• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What names do you prefer? The English names, or the Japanese translated names?

What names do you prefer?

• Total voters
I learned the English names for the characters in the anime first but when the black & white games came out, I learned Tepig's Japanese name first so I always call Tepig Pokabu.

ENGLISH is the only prefernce. unless the japanese name is also the english name such as Pikachu, Zoroark, ect

I prefer the original Japanese (romaji) names, they sound better, in my opinion.
Plus, I watch the anime with the original Japanese audio, so I am more used to the original names as well.

Not that I have problems in using the English ones, of course.

English. It's not that I don't like the Japanese names, it's just that they're really stupid when translated. (I'm refering to Gens I & II)

I have always prefered the English names straight from day 1. Even if an English name is stupid, I find no point in not using it. It's already out there and hiding won't help.

I only know the English Pokemon names, but for the Generation 5 characters, I'm used to the Japanese names. I like how they sound in my head, but I have no idea how they're actually pronounced, I often even emphasize the English ones the wrong way.

Japanese, by far. Isshu sounds much better than Unova, and many of the character and Pokemon names sound much better in their Japanese in names.

How dare they butcher Mijumaru's cute name with Oshawott? Heathens!

English. Because English is my main language, and if I only play the English versions of the games, where's the logic in using the Japanese names? And if I don't like an English name, I'll just live with it, as there's no point using all English names but then using Isshu instead of Unova. But obviously before the English names are revealed, I'll have to use the Japanese names, and it'll take me a while to get used to the English names. Like, for example, after using Japanese names for the Gen V Pokemon for months, it took me a few weeks to get completely used to the English names. But now, I can't remember many of the Japanese names (like, say, I can't remember Eelektross's Japanese name).

I prefer the English names because they're easier for me to memorize (it took me just a few weeks to memorize all the Generation 5 Pokemon names as opposed to the three months that it took me to memorize their Japanese names), but I still like some of the Japanese names; Mijumaru sounds better than Oshawott imo.

I prefer the English names, especially when it comes down to Pokémon names. Most of them might be punny, but in my opinion they're generally better than the Japanese ones (Sandshrew > Sand), though there are some bad English names too (I'm looking at you, Seel and friends) :p

I prefer the Japanese names, but I use the English names because they're easier to remember!

My friend and I were talking about this earlier last week. I hated the English starter names when they first came out, Oshawott in particular, but now I think it's the best of the starter names and much cooler than Mijumaru/Mijimaru. *still snivy < Tustarja < Smugleaf imo* My friend, however, thought otherwise, and named her Oshawott Daikenki so she didn't have to deal with Samurott (which she apparently initially thought had to do with rotting bananas).

These days it's the Japanese names I tend to remember first due to memorization that I've never done with the English names, regardless. I think Kirikizan is a better name than Bisharp, and I liked the name Minezumi for Patrat enough that I named my Drilbur Zumi (which I then traded away for a Drilbur named Troper, haha).

I prefer the Japanese names and version. They aren't products of *:uhoh:* you know which evil organization I was going to mention....

It really depends. The English names are more familiar to me because I play the games in English, but the Japanese aren't bad.

Generally, when talking about the anime, I use Japanese names, and when talking about the games, I use English names. I don't really have much of a preference toward either specifically, other than a few English names for both Pokemon and characters that I really dislike.

Only the final evolution, Daikenki / Samurott, has a good English name, in my opinion, it references its design.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom