• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokémon Are Native To What Region?

8BitPoipole

Ghosts and Fairies are kinda my jam
Reaction score
I've always wondered this, and I want other people's opinions on this too.
It's mostly Kanto and Johto that makes me wonder this, because some Pokémon introduced in Gen 1 can't be found in the wild in Kanto, same with some Gen 2 Pokémon.
Examples

Gen 1: Jynx, Lickitung, Farfetch'd, Scyther, Pinsir, Exeggcute, Kangaskhan and Dratini are Johto native
Mr Mime is Sinnoh native
Gen 2: Murkrow, Misdreavus and Houndour and Kanto native

What Pokémon do you think are native to other regions? And why?
I do have a theory that all Pokémon that get new evolved forms in DP are Sinnoh native but there isn't enough evidence to back that up.

I don't think it matters, something always gets unexplained. I just ignore it all.

A long while back I undertook a personal project where I documented native Pokemon by region in Google Docs. The spreadsheet counted both original games, revisited regions and remakes. Any Pokemon that could be found wild in that region was considered native, and I included evolved forms too even if they technically couldn't be found wild.

I never finished it though, got too busy with other things. I think I was also going to include the Orange Islands (but ignore the rest of the anime) and regions from spin-off games too for completion sake.

^I did this once too. Had an excel document where I checked off if they were found in certain regions. I wouldn't count safari zones, requiring a GBA game in the DS's GBA slot, and other things like that. I counted starters as native to the region they were given out in my head canon being that they were native there but now are mostly bred in captivity due to their rarity. I included the sevii islands but only followed the main video game regions.

): I lost the document in a computer crash. I do plan on making it over again though. ^0^

There were quite a few 'Kanto' pokemon that are not-native to the region though. Kangaskhan for example. So far it is really only native to Kalos in Glittering Cave. It was imported into the Kanto Safari Zone (which is closed by HG/SS), the Johto Safari Zone, and the Sinnoh Great Marsh. It was accidentally introduced to Unovan Route 15 (according to a Pokemon ranger NPC- a few pokemon are not native to the route) but was cleaned up by the time of B2/W2.

In Kanto, however, by the time of HG/SS Kangaskhan have made their home in Rock Tunnel.

It's my headcanon that, after Baoba closed the Kanto Safari Zone, instead of making sure all the pokemon were imported to his new Safari Zone in Johto, some escaped. The Kangaskhan found the closest counterpart to their original home. Glittering Cave and Rock Tunnel share similar elements. Breakable rocks, out of the way location, some similar native pokemon... basically, Kangaskhan have been accidentally made native to Kanto.

Why yes, I do have too much free time and like pokemon way too much. ;)

Will Kangeskan is mostly in the kanto if you ask Me, but I think Maril Should be in the Second season, and Togepy should be in the Kanto, but as Jukain said "Something always gets unexplained. I just ignore it all", but to me I think that this thing is matter sometimes, and not matter sometimes such as Lugia should be in the kanto, and Mew sometime I feel should be in the jhoto, but Mostly I feel that Mew Belong to the Kanto

The Porigon, and Poligon evolutions are the one that we should find a place for them; because I feel that It belong to Kanto, Jhoto, and Sinnoh, and The same with Togopy, and Togopy Evolutions

Well, according to the games, Porygon was created by the pokemon lab in Cinnabar. That would place it's origins in Kanto. However, due to the program having become prolific, it could theoretically be anywhere in the world.

Well, according to the games, Porygon was created by the pokemon lab in Cinnabar. That would place it's origins in Kanto. However, due to the program having become prolific, it could theoretically be anywhere in the world.

Well, this what I meant; because As I said :"he Porigon, and Poligon evolutions are the one that we should find a place for them; because I feel that It belong to Kanto, Jhoto, and Sinnoh, and The same with Togopy, and Togopy Evolutions" Which is mostly nearby to be like what you said

@BrandonHappened: Misdreavus isn't technically in Kanto in GSC; it's found at Mt. Silver, which according to the Pokégear, is Johto territory. Although Slugma is found only in Kanto in GSC.

We know for a fact that Togepi isn't native to Johto. Elm tells us that in HGSS. The only other place where it has been available in the wild is Sinnoh, via the Poké Radar. I'd assume this goes for Bonsly, too, with the Sudowoodo in Johto and Hoenn being one-offs. Although you can find wild Sudowoodo in Kalos and wild Bonsly in Alola.

Corphish's Pokédex entry tells us that it didn't originate in Hoenn; it was brought from somewhere else. The other regions that it appears in are Sinnoh (although it isn't in the Regional Dex), Unova (but only variably in White Forest, and in B2W2 where it's presumably just a new invasive species from the Poké Transfer Lab accident), and Kalos (where it appears commonly).

Exeggutor's Pokédex entry says that it originally came from the tropics, although this probably doesn't mean Alola, since the Alola Form is explicitly described as a change in Exeggutor's form.

For Unova, you kind of have to do the opposite. We can infer that most of the B2W2 additions are there because of the Poké Transfer Lab outbreak (although the older Legendary Pokémon are another matter), but there were still some older Pokémon available in BW in the post-game, and I doubt that the outbreak affected the region that quickly. So I'd assume that the likes of Lapras and Dratini may also be found naturally in Unova as well as other regions.

Last edited:
I remember doing this kind of thing once in a while for fun. I'll probably do a big review latter on especially since now we have the addition of regional variants.

