• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon do you give specific genders to?

Goffik_Lolita

Reaction score
I know that there are a ton of Pokemon that seem like they'd be one gender over the other. Dragonair always seemed like a very feminine and elegant Pokemon, but then it evolves into Dragonite and gets all fat and dopey looking... The Abra family also seems very masculine to me (it must be the mustaches) Arcanine seems more masculine to me, but Vulpix and Ninetales are both much more feminine. What about you? What Pokemon do you normally thing look like a specific gender?

I don't give my Pokemon a gender if they already have one, but I always seem to get Pokemon that are the opposite gender of what you would expect. The best one was the time I got a female Machamp in Soulsilver. :lol: Sometimes I sort of give genders to the genderless Pokemon on my team though. For example, my Porygons in Platinum are male, my Magnezone in White 2 is female, and Giratina is female.

I only have gender preferences if the Pokemon has gender differences and one looks significantly better. Unfezant and Jellicent always have to be male, because the male form just looks so much better. The opposite is true for Roserade, I much prefer the longer "cape" the female has.

As for seeing particular Pokemon species in terms of masculinity and femininity, I don't really put a lot of thought into it. Human concepts like that don't make an awful lot of sense applied to non-human creatures unless they looks particularly human like.

I usually rely on the gender shown next to the name, it doesn't bother me which i get (even when breeding because i almost always breed with Ditto only).

The only time i notice is when this comes out of my mouth:
"Why did that attack miss? You bastard! ...oh i mean you bitch."

I only ever think about it in terms of extremely feminine Pokémon like Gardevoir, Gothitelle, and Sylveon. I usually just assume they are girls... Although now that I think about it, my Gardevoir is a guy DX

I also assign genders to legends pretty much based solely on appearance, like Suicune is a girl while Raikou and Entei are clearly dudes, and Reshiram is a girl and Zekrom is a guy... ect.

Not much.

Though I do get a giggle or two when my most "manly" looking pokemon end up being female, like Honchkrow or Stoutland.

Strangely enough I never manage to catch male Purrloins, I always only get females. Hmm.

My teams usually end up being mostly male, except for obviously feminine Mons as some have already said. My current team, for instance, is all male except for Kirlia. Maybe it's the influence of watching the Anime when I was younger? Every mon there seems to male unless explicitly stated otherwise (and usually a bow or other accessory added to denote this.)

Exceptions tend to occur if it's really hard to find Pokemon (the Munchlax I caught in Pearl was female...didn't care, so hard to find...) or I hatch it from an egg, in which case I use it because I don't feel like hatching another egg just to change the gender...

I go by whatever's given to me by the games but genderless (especially Legendaries) almost always get genders. Of note is that non-Legendary genderless pokémon are randomly assigned genders.

I always think of Pokemon such as Gardevoir, Roserade, and Milotic as female. I can't really help it. Also, Mewtwo does look masculine.

IIRC, an interview stated that Reshiram and Zekrom were designed to be feminine and masculine counterparts, respectively, as to fit the yin/yang concept, although I personally find them both pretty androgynous.

If a Pokemon is the signature Pokemon of a specific character, I oftentimes end up associating it with that trainer, and therefore the gender of that trainer (i.e. N's Zoruark makes Zoruark seem more masculine to me). This is obviously not always the case, but something that happens to me nonetheless.

I actually noticed a little habit that I seemed to have developed recently; if a Pokemon's design seems to lean more towards one gender, I will usually consider it the opposite. It's probably my inner rebel trying to defy the silly idea that certain sexes have to look a certain way, but who knows. Sometimes it's just interesting to see some diversity regardless of sex.

There's not a whole lot of Pokemon that I give specific genders to. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Machamp (always saw him as male with those massive pecs), and Swanna. Don't know why really with Swanna, it just always looked more feminine to me.

Well for me Ralts can be either gender but Kirlia and Gardevoir are both female, in fact when I get a male Ralts I will use candy and/or daycare to lvl it to 20 then immediately evolve it to Gallade simply because I can't see Kirlia or Gardevoir as male, it just bugs me. I really wish that they would add a new second evolution for male Ralts to replace Kirlia.

I actually noticed a little habit that I seemed to have developed recently; if a Pokemon's design seems to lean more towards one gender, I will usually consider it the opposite. It's probably my inner rebel trying to defy the silly idea that certain sexes have to look a certain way, but who knows. Sometimes it's just interesting to see some diversity regardless of sex.

I do the same thing, only I'm a bit more gung-ho about it. 8D; I think it's bullshit how "oh it wears a dress/looks pretty/its graceful" means girl, and "its tough/has muscles/looks powerful" means boy. Pokemon are Pokemon, not human beings, so it'd ridiculous to judge a gender based on appearance. And by default, I assume every legendary is a guy unless stated specifically to be female (like Latias or Cresselia). Especially when it comes to Meloetta; I'll never ever refer to him as a girl.

Delphox should be only female. And so Braixen. Seriously! They wear dresses!

Delphox is based on a mage, and its fur is meant to be reminiscent of a robe, not a dress. Like Gandalf's get-up. Though I certainly have no issues with a man wearing a dress, regardless.

Last edited:
I like Delphox's design. It's unique, along with its type. Had it been ANOTHER bulky fire-fighting pokemon I would've groaned.

I do the same thing, only I'm a bit more gung-ho about it. 8D; I think it's bullshit how "oh it wears a dress/looks pretty/its graceful" means girl, and "its tough/has muscles/looks powerful" means boy. Pokemon are Pokemon, not human beings, so it'd ridiculous to judge a gender based on appearance. And by default, I assume every legendary is a guy unless stated specifically to be female (like Latias or Cresselia). Especially when it comes to Meloetta; I'll never ever refer to him as a girl.

Out of curiosity, do you label it the opposite sex for each pokemon, or just sort of randomly? ovo For me, it seems to be more random. I just tend to get certain "vibes" from each pokemon, and mentally label them accordingly. So some feminine pokemon are labeled as guys, some as girls, and vice versa. I wish I could say that I had some logical reason for labeling them all in such a way, but I don't. It's just intuition, I suppose?

Though, that's just my personal opinion since - as you said - it's silly to judge any species based simply on outward appearance, considering the fact that looks have literally nothing to do with sex/gender either way.

Well, I give all those Gourgeist female, but they have an equal chance of being male.

The true gender mystery is not Braixen, or Gardevoir.

What the hell is Tucker? A0A

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom