• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

What names do you choose for your rival

RavenRaziel98

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him/his
In many of the games you get to decide how the name of your rival will be. Do you have any "favorites" or "traditions" (like always using the same name or using names of friends/family members)? What names do you use?

When I was younger I usually used the name of my brother but at one point I just started to give them unusual and old fashioned (mostly german) names like Lutz, Eberhard, Heinrich, Horst or Jürgen because I considered it funnier.

Hydrogenium

Reaction score
Pronouns
ae/aer
Usually one of the default names, he was Blue in Red, Silver in Crystal, Gary in FireRed (if I remember it correctly, we all know that rival's name is pretty forgettable) and Gerd in German LeafGreen.

FelipePR

Reaction score
Cannon or default name too. I consider that I lack inspiration

Esserise

Operating without a T-437
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
Usually the canonical/default name, unless I’m imagining the protagonist as a distinct character rather than a self-insert of myself. In that case, I’ll try to come up with a theme - like if I’m playing White 2, and I name Rosa “Daily,” I’ll name Hugh “Nightly.” (Which is an example of another thing I’m fond of, is taking words that don’t seem like names at all, but over the course of saying them so much throughout the playthrough, they begin to sound more plausible as names.)

PinkIceFox

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
The default name.

Except in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. That annoying character gets named Pest, Idgit, or something similar.

PikachuSmasher

"Nai! Try! LETS HAVE A FIGHT!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Let’s see, I usually name myself God or Arceus so it’s hilarious when my rival says “Hey God”, hence I name it mortal. The best was in Red/Blue, Professor Oak’s dialogues really insulted his own grandson

pokemoll

woman on the screen
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
When I was little I'd always name him after my male best friend; nowadays I usually name them after my boyfriend. I can't quite remember what I'd named my rivals in the in-between period between those two... maybe after a fictional character I had a crush on?

RavenRaziel98

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him/his
I used one of the recommended names because they were hilarious. Lutz was already a good one, but after I saw Jochen in the list I knew exactly what I had to do. Maybe I will use Karsten or Gerd for SP :D

Plaid

⭐ Heart Topic ⭐
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I tend to just go with the characters' canon names, too. lol A one-off case in the original Diamond was when I named him "Tyson" due to not knowing his canon name at the time, but every restart since then, it's always been Barry.
It's for the same reason I can never bring myself to nickname legendary Pokemon: to me, no other name really... fits, y'know?

Neyo

A Clown of Silksong (and ducks)
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Bohr. Because they’re a real bore, am I right? cue laughtrack

prog rocker

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
Default names, mostly because I have trouble coming up with names.

Juliko

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
I don't really give my rivals specific names for any reason. I just give them whichever names sound cool. Though for BDSP, I named my female MC Cosette and the rival Marius, as around the time I was playing the original DPPt games, I was heavily into watching the Les Miserables anime. Yes, there's an actual Les Mis anime.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.