My headcanons for this:

Originally from outside Shoyo (Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Shinnoh)
  • The Regi Trio were actually gifts from the Holocaust survivors who now reside in Hebria-Palestina in the Middle East. This is due to the Shoyoese (Poke-Japanese) Republican rebels (who rebelled against the Imperial Government and joined the Allies during the Pokeverse version of WWII) aided the refugees in escaping from the Teutonian (Poke-German) Nazis. For the matter, one of the first rabbis within the first Jewish immigrants to Unova also brought his Regis with him, and the Regis are kept safe in the sanctuary by the thriving Unovan Jewish community.
  • Bulbasaur was introduced by the visiting premier from a South East Asian country when the nation normalised its diplomatic relations with Shoyo after WWII. They are breeded in Oak's lab for upcoming trainers.
  • Kangaskahn was, on the other hand, was introduced by the Antipodean (Poke-Australian) Government in a similar fashion to the above bullet point.
Originally within Shoyo
  • The Pokémon weaponization program by the Imperial Shoyoese Government resulted in mass-capturings of Sawks, Throhs, Darumakas, and Greninjas; many of them died from the ravages of the war. They are now considered extinct and have been delisted from the Shoyoese regions' Pokedexes. However, some Shoyoese immigrants to the United States of Columbia raised and breeded the above Pokémon, and the strays gradually populated the Unovan State. Some strays species can also be found in Kalos when Shoyo introduced her Pokémon to the various Expositions Universelle in Illumis/Lumiose during the 19th Century.
Migrates between different countries including Shoyo
  • Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are birds migrating around the world, signifying the different seasons.
  • Groudon and Kyogre also migrate around the Asia-Pacific oceanbed.
  • The Kami Trio also travel around the skies above various oceans.

Since Porygon is artificial, I don't think it's "native" to anywhere. @Esserise Where does it say it was created on Cinnabar Island?

Since you can only get one Riolu in Sinnoh, from an egg given to you by a (probably) rich guy, but Lucario is everywhere in X and Y, my headcanon is that it's native to Kalos.

Where does it say it was created on Cinnabar Island?

I think you tagged the wrong user (my post doesn't say anything about Porygon), but I do happen to know the answer. There's a memo on one of the desks in the Silph Co. building which state that Porygon was created at the Pokémon Lab, which is the place on Cinnabar Island where you go to restore your fossils and such.

Since you can only get one Riolu in Sinnoh, from an egg given to you by a (probably) rich guy, but Lucario is everywhere in X and Y, my headcanon is that it's native to Kalos.

Although there are also Riolu in the Challenger's Cave in Unova*, and in Poni Grove in Alola. That is the same number of locations at which it's found as in XY.

* In the original BW games, at that. Given that Challenger's Cave is quite a distance away from the immediate area of the Poké Transfer Lab accident, I will again point out that the Riolu in Unova may therefore not be foreign to the region after all, though their appearance in the cave is rare. But of course, Challenger's Cave collapsed in between games, which could possibly have prompted the Riolu to migrate elsewhere (ultimately ending up in the Floccesy Ranch, assuming that there weren't also examples of the species there to begin with, which we can't determine since that area of Unova was inaccessible in BW).

I think you tagged the wrong user (my post doesn't say anything about Porygon), but I do happen to know the answer. There's a memo on one of the desks in the Silph Co. building which state that Porygon was created at the Pokémon Lab, which is the place on Cinnabar Island where you go to restore your fossils and such.
Oops! Thanks anyway. @Jukain

I wonder about other "modern" pokemon.
I guess Voltorb would be technically Kanto native and spread quickly accross Silph's subsidiaries along pokéball shipments.

Also a thing with Gen I and II is that a few Gen I pokemon were heavily implied to not be really native to Kanto, or at least very rare. In particular Jinx and Dratini are exceedingly rare and not found on normal locations. And the same for everything in the Safari Zone.
Meanwhile Johto had these pokémon specifically nested in locations in the region. Ice Path is full of Jinx, there's the Dragon's Den, even Scyther is in the National Park.

However, one has to wonder how much Johto and Kanto are really a distinct region, since it seems to me more like industrialization might've displaced the natural habitats that still thrive in Johto.

I know that retcons are a thing, but in Gen 1, they were all like, "there are 150 Pokémon!" Since we find out later that the other Pokémon aren't "discovered", they just live in different places, does that mean that Kantonians are incredibly jingoistic? =P

Exeggutor's definitely native to Alola.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of Pokemon in Alola (and not just the ones with Alolan Forms) are not native to Alola. It's likely that a lot of them were brought by the original Polynesian settlers - in real-world Hawaii, some animals and plants didn't exist in Hawaii prior to human settlement. I think Rockruff might be a good example since dogs arrived in Hawaii with the Polynesians. (Not to mention introduced animals were part of the reason why many of Hawaii's native birds went extinct.) Others might have been brought by settlers from other regions such as Kanto, Johto, and Unova.

Yungoos/Gumshoos is probably native to whatever the Pokemon world's equivalent of India would be, as Hawaii's mongoose population was brought over from India.

It's possible that many people from Kanto might think of themselves as superior to people from other regions. Considering Kanto is based on the area around Tokyo (Japan's capital), it's not surprising. It's that way in a lot of countries - for example, a lot of Parisians think they're better than people from other parts of France. But that's a whole other topic...

I consider the starter Pokémon to be all native to the same region, which will be the last Pokémon region introduced, likely in the tenth generation. Other Pokémon native to said region are Togepi, Riolu, Zorua, Eevee, and Larvesta. The "Pseudo-Legendaries" are also somewhat more common than in the other regions, and there is a ninja village that raises and breeds Battle Bond Froakies that evolve into Battle Bond Greninjas. Battle Bond Froakies are also easily found in the wild at the same place as Torrent Froakies are, but Battle Bond Froakies are rarer than Torrent Froakies.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom