• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What new type do you think would be cool to introduce in SW/SH/future games?

ShinyShrew

Reaction score
I'm really hoping they bring back the Beast type. For those of you who don't know, way back in Gen 1 there was supposed to be another type that got cut later in design, hence why Arcanine is the “legendary Pokèmon” because Arcanine was originally going to be Fire/Beast type.

I don't think we'll see any, because the type chart is already very cumbersome and hard to follow as it is.

That said, I still think that a Cyber type would be thematically distinct enough from any of the others while also covering a broad-enough range of concepts to potentially merit its own category. It could have an edge against Fairy while being weak to Bug (because of "bugs" in technology lol), and the Porygon line could be retconned into it.

I'm really hoping they bring back the Beast type. For those of you who don't know, way back in Gen 1 there was supposed to be another type that got cut later in design, hence why Arcanine is the “legendary Pokèmon” because Arcanine was originally going to be Fire/Beast type.
I've never heard about this and nothing comes up on Google. Specifically, Helix Chamber never mentions an unused type except for Bird.

I think any new "types" are better off as sub-categories of moves, like how sound moves are.
I agree with this. There should totally be a "light" category, where Pokemon without eyes and stuff should be immune (or at least resist). Obviously stuff like flash, signal beam, maybe even dazzling gleam, would fit in.

Don't see it happening, but it's a neat idea. It's always bothered me that things like sand attack work on the likes of Zubat or Roggenrola.

Beast? Normal is enough, we have although Fighting... there is a Monster egg group...

I could see only a Alien or Cosmic type and give bugs or ice a or resistance/immunity to it making them SE on alien in the same time and make Alien immune to fairy type moves. Alien could resist psychic, dark, ground.

But we would need 2 to make it whole 20 types... The second after alien comes the Fungus type(Muschroom type) but would be problematic... very problematic... a light type but fairy takes this niche good.... Zombie type? would be different then ghost... but very problematic...

Maybe avoiding new types is better for the future? Bc with every new type evryone complaines too much.

I would rather see old types paired with Abilities like Bulletproof, Soundproof, Damp, Aftermath, Cursed Body, Disquise and new abilities.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll see any, because the type chart is already very cumbersome and hard to follow as it is.

That said, I still think that a Cyber type would be thematically distinct enough from any of the others while also covering a broad-enough range of concepts to potentially merit its own category. It could have an edge against Fairy while being weak to Bug (because of "bugs" in technology lol), and the Porygon line could be retconned into it.
A cyber type could definitely work and it would cover the niche of Pokémon being created by modern day technology (emphasis on modern day, so pokemon like klink and Magearna remain steel types).

Porygon would be obvious, but I’d also retcon Pokémon like Silvally, Genesect, and the voltorb line to this type as well. Maybe Mewtwo would fit since he was made in a lab.

as for type interactions:

Strong against: Fairy (Magic vs Science, with science winning), Electric (Modern day tech is powered by electricity)

Weak against: Bug (for the reason you stayed), Poison (Viruses and Malware), Dark (References to stuff like trolling, doxxing, and hacking)

Resists: Fairy, Electric, Cyber, Psychic (anything a human mind can process, a machine can process faster)

Not very effective against: Normal (Technology is made by normal human beings), Cyber, Bug, Ice (Slow internet speeds, lol).

Angel (not like halo and wings angel, im talking about not of this earth stuff (ex: nge angels, or something) it'd be cool to see a mythical or a legendary type pokemon that was Angel

A cosmic/alien type. It would work for Clefable and Deoxys and maybe even Unown if they get evos in the future.

I think cyber really works. that and maybe alien would definitely be the last frontiers. pretty much everything else has been covered already so more after that would be unneeded and likely go into redundant territory.

None. I feel we have enough typings that can be 'properly attributed'. Stuff like Sound-types I feel are more 'characteristics' than an actual type you can properly attribute.

The only typing I can see is Beast-type, really.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom