• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What odd pokemon game did you love?

I've only ever watched a playthrough of PokéPark 2, but it definitely does have some charms.

I'm still making my way through Detective Pikachu, but I do think it's great, except in terms of actual gameplay mechanics (but for what it is, that's not a big deal to me).

Magikarp Jump was very cute until I started hitting a can't-easily-progress-without-microtransactions wall.

And the speed quizzes in Pokédex 3D Pro were a fun little way to kill time back in the day.

Eta: People are mentioning PMD; I do adore those games as well but I feel like they're probably the most well-known Pokémon spin-offs other than the Orre games, so they don't really strike me as some "odd," quirky thing. They've got a very devoted fanbase.

Last edited:
I loved the Stadium and Orre games, although I wouldn't call them odd. They use main series mechanics, after all.
Well, the Orre game can be considered odd for other reasons. They had a completely different artstyle and the characters in the English and Japanese versions had weird names (and in one case, an unfortunate one).

Picross was a guilty pleasure. But it was because of the puzzles, as the gameplay was kinda mean with the game forcing you to go through that daily training every day. I liked guessing what Pokémon was in the picture and spending 30 minutes to complete a legendary picture was satisfying. I hope there's a sequel some day, hopefully a full-priced one.

I loved the Pokemon Ranger series, I definitely wish we'd had a couple of more of them.

Pokepark 2. That game has such a good foundation for a Pokemon spinoff. You've got sandbox style levels, you've got real time battling, you've got mulitple characters with field abilities that help you explore the overworld, there's a lot of good elements here that I'd love to see expanded on.

Magikarp Jump kind of ruled. It was basically a normal Pokemon game but every Pokemon was a different variation of Magikarp. And I loved decorating. It even had a ghost girl, thus cementing itself as a real Pokemon game to me.

Not sure which of the following you'd define as odd, but i'm gonna say non main series games.

PMD's up to and including Explorers of Sky
XD: Gale of Darkness & Colloseum
Ranger: Shadows of Almia (This was my favourite ranger game)
I remember enjoying Battle Revolution when I was younger, even though I never linked up my party and always used the rental / preset ones.

Does the GB Pokemon Trading Card game count? I really liked it back when it released, but also replayed it maybe around a decade ago. I'm sad it's sequel never came out in the west.

When I was young, I liked Pokemon Dash. I hate it now.

I also remember battling my Friends on Pokemon Battle Revolution, as one of them had a Wii.

Magikarp Jump kind of ruled. It was basically a normal Pokemon game but every Pokemon was a different variation of Magikarp. And I loved decorating. It even had a ghost girl, thus cementing itself as a real Pokemon game to me.

I really liked Magikarp Jump too! It's one of those games you check into every few hours when you're on the bus or between classes.

My love for that game exists because of the little events, especially the ones like the berry tree one, where
your Magikarp jumps into a tree to get a berry and gets abducted by a Pidgeotto and is just gone forever. The fish you raised from a small level 1 is presumably dead or being eaten alive or something, and your player just replaces it immediately with another Magikarp
It's so weirdly unexpected, and it amuses me. I want to see the different variations of Magikarp in another game someday too.

The Dream Radar. It's oddly fun to me even now although I hardly play Black2/White2 anymore. I just think that the AR aspect is really cool even though its limited.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom