• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

What odd pokemon game did you love?

Am I getting dabbed on by a Stunfisk?
Reaction score
I've only ever watched a playthrough of PokéPark 2, but it definitely does have some charms.

I'm still making my way through Detective Pikachu, but I do think it's great, except in terms of actual gameplay mechanics (but for what it is, that's not a big deal to me).

Magikarp Jump was very cute until I started hitting a can't-easily-progress-without-microtransactions wall.

And the speed quizzes in Pokédex 3D Pro were a fun little way to kill time back in the day.

Eta: People are mentioning PMD; I do adore those games as well but I feel like they're probably the most well-known Pokémon spin-offs other than the Orre games, so they don't really strike me as some "odd," quirky thing. They've got a very devoted fanbase.

Last edited:
Stuck
Reaction score
I loved the Stadium and Orre games, although I wouldn't call them odd. They use main series mechanics, after all.

Detective Pikachu was charming and Masters is fun in small doses.

Reaction score
I loved the Stadium and Orre games, although I wouldn't call them odd. They use main series mechanics, after all.
Well, the Orre game can be considered odd for other reasons. They had a completely different artstyle and the characters in the English and Japanese versions had weird names (and in one case, an unfortunate one).

Reaction score
Picross was a guilty pleasure. But it was because of the puzzles, as the gameplay was kinda mean with the game forcing you to go through that daily training every day. I liked guessing what Pokémon was in the picture and spending 30 minutes to complete a legendary picture was satisfying. I hope there's a sequel some day, hopefully a full-priced one.

the power of fluffy boys shines within you
Reaction score
i don't know if mystery dungeon is odd, but i love it. detective pikachu is great too

Reaction score
I loved the Pokemon Ranger series, I definitely wish we'd had a couple of more of them.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Pokepark 2. That game has such a good foundation for a Pokemon spinoff. You've got sandbox style levels, you've got real time battling, you've got mulitple characters with field abilities that help you explore the overworld, there's a lot of good elements here that I'd love to see expanded on.

Reaction score
Magikarp Jump kind of ruled. It was basically a normal Pokemon game but every Pokemon was a different variation of Magikarp. And I loved decorating. It even had a ghost girl, thus cementing itself as a real Pokemon game to me.

Ticking Time Bomb
Reaction score
Not sure which of the following you'd define as odd, but i'm gonna say non main series games.

PMD's up to and including Explorers of Sky
XD: Gale of Darkness & Colloseum
Ranger: Shadows of Almia (This was my favourite ranger game)
I remember enjoying Battle Revolution when I was younger, even though I never linked up my party and always used the rental / preset ones.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Does the GB Pokemon Trading Card game count? I really liked it back when it released, but also replayed it maybe around a decade ago. I'm sad it's sequel never came out in the west.

Shine on, you Crazy Diamond~
Reaction score
When I was young, I liked Pokemon Dash. I hate it now.

I also remember battling my Friends on Pokemon Battle Revolution, as one of them had a Wii.

red sphere
Reaction score
Magikarp Jump kind of ruled. It was basically a normal Pokemon game but every Pokemon was a different variation of Magikarp. And I loved decorating. It even had a ghost girl, thus cementing itself as a real Pokemon game to me.
I really liked Magikarp Jump too! It's one of those games you check into every few hours when you're on the bus or between classes.

My love for that game exists because of the little events, especially the ones like the berry tree one, where
your Magikarp jumps into a tree to get a berry and gets abducted by a Pidgeotto and is just gone forever. The fish you raised from a small level 1 is presumably dead or being eaten alive or something, and your player just replaces it immediately with another Magikarp
It's so weirdly unexpected, and it amuses me. I want to see the different variations of Magikarp in another game someday too.

Reaction score
The Dream Radar. It's oddly fun to me even now although I hardly play Black2/White2 anymore. I just think that the AR aspect is really cool even though its limited.

웃♥유
Reaction score
The original Pokemon Pinball. It's such a pointless game in hindsight, but I think it's the best side game in the entire franchise.

Coordinator
Reaction score
Watching all my Pokemon-as-Miis waddle around in My Pokemon Ranch was absolutely delightful to me in 2008 and I don't care what anyone else says about it. In fact if it turns out Pokemon Home is just a spiritual successor to My Pokemon Ranch, Mii graphics and all, I will be 1,000% cool with that.