokemon that had those abilities (namely Gogoat and Goodra), I started to see their value. Sap Sipper became quite useful against Foogus hordes, as well as facing trainers with a lot of Grass-types (not just Gym Leaders), while Hydration saved me some trouble in healing status ailments on the fly without wasting a turn on items. While I'll never be a true user of weather moves, Hydration did become bit of a favorite, especially when in locations where overworld rain was common, while Sap Sipper I've gained respect for.

Now what about you? What moves/abilities have you gained respect for after using them? Discuss.

Thunder Wave, Tackle, Cut, Waterfall, Own Tempo, and Limber - From dislike to like

Hyper Beam, Fire Blast, Blizzard, Thunder, Giga Drain, Aerial Ace, and Intimidate - From like to dislike.

I originally didn't care about Power-Up Punch until I taught it to a Technician Breloom in X. Rock Tomb's speed lowering effect went a long way towards relieving the need for Mach Punch anyway, and Spore helped with reliably gathering up those attack boosts.

Entrainment is another one thanks to a Double Battle combo I concocted. Plus Dedenne with a Charizard. Mega Evolve with the Charizardite Y and set up sunlight, then use Dedenne's Entrainment to replace the now useless Drought with Plus to boost the Special Attack of both Pokémon. Dedenne just barely outspeeds Charizard by 1 point to the base Speed stat.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom