• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What pokemon are your HM slaves?

Lombre is my only HM slave in ORAS. It has Surf, Strength, Waterfall & Rock Smash. Rock Smash is the only one I resent because a fighting move would be handy but Rock Smash is so underpowered compared to the others. Unfortunately I need it to get to secret bases, items & fossils. At least the EXP item lets it keep up with the rest of my team even though I haven't used it since I got Kyogre.

I've given up using other HM slaves because I've needed 3 on my team at some points. I've no intention of battling competitively so it's not the end of the world if my main team have a HM each. I'd rather play with my favourites than 1 over levelled Pokemon, a backup, a catcher and three HM slaves I don't like.

Swanna was a great HM slave in Unova. I loved to team her with a telepathic Munna and drown everything in one go.

I don't really use official HM slaves. Usually while going through the game I naturally catch a lot of Pokemon, so whenever I need to use an HM move in the field I'll just go to the PC, grab a random Pokemon that can learn the move I need, HM it, get to where I need to go, then re-box it.

Aye that's what I've been doing - though in the past I've actually just spread them, so like had one Pokemon on my team with Cut and etc.

Fly, Surf and Waterfall are usually usable enough and I used to use Strength too, till I waned to diversify a little more and before it was changed to the rocks staying in the ground forever

2) No pokemon can learn them all anyway.

Mew.

And I think Dragonite can learn them all

oh and Smeargle ;o

Last edited:
Linoone, Bibarel, Tropius, Diggersby. Whoever is available and learns what I need. After I loot all the goodies I try to stay away from those HM areas.

I try my best to evenly distribute the HMs among the team members and delete unneeded HMs as I progress in the story. Post-game though, someone will keep Surf, Fly, and possibly Strength. Here were my latest users in Alpha Sapphire, Y, White 2, and Black respectively:

Surf: Sharpedo, Dragalge, Huntail, Samurott
Fly: Skarmory, Talonflame, Crobat, none (I used some Tranquill whenever necessary during the story)
Strength: Breloom, Chestnaught, Excadrill, Scrafty

Not once have I ever had an HM slave... I've always thought that was kind of mean(yes, I know they're fictional digital creatures in a videogame, but still). I usually try to evenly distribute the HM's among my core team, having at LEAST 1 per 'mon. I usually don't have a problem with moves like Strength, Fly, Surf, Waterfall, and Dive, because they are all good moves for even League battles, especially if you teach Strength to a Normal-type powerhouse that you may have on your team.

2) No pokemon can learn them all anyway.

Mew.

And I think Dragonite can learn them all

oh and Smeargle ;o

Anyone caught with a HM slave Mew needs a slap upside the head.

I watched some guy's play through - the first part anyway - and he got an event Mew as he started it. He was like "I don't really wanna use this Mew... so I'm gonna use it as a HM slave". I skipped to the last part and it was still in his team - and did have the 4 HM moves.

I use Kyogre in Alpha Sapphire, mostly because it can learn all of the water-based HM's and looks awesome to surf/dive on.

Not once have I ever had an HM slave... I've always thought that was kind of mean(yes, I know they're fictional digital creatures in a videogame, but still). I usually try to evenly distribute the HM's among my core team, having at LEAST 1 per 'mon. I usually don't have a problem with moves like Strength, Fly, Surf, Waterfall, and Dive, because they are all good moves for even League battles, especially if you teach Strength to a Normal-type powerhouse that you may have on your team.

Yep! The only exceptions I ever make are allowing a Tentacool for Dive and Waterfall in Hoenn, and allowing a low level bird for Fly in any region if I don't have a flying type (because that's the one convenience I won't give up). Other than that I force myself to fit all the necessary HM moves onto the team of pokemon I actually intend to use in the game, even Rock Smash most of the time. We're personifying emotionless data, but that's the fun part of the game!

In Alpha Sapphire I have an HM Shark, which I use cause it's a shark jetski. Is the best HM slave I've ever had by virtue of being a Sharpedo.

I've also used Tropius, Braviary, Furret, and various other far less important slaves.

Rarely have I ever used an HM slave, I try NOT to because I'd rather not have a Pokemon I have no interest in training taking up a slot in my party. My most consistent use is a Geodude Rock Smash slave in D/P/Pt for getting from Orbourgh City to Floroma Town/Eterna City.

Alpha Sapphire has actually been the game I've least needed slaves in for a very long time. In Rustburo City after receiving the Stone Badge I used a Zigzagoon as a cut slave to reach the blocked off areas outside of Rusturf tunnel and in Petalsburg woods and so far that's been it. I've even managed to fit Rock Smash into my team (on my Mightyena) which I haven't done in years if I ever have at all.
Though this is largely due to the fact that in Hoenn almost every single area accessible by using Rock Smash, Cut and Strength are optional.

I've never really had a HM slave. I just distribute the HMs through out my party in whatever way that is least inconvenient. Granted I don't do this out of love or anything. I just don't like the idea of having to stop by the PC or having a party slot filled by deadweight.

After playing ORAS I realised that Linoone is basically a Swiss army knife.

ORAS: During my playthrough, I used a Hariyama for Surf and Rock Smash, leaving the other two water HMs to my Swampert. Now, I use a Kyurem as an HM slave, because it learns Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, and Fly. For water HMs I of course have a Sharpedo like everyone else with this game.

Last edited:
Considering that ORAS has the Eon Flute, I luckily don't need a Fly-slave any more, but Marill does the job for the other HMs I need.

Mine is my gernija T: even tho it has protean i have, Rock smash, water fall, surf and dive on it XD

Linoone and Sharpedo for me in OR.
Linoone for Cut/Rock-Smash/Strength + Dig
Sharpedo for Surf/Waterfall/Dive + Secret power. Sharpedo surfs at 2x the speed of other pokemon and has it's own surfing/diving sprite. the only minus is that you can't fish on it's back.
Then I just soar instead of flying. It's like game freak knew that people wouldn't like a ton of hms anymore so they lightened it a little by adding soaring.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